JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Since my manuals are old, sometimes when a new caliber comes along, none of my manuals have any information for it. This happened to me many moons ago when I won a .480 Ruger at a Friends of NRA banquet. I discovered there was a lot of load data available free over the Internet. Particularly from powder makers. If I was new to reloading and wasn't sure it was something I would be doing a lot of, or for only one or two calibers, I would see how much information I could glean from the Internet first. And by that I mean from reputable industry sources, NOT some random guy on a forum telling you to use XXX grains of XXX powder "and don't worry about the primers popping out". :eek:

In my case, I've collected several manuals because I've got a couple dozen sets of dies for different calibers. Only a couple of which I don't have a gun for - YET.

Since I posted this my Modern reloading by R Lee and my Lyman 50 arrived. I went to EBay and grabbed the Speer's 10th and modern hand loading by George N.
As well I have the one caliber one book for every thing I load. Thanks for all your wisdom! You all should remind someone your close to just how smart you are just to see there reaction!

You're killing me here. My newest manual is my Nosler one. So, I Googled and see the current Nosler is #9. Mine is #6. The good news is, I use Sierra bullets almost exclusively in my .25-06. Just please don't tell me the recipe has changed for the 180 grain Partition in a .300 Weatherby Magnum. Oh wait, I'm pretty happy with my current load. (Me, now sticking my fingers in my ears and chanting nonsense so I can't hear you.) :D
It's my personal opinion that the books are good for reference and guidance but in the end it's my load in my gun that I want.

Since I posted this my Modern reloading by R Lee and my Lyman 50 arrived. I went to EBay and grabbed the Speer's 10th and modern hand loading by George N.
As well I have the one caliber one book for every thing I load. Thanks for all your wisdom! You all should remind someone your close to just how smart you are just to see there reaction!
That Speer #10 has to be an oldie! My #14 shows latest update is 2010.

You'll like that Lyman book. A lot of powder choices and bullet weight choices. Likely most accurate powder/load bolded, pressures. History of the cartridges. I use that one pretty much exclusively. But I do reference the Speer 14 and possibly the Hodgdon reloading site too.
https://www.hodgdonreloading.com/reloading-data-center Their powders are limited to Hodgdon IMR and Wincester.

Yep, diff books can have diff max powder loads for the same bullet. That's why I prefer manuals that state what the testing condition variables were when they tested the loads they published:

1. Barrel length
2. Primer
3. Bullet seating/COAL
4. Temp
5. Humidity

Also remember the corporate liability drives publications to varying extents. One company may cut it closer to max Saami standards.

But, the most important data is how a particular formula performs in YOUR firearm. That can only be determined by your own personal efforts and keeping track of results.

Different manuals for different calibers. Nobody covers all loads, powders and bullets under one cover.
Talk about classic manuals, I have a Speer #8 from 1970. You oughta' see some of the loads! .44 Spl 250 gr. cast at 1200 fps. .45 Auto Rim 240 gr. cast at 1330 fps. And the first edition Lyman Pistol and Revolver Manual. .32 S&W Long, 115 gr. at 1100 fps.
That was clearly before pressure testing.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top