JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
In my limited time of rolling my own I've learned...get a burn rate chart and any powder between Titewad and, I'll say, Silhouette should work.. Personally, I settled on HS6, after a gentleman at the range told me shortly after I started loading my own, that HS6 would be good for my full sized 9mm pistols. Because, the slower burn of HS6 would be appropriate for the barrel lengths I was using. A plus in my mind as I liked the larger range of powder weights listed compared to powders that are faster. If you are shooting a short barrel 9mm a faster powder may be more appropriate. Like Titegroup. Another plus to HS6 is you're less likely to double charge, as a double charge of HS6 comes to the top of a 9mm brass.

In my limited time of rolling my own I've learned...get a burn rate chart and any powder between Titewad and, I'll say, Silhouette should work.. Personally, I settled on HS6, after a gentleman at the range told me shortly after I started loading my own, that HS6 would be good for my full sized 9mm pistols. Because, the slower burn of HS6 would be appropriate for the barrel lengths I was using. A plus in my mind as I liked the larger range of powder weights listed compared to powders that are faster. If you are shooting a short barrel 9mm a faster powder may be more appropriate. Like Titegroup. Another plus to HS6 is you're less likely to double charge, as a double charge of HS6 comes to the top of a 9mm brass.
Excellent info thx!

Hummm......

I'd guess that it might just depend.....on what powder can/could be found on the shelf (at the local store)?

Rrrrright....nowadays....It's NOT like there are many powders to choose from. And...I could imagine that....some people will open up a reloading manual to double-check (before buying) if the powder on the shelf is even listed for the application (in this case, for 9mm).

LOL.....yeah, I use to buy powder from the Classifieds here. And, there were several times when I bought a powder...."Just Because," maybe I'd use it someday (in a crisis).

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
3.5 GR. BullsEye in the .38 Spl. 145 GR. Keith HP👍

Tried the same with the same bullet in 9mm and it was really dirty.
Now it's 4.5 GR #7 pistol in the 9mm. It's a compressed load, but it
shoots clean and is accurate.

Last Edited:
Started reloading the 9 mm in the mid 80's. Blue Dot, Unique, 231 and Bullseye. I tested all of them for accuracy
and Blue Dot seemed to work the best. It is flashy as others have said. These old powders burn dirty unlike
more modern powders. I now use CFE pistol, accurate and clean burning for jacketed 124 grain bullets. For
147 target loads I use Titegroup. It is accurate with a very small charge weight. Today you have to love the
one your with. Which means you have to use the powder you can get. I found a pound of Universal and it
worked great for 9 mm. Clean burning accurate and meters nice. Bottom line is many good powders
work very well for the 9 mm. I like comparing load data from several different bullet and powder
manufactures. It is easy with the Load Books USA One Caliber loading book.
s-l1600.jpg

N320. Bullseye, True Blue, Zip, Blue Dot, Power Pistol, SIlhouette, AA#5, etc.

Currently using Zip as I have a bunch of it and I can load pretty soft shooting loads with a 125gr coated bullet.

Tried many but Bullseye has always given me the best accuracy - and consistency with how close the ejected cases wind up.

I have always seen this as an indicator of accuracy.
Been using it for .45acp and 9mm for over 30 years. It's VERY accurate and you can get close to 2,000 loads out of a 1lb canister.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top