JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I had no idea this morning I would be reading about how common fake fish is and that will cause "anal leakage" so thanks for that I guess... I think I need another cup of coffee lol
Oh, I draw the line at anal leakage! That's what that "Olestra" stuff, I think it was, caused back some years ago.

Oh, I draw the line at anal leakage! That's what that "Olestra" stuff, I think it was, caused back some years ago.
Yep, I remember the Olestra craze! I got into the habit of looking at the back of every bag of chips for the tiny print "anal leakage" warning. That was an eye opening moment for me and Americas food systems.

Hey in my defense it was in that linked article about fake seafood, so its still technically on subject lol. Im in as much shock as you all I swear!

Last Edited:
Salmon. King is my favorite, but Coho is great too.
However, I haven't had an opportunity to try the shellfish and crabs.

Favorite for anywhere in the world: When I was in Boston area my favorite seafood was Bay scallops served at the No Name Restaurant. Used to be at 7 1/2 Fish Pier. No name or address on the door. You had to know it was there. Bay scallops were small, tender, succulent and a little sweetish. A different species from the much bigger sea scallops usually served in the region. And No Name Restaurant got them straight off the fishing boats right after they anchored further down on the pier. Served them as a huge heaping pile that filled your plate, probably 20X as much meat as anyone else gave you, even though everyone else was serving sea scallops, which were much bigger, tougher, and blander. The scallops were battered and fried, and had only a thin breaded crust. Were not mostly breaded crust as is the norm with scallops. Served with any kind of sauce you could imagine.

Salmon. King is my favorite, but Coho is great too.
However, I haven't had an opportunity to try the shellfish and crabs.

Favorite for anywhere in the world: When I was in Boston area my favorite seafood was Bay scallops served at the No Name Restaurant. Used to be at 7 1/2 Fish Pier. No name or address on the door. You had to know it was there. Bay scallops were small, tender, succulent and a little sweetish. A different species from the much bigger sea scallops usually served in the region. And No Name Restaurant got them straight off the fishing boats right after they anchored further down on the pier. Served them as a huge heaping pile that filled your plate, probably 20X as much meat as anyone else gave you, even though everyone else was serving sea scallops, which were much bigger, tougher, and blander. The scallops were battered and fried, and had only a thin breaded crust. Were not mostly breaded crust as is the norm with scallops. Served with any kind of sauce you could imagine.
I know the place, Amazing!
We used to get our weekend pass and go and find all the best local places to eat, ALL the best places were on the waterfront! Cherrystones was another outstanding place, right on the pier, fresh lobster and shellfish, their crab cakes were next level, and so were the lobster rolls, a feller could find himself on the fat boys exercise team real quick!

Did ya ever get down around Dartmouth, there was a place down there right off the main road ( Route 4 IIRC) Called DAVE'S SEAFOOD just a few blocks from the main campus, it was a mobil sort of place, but had the most amazing clams and muscles I ever had, and their sandwiches were amazing. YOu got WAY more then any nice restaurant, the prices were super reasonable, and it was an easy drive! My fav was a simple plate of Steamers in a white wine and butter and spices sauce, simple and yet so darn good!

Lastly, while it was a drive, there was a place out on the Cape right in the middle of Woods Hole institute, you HAD to know it was there, but it was to die for, they had the best fish and chips on the whole planet and near galaxy, it was right past the main bridge as you rolled into town and past the first buildings of the campus on the right, the give away was all the rusted pickup trucks parked out front!

If any of y'all ever get up this away....
The La Conner Tavern is an excellent place for seafood...and great beer to boot.
Not too pricey either.
Downside is that La Conner is a Tourist town...so parking is at a premium...and the place can be crowded at times.
Andy

I know the place, Amazing!
We used to get our weekend pass and go and find all the best local places to eat, ALL the best places were on the waterfront! Cherrystones was another outstanding place, right on the pier, fresh lobster and shellfish, their crab cakes were next level, and so were the lobster rolls, a feller could find himself on the fat boys exercise team real quick!

Did ya ever get down around Dartmouth, there was a place down there right off the main road ( Route 4 IIRC) Called DAVE'S SEAFOOD just a few blocks from the main campus, it was a mobil sort of place, but had the most amazing clams and muscles I ever had, and their sandwiches were amazing. YOu got WAY more then any nice restaurant, the prices were super reasonable, and it was an easy drive! My fav was a simple plate of Steamers in a white wine and butter and spices sauce, simple and yet so darn good!

Lastly, while it was a drive, there was a place out on the Cape right in the middle of Woods Hole institute, you HAD to know it was there, but it was to die for, they had the best fish and chips on the whole planet and near galaxy, it was right past the main bridge as you rolled into town and past the first buildings of the campus on the right, the give away was all the rusted pickup trucks parked out front!
Not familiar with the other places you name. However, the food available in Boston and Cambridge was extraordinary . What was the name of that roast beef place in the North End? Used to serve dinner only . huge long tables and bench seating. A line a couple blocks long when they started serving. ???

I still remember the sausage and pepper sandwiches I got from a food cart-grill in Haymarket Square.

For a while while in Boston/Cambridge I was going with a guy who was into Chinese working class food. He learned enough Chinese to order. Nobody spoke English and there were no menus. Extraordinarily good food for very little money. Basically the kind of food working class Chinese ate at home. Very different from Chinese Restaurant food, all intended for affluent people.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews