JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
American Select! Shoots in one hole in two of my 9mm pistols.
Am I missing something, or does Alliant's loading data site suck? I was curious so went to their loading data page and for 9mm 115gr FMJ all it showed was data for "Sport Pistol" powder. And they only gave the max load, not minimum and maximum, w/no pressures.

What is your number one go to powder when loading 9mm? Or if you could only have one powder to load 9 what would that be?
Ramshot Zip.

Pretty much because I started on it.

Charges very well on a progressive (Hornady Lock-N-Load).

Stocked up on special (pre-plandemic).

Then stocked up a bit more mid-plandemic & again about 2 months ago. Both of those weren't too far off pre- plandemic regular (non special) pricing.

Depending on the projectile, and magnum vs regular primers, I charge between 4.2 to 4.7 grains. So I can reload around about 1,500 to 1,650 cartridges per pound. Or therabouts.

Am I missing something, or does Alliant's loading data site suck? I was curious so went to their loading data page and for 9mm 115gr FMJ all it showed was data for "Sport Pistol" powder. And they only gave the max load, not minimum and maximum, w/no pressures.
They give out data for whatever new powder they are pushing. Tons of loads with tons of Alliant powders and they give next to nothing.

They give out data for whatever new powder they are pushing. Tons of loads with tons of Alliant powders and they give next to nothing.
Seems wrong. I guess I've been spoiled. I never looked at powders for trying unless it was in the Speer or Lyman's books I started with. It's amazing to think about it now, how many different powders would work, in a pinch, for these handgun cartridges.

Seems wrong. I guess I've been spoiled. I never looked at powders for trying unless it was in the Speer or Lyman's books I started with. It's amazing to think about it now, how many different powders would work, in a pinch, for these handgun cartridges.
Pretty much any shotgun powder is a pistol powder for some type of pistol. I tried the American select on a whim in the .45acp and the brass came out of the gun looking as though it had just come out of the tumbler and that is not an exaggeration. That is what got me to thinking about a try in the 9mm and after a little trial and error came up with a one hole group. I think the data came from an Alliant free handout from 2005 era.

Try finding 357 Sig loads for Royal Scott powder!

Joe

Try finding 357 Sig loads for Royal Scott powder!

Joe
Hm. I would presume in a case like that (HA! pun intended) you would consider a similar sized case, pressure and projectile weight and start low and work up. If you know it's a shot gut powder you should be able to figure out a load for .357 Sig?
https://www.castpics.net/LoadData/Freebies/RM/RoyalScot.pdf

I'M not going to do that, but it sounds reasonably reasonable?

Unless I'm making some kind of specialty load it's Titegroup, or HERCO.
HERCO can be used anywhere Unique can. But it has a dark burnt Orange flash, instead of the Arc welding bright white flash of Unique! So I use the Herco in any loads [ shotgun or handgun ] that might be used after dark!
And Titegroup is not position sensitive so I can use a tiny charge in a big old 45 Colt case with out any problems. In small cases like 9mm I get around 2000 loads per pound. TG also burns clean, and leaves very little fouling to clean from my guns. I mostly shoot pocket size guns in 9mm.
Until this last 18 months or so I have not loaded much 9mm. But with none available I broke out an old set of dies and was able to keep shooting. TG for practice ammo and HERCO for the performance ammo. DR

Titegroup is great stuff; very little blowback running suppressed due to complete burn. Does get barrel a bit hot and discolor brass, but it comes off in tumbler. Very accurate powder (as name implies). It's one of the powders that has a narrower range of safety due to uber fast burn rate, so checking throws every so many rounds is wise. Watch for accidentally double charging bigger cases. Will disassemble a gun in your hands.

i recently scored 1500 9/45 cartidges for components at a song of a price. The powder looks an aweful lot like titegroup fertilizer. I think the original reloader was drunk or blind... double charges, light charges, no charges, primers in backwards or sideways or half-in.... Darwin has a way of dealing with those people.

Pretty much any shotgun powder is a pistol powder for some type of pistol. I tried the American select on a whim in the .45acp and the brass came out of the gun looking as though it had just come out of the tumbler and that is not an exaggeration. That is what got me to thinking about a try in the 9mm and after a little trial and error came up with a one hole group. I think the data came from an Alliant free handout from 2005 era.
Did you use Alliant's American Select loading data or did you have another source?

I'm going to say he's talking .45 acp. Large case, low pressure round. Prolly not a good combo.
I kinda figered. And fast burning powders are risky there. The exception is 230gr over 2.8grs of TiteWad... a powder puff load using an 11lb spring that can be found on Hogdon's website.

I have been using Power Pistol for 9mm, 10mm, and .45acp for years. It meters incredibly well on my 650 and I can load from soft for my wife to +p for carry with only one powder in the cabinet.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top