JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I enjoy most seafood (especially shellfish) but I'd say that my two favorites would be catfish for freshwater and eel for saltwater. I just wish the PNW had some more gigantic catfish like other places in the US, but our little ones are still tasty!
Many years ago we caught a couple of monkey face eels off the Barview Jetty, and in a ways from the jetty in from the Three Graces. I was so freaked out by how it looked, I just cut the line. The second time in from the jetty I decided to keep the 3'er. Easy to fillet and skin. That was some impressive tasting/textured meat. I couldn't imagine ever tossing on of those back again. I don't fish salt anymore though.

Many years ago we caught a couple of monkey face eels off the Barview Jetty, and in a ways from the jetty in from the Three Graces. I was so freaked out by how it looked, I just cut the line. The second time in from the jetty I decided to keep the 3'er. Easy to fillet and skin. That was some impressive tasting/textured meat. I couldn't imagine ever tossing on of those back again. I don't fish salt anymore though.
100% agree - They're ugly as sin, but taste amazing! I used to go jetty fishing for them every year (poke poling mainly), but it's been a while now. I really need to get back out there at some point.

I enjoy most seafood (especially shellfish) but I'd say that my two favorites would be catfish for freshwater and eel for saltwater. I just wish the PNW had some more gigantic catfish like other places in the US, but our little ones are still tasty!

When you say, "eel for saltwater"...are you referring to Hagfish, Lamprey, or something else? Just curious, as the Lamprey is the only eel I'm aware of that lives part of its life in the salt. I was always told the Hagfish, (Slime eel is what we called them), is actually not an eel. We used to get Slime Eels hung up in Dungey pots sometimes.

When you say, "eel for saltwater"...are you referring to Hagfish, Lamprey, or something else? Just curious, as the Lamprey is the only eel I'm aware of that lives part of its life in the salt. I was always told the Hagfish, (Slime eel is what we called them), is actually not an eel. We used to get Slime Eels hung up in Dungey pots sometimes.
This is what we're talking about...

Now I don't understand why they're saying southern OR and down. I was under the impression they were fairly common here. They have faces like a grouch old man to me, not a monkey. LOL

They hang in the jetty rocks, or other rocky areas. The reference to "Poke Pole" means a long pole with a short piece of piano wire and a stout hook on the end. The hook is baited with some kind of sea life and poked around in the crevasses in between large jetty rocks.

Last Edited:
Yeah.... riiiiiiight.... Is this a trick quetion? 🤣

We are incredibly blessed with all manner and varieties of fresh water and sea fruit delicacies in the PNW... not to mention our delicious clean water right out of the tap... where does a guy even begin to respond to a question like this??

Whatever is fresh, in season or can otherwise lay hands on... It's my absolute favorite... (at that moment). ;)

My kids would probably say crab. Of course, that's probably more because crab races across the kitchen floor before cooking has always been kind of a "thing" in our house since they can ever remember. :D

Last Edited:
I don't think it's been mentioned, but mussels are delicious steamed, and other than the shell fish license and a catsclaw or claw hammer you don't need any equipt to harvest them. I think the limit is 75 now, down from 150 when I was getting them in the '90s.
72 now, https://myodfw.com/articles/oregon-shellfish-regulations but I'll note that the trap for young players is that they are so easy to harvest, it's easy to get greedy and grab too many. We pryed off 18 the other day which was plenty. We cooked them with the 40 littleneck clams (2 limits, although three of us had licenses, someone wanted to stay in a warm house an read) we'd harvested and the 3 of us were full.

The other trick for mussels is to not get greedy on the size. Although impressive, a 7 inch mussel will have a brutal beard, be tough, and might have a bubblegumty pearl you'll break a tooth on inside. The 1-1/2" -2" size are just right.

it's easy to get greedy and grab too many.
The friend who takes out crabbing can't stand going home with less that our limits. Usually it's just the wife and I with shellfish licenses, but last time he bought one, too, even though he can't eat much of the crab because it causes his gout to flare up. We always end up bringing a cooler full of cooked, cleaned crab home that we can't seem to eat/give away fast enough before it goes bad. I really hate wasting anything we take.

