JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Simple is always better! Salt, pepper, lemon, butter, garlic, and maybe just a pinch of sage cause it's how Gramma did it! Can go nuts from there with pan fried and sauteed goodness with fancy schmancy wine sauces and exotic rubs, but I much prefer simple, let the food do the talking, not the foo-foo!
👆 Exactly this. It's the preparation and cook you put on it... not the foo-foo that makes seafood shine.

Why ruin perfectly fresh and delicious sea fruits?? Keep it natural! Light spice, a lemon squeeze... and of course... BUTTER!

I will say, we've been using a specific seasoning blend for close to 30 years now. Perfect for just about anything, but especially shines on sea fruits. The garlic gourmay's zesty garlic blend. Practically a "family secret" ingredient everyone always raves about... so keep it under your hat. ;)

A proprietary blend of garlic salt, onion, black pepper, basil and chili pepper. Any protein, garlic bread, hot butter dipping sauce... you name it.
Yes! Only thing I'd add to the "Simple" thing is Dill. Dried dill/fresh dill. When I used to get the Salmon/Steelhead, clams, crab, oysters, perch (still get some oysters a couple/three times a year) the first eating was very basic seasonings. After that I'd do a little more with them. Crab for instance, heaps of it on a simple crab salad. Oysters, on the half shell, with nothing more than 3 drops of FRESH lemon juice. Next eating, crab cakes.

Last Edited:
IF, you're buying and stockpiling canned tuna. Food for thought. Without even mentioning the FAKE TUNA stuff.

Aloha, Mark

PS.........WAIT, Wait, wait.......What was that about FAKE tuna?

That does change things.
If you eat your seafood out of a can then yes.... you'll need all the "foo-foo" you can muster to fool yourself into thinking it actually tastes good. :s0140:

Trout. My favorite tasting fish hands down. Salmon and steelhead are similar and a close second to me.
Maybe it's childhood memories but a good trout with some lemon after some fishing/camping puts me in heaven

Trout. My favorite tasting fish hands down. Salmon and steelhead are similar and a close second to me.
Maybe it's childhood memories but a good trout with some lemon after some fishing/camping puts me in heaven
Used to love trout myself. But then, the trout I grew up catching/eating had natural pink/red meat. The stuff they call trout now grosses me out just touching it. Get me some high lake Brookies and I'd fry em ' up and eat skin, meat and the crispy fins!

Used to love trout myself. But then, the trout I grew up catching/eating had natural pink/red meat. The stuff they call trout now grosses me out just touching it. Get me some high lake Brookies and I'd fry em ' up and eat skin, meat and the crispy fins!
This. High elevation brook is great! Used to fish the upper truckee river in ca had some great book trout there. The scenery couldn't be beat

IMG_1611.jpeg

if I understand right Brook trout are an invasive species here in Oregon and can even hurt the native species...?

if I understand right Brook trout are an invasive species here in Oregon and can even hurt the native species...?
Yeah, supposedly. I came to Portland from Utah in 1983. Was a fisherman from an early age with my grandpa and dad. And by myself or W/friend when I was in my tweens. Camping trips with family through ID, WY, MT and all over Utah. It was a shock moving here and finding such sterile waters in the high mountains, creeks and rivers. Utah fish and game made sure waters had fish, all kinds. For some reason many populations of fish there bred successfully. Even in high mountain lakes and streams.
I look back and now and know that those were the best fishing days of my life.

Technically, yes, but they've been there so long they'll never be eradicated. They compete with Bull Trout.
Ive never understood it how they manage brookies, in some streams they have no limit or size limit. Slaughter them essentially.

But then in other streams they have a limit or are closed to fishing entirely.

Brookies are a delicious trout.

IF, you're buying and stockpiling canned tuna. Food for thought. Without even mentioning the FAKE TUNA stuff.

Aloha, Mark

PS.........WAIT, Wait, wait.......What was that about FAKE tuna?

I had no idea this morning I would be reading about how common fake fish is and that will cause "anal leakage" so thanks for that I guess... I think I need another cup of coffee lol

Ive never understood it how they manage brookies, in some streams they have no limit or size limit. Slaughter them essentially.

But then in other streams they have a limit or are closed to fishing entirely.

Brookies are a delicious trout.
I think the theory is that in waters that historically or currently sustain populations of Bull Trout the Brookies are considered vermin and so they want them gone.
Truth is, we've altered things so very much that the ecosystems will never go back to the eco-freak Utopian ideal of a landscape free of the effects of man unless, of course, we are willing to eliminate man from the equation.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews