JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Plinking...
1592275919929.jpeg
Defense...
1592275972630.jpeg

1) Federal HST 147 gr 9mm
2) Winchester Ranger 147 gr 9mm
3) Speer Gold Dot 147 gr 9mm

Practice is Federal Truncated cone 147 gr fmj, as they replicate the HST's ballistics, so I can practice at a 1/3 the cost.

I typically try to keep 1K of each on the shelf :)

Last Edited:
I wanted to like Hornady Critical Defense, I really did. But they fed like crap in my pistol, often taking a nose dive into the feeding ramp and jamming.

So I keep HST's loaded for defense. (I'll try the Hornady in my wife's Glock43 to see if it likes them, though)

For practice, whatever I can find that's cheap: Winchester white box, American eagle, pmc bronze. I try to avoid blazer brass because it's dirty as hell to shoot but, if the deal is right...I'm not real picky on FMJ's...and neither is my gun, so it's a win win.

For those that don't reload, you really should. The blue bullets I posted above. The more you buy, the better the price. I usually buy during Black Friday when they have a 15% off code too.

AF277749-1540-40E0-BC8B-406B3C950B88.png

I wanted to like Hornady Critical Defense, I really did. But they fed like crap in my pistol, often taking a nose dive into the feeding ramp and jamming.

So I keep HST's loaded for defense. (I'll try the Hornady in my wife's Glock43 to see if it likes them, though)

For practice, whatever I can find that's cheap: Winchester white box, American eagle, pmc bronze. I try to avoid blazer brass because it's dirty as hell to shoot but, if the deal is right...I'm not real picky on FMJ's...and neither is my gun, so it's a win win.
I carried the Hornady Critical Defense in .40 S&W in my M&P40c since I liked the performance tests and it functioned fine. Then I tried testing for accuracy at the out limits of self-defense distance and it was some of the most inaccurate ammo I had ever shot. 9" groups at 25 yards.

Then I began handloading for self-defense rounds and can afford to practice with what I carry and duplicate factory defensive ammo velocities using the XTP in winter and Speer Gold Dots in summer.

I'm well aware of the arguments against handloads for self-defense and decided the chance of it ever being an issue were about the same as me getting hit by lightning, while wearing a green shirt, with exactly $43 in my wallet, while being chased by Bigfoot.

Possible. But not likely.

Last year I was in New Mexico for work and shot a LOT of jack rabbits. I tried several self defense rounds in the 3 guns I had a CZ P01, M&P 9 and a scorpion. Did not notice accuracy noticeably better from one round to the next. As far as damage the Remington black belts were devastating followed close by 147g HST +P. Critical Duty and Critical Defense were not even in the same ballpark.

Federal HST or Speer Gold Dot for self defense.

Whatever is inexpensive and reliable for practice (except steel cased ammo, NO steel cased ammo in my personal self defense guns).

For defense use Speer +P124GDHP.
For fun and practice it's by the case and whatever Name brand SG happens to have cheapest when I go to buy more. Have a lot of S&B, Blazer Brass, Fiochi, and even some of the Win NATO stuff. When I need another case I get whats cheap or wait for the next time they have something like that cheap.

1- For concealed carry, buy 1 box of each defensive ammo on the BiMart shelf and put it on paper. Find the bullet weight your gun is most accurate with. Then buy that one :cool: . Hits are more important than the voodoo that round does upon entry.
2- bulk ammo in the same bullet weight a number 1.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top