I do eat really well for several days, though. :D

...we can't seem to eat/give away fast enough before it goes bad.
Although somewhat defeating the purpose of the deliciousness of "live to table", you CAN freeze some for later consumption. Best results are immediately after cooking and hot cleaning is to crack the body in half, completely drain them and dry the shells. Break off the leg tips (so as not to puncuture the pastic wrap or freezer bag) then wrap tightly and seal each half in plastic wrap.

Side note: Seperating the legs from the body can make it a bit easier to get a tight wrap, but I prefer to keep them attached. It seems to help prevent any chance of meat drying. Particularly in the body meat.

Immediately bury them in cube ice to chill them as quickly as possible while making sure they do not submerge in melted ice water.

Once decently cooled, remove, dry the plastic wrappings then transfer them (still wrapped) to an appropriately sized freezer bag, remove as much air as possible, seal it and put it to bed in your freezer.

Slow defrost in the fridge crisper, crack and enjoy.

Taste/texture? Certainly not the same as "live to table", but considerably better than what you typically get as "fresh cooked crab" from your supermarket.

How long do they last? Your guess is as good as mine. Ours have never lasted more than 7-10days-ish but I would imagine a bit longer is certainly doable. ;)

Last Edited:
What I really enjoy is fresh Hood Canal shrimp/prawns. I used to donate salmon to my wife's hospice patients while she was still working.
One day she texted asking if I wanted some shrimp, "Sure"….
She brought home a 40 Qt cooler full of iced down same day caught Hood Canal shrimp from two sons and the daughter of one of her patients. They were so appreciative of my sharing fish for their mom. :D

Inspired by a couple of active threads here, I thought I'd toss this out, considering we live in a beautiful region filled with a great many ponds, lakes, streams, tributaries, rivers, and the ocean, teaming with much bounty:

• What are some of your favorite species from fresh and salt water sources?
  • Have any delightful recipes to share?
Enjoy, friends. :D
Hands down sturgeon. Cubed out, dipped in Italian dressings, breaded and fried. Fantastic. Hard to come by these

2) Razor clams
3) Crab
4) Smoked Salmon.

A thread resurrection and a tangent, oh noes ...

Favorite sauces, marinades, etc. for seafood? I cook most of the dinners in our household, so looking to mix things up. Thanks and enjoy. :)

Favorite sauces, marinades, etc. for seafood? I cook most of the dinners in our household, so looking to mix things up. Thanks and enjoy. :)
Why ruin perfectly fresh and delicious sea fruits?? Keep it natural! Light spice, a lemon squeeze... and of course... BUTTER!

I will say, we've been using a specific seasoning blend for close to 30 years now. Perfect for just about anything, but especially shines on sea fruits. The garlic gourmay's zesty garlic blend. Practically a "family secret" ingredient everyone always raves about... so keep it under your hat. ;)

A proprietary blend of garlic salt, onion, black pepper, basil and chili pepper. Any protein, garlic bread, hot butter dipping sauce... you name it.

Simple is always better! Salt, pepper, lemon, butter, garlic, and maybe just a pinch of sage cause it's how Gramma did it! Can go nuts from there with pan fried and sauteed goodness with fancy schmancy wine sauces and exotic rubs, but I much prefer simple, let the food do the talking, not the foo-foo!

Why ruin perfectly fresh and delicious sea fruits?? Keep it natural! Light spice, a lemon squeeze... and of course... BUTTER!

I will say, we've been using a specific seasoning blend for close to 30 years now. Perfect for just about anything, but especially shines on sea fruits. The garlic gourmay's zesty garlic blend. Practically a "family secret" ingredient everyone always raves about... so keep it under your hat. ;)

A proprietary blend of garlic salt, onion, black pepper, basil and chili pepper. Any protein, garlic bread, hot butter dipping sauce... you name it.
Round here it's Chef Paul Prudhomme's meat magic, the regular old blend, not the seafood blend, nothing fancy, nothing else, and it is amazing on seafoods and shellfish just as it is! My all time fav is BBQ prawns in a Jack Daniels whiskey with butter and the Paul Prudhomme's, but you can change it up easy to Rum, or Tequila as tastes require!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top