JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
In the time I lived there, I never felt the need to travel armed, even if it were allowed. Perhaps it was because I was a foot taller than the average adult at the time (although the younger generations are much larger). But regardless the streets were safe. That and the fact that the police were all 100th degree blackbelts and had no problem demonstrating that fact on the average out-of-line drunk.

Keith

In the time I lived there, I never felt the need to travel armed, even if it were allowed. Perhaps it was because I was a foot taller than the average adult at the time (although the younger generations are much larger). But regardless the streets were safe. That and the fact that the police were all 100th degree blackbelts and had no problem demonstrating that fact on the average out-of-line drunk.

Keith

Agree with you on all of that. I remember going to Tokyo Disneyland and being in awe of not only how mega clean it was but how polite folks were. They are very private and keep to themselves but polite.

On a side note, anybody know where to pick up iodine tablets, how much do they typically run? I have little ones and hearing todays news I am thinking about getting some.

Agree with you on all of that. I remember going to Tokyo Disneyland and being in awe of not only how mega clean it was but how polite folks were. They are very private and keep to themselves but polite.

On a side note, anybody know where to pick up iodine tablets, how much do they typically run? I have little ones and hearing todays news I am thinking about getting some.

<broken link removed>

They may also be available at your local Super Supplements.. but if a panic hits it will vanish (after it's actually too late to begin taking them when the fallout hits)

If the winds look to come here I will hand PI out to my buddies and their families and we will all begin taking it in advance, just in case

<broken link removed>

They may also be available at your local Super Supplements.. but if a panic hits it will vanish (after it's actually too late to begin taking them when the fallout hits)

If the winds look to come here I will hand PI out to my buddies and their families and we will all begin taking it in advance, just in case

Ok, a couple more questions if you don't mind me asking... will one bottle be good or does it take large doses? how much for kids? any ill affects from this stuff short or long term?

great, one more thing to buy, better than glowing I guess.

The Japanese seem to be coping well under the circumstances, without violence. How is that possible in a country with such strong anti-gun laws?

Well that's an easy question to answer, it's because Japan is made up of conservatives and not entitlement liberals, even their LDP (Liberal Democratic Party) is more right wing conservative that the US republican party. Also social welfare amounts to 1% in Japan

Japan has public assistance programs benefiting only about 1% of the population. About 33% of recipients are elderly people, 45% were households with sick or disabled members, and 14% are fatherless families, and 8% are in other categories.

Japan extends zero assistance to non Japanese. Only about 1.6% of Japan's total legal resident population are foreign nationals.

So the reason Japanese help each other and don't look for an opportunity to pillage like Katrina is because they are not Liberal entitlement Democrats like the Democrats in the USA or should I say the entitlement Liberals here are so used to having things given to them that stealing is only one small step from their life of free government money.

Ok, a couple more questions if you don't mind me asking... will one bottle be good or does it take large doses? how much for kids? any ill affects from this stuff short or long term? great, one more thing to buy, better than glowing I guess.

You might want to check out this link for more information.

<broken link removed>

Interesting thing I just read on the NRC's site. According to the NRC potassium iodide does not expire. Manufacturers put exp dates on their products, but according to NRC "potassium iodide tablets are inherently stable and do not lose their effectiveness over time. Manufacturers must label their products with a shelf-life to ensure that consumers purchase safe and useful products." Glad I did not throw away my outdated Iosat.

Ok, a couple more questions if you don't mind me asking... will one bottle be good or does it take large doses? how much for kids? any ill affects from this stuff short or long term?

great, one more thing to buy, better than glowing I guess.

It's a natural element your body (thyroid) needs.. what you are doing by taking it is ensuring your thyroid does not absorb potential radioactive iodides, instead, by supplying all your body could want, in advance.. the doses vary from 30 to 120 MG depending on size and age. Children especially need PI as they are still growing and are far more affected by trace radiation

Some persons with health issues may want to take less or may not be able to take it at all.. and some medicines will cause complications.. ask your DR if you are taking such.. I am not in the medical field

You will only take it as long as the danger exists and as to that who can say? Fallout will eventually dissipate and wash away due to rains..

It's a natural element your body (thyroid) needs.. what you are doing by taking it is ensuring your thyroid does not absorb potential radioactive iodides, instead, by supplying all your body could want, in advance.. the doses vary from 30 to 120 MG depending on size and age. Children especially need PI as they are still growing and are far more affected by trace radiation

Some persons with health issues may want to take less or may not be able to take it at all.. and some medicines will cause complications.. ask your DR if you are taking such.. I am not in the medical field

You will only take it as long as the danger exists and as to that who can say? Fallout will eventually dissipate and wash away due to rains..

hmmm... good stuff. Thanks for passing all that on

The thing that is irritating me and probably confusing the public is the media and their stupid reports on this, some are saying one thing (it may be heading this way, it isn't heading this way, the reactor is in melt down, the reactor isn't in meltdown) They should just tell people to prepare just in case, but when has the media ever helped in a way like that. Its all about the ratings.

The Japanese are by and large still a polite society, despite their Westernization. Its simply a matter of culture.

Keith

Also, drugs are practically non-existent. They're there, but not easy to find and probably only about 0001% of the adult population even knows where to start looking to find something like weed, let alone meth, coke, or heroin. They love their booze, but tend to be happy, responsible drunks. In addition, families are strong, neighborhoods tend to be cohesive, and they place a value on hard work, respect for elders, and education.

I can't argue with that, nor with the assertions a few posts previous about the conservatism and non-entitlement mindset of the population as a whole. It is an interesting culture and I have been fascinated with it for decades.

Keith

Before anyone gets to hyperventilating too severely over possible radiation reaching the NW, keep in mind the radiation released has a half life of 8 hours. Assuming a 48 hour plus transit time from Japan, IF it gets here it will be very degraded. Considering the chances of the radiation cloud encountering rain on the journey, I'm not heading for the shelter any time soon. But all the info passed here is valuable, just don't want folks running screaming off into the dark.

Before anyone gets to hyperventilating too severely over possible radiation reaching the NW, keep in mind the radiation released has a half life of 8 hours. Assuming a 48 hour plus transit time from Japan, IF it gets here it will be very degraded. Considering the chances of the radiation cloud encountering rain on the journey, I'm not heading for the shelter any time soon. But all the info passed here is valuable, just don't want folks running screaming off into the dark.

very good perspective

Well that's an easy question to answer, it's because Japan is made up of conservatives and not entitlement liberals, even their LDP (Liberal Democratic Party) is more right wing conservative that the US republican party. Also social welfare amounts to 1% in Japan

Japan has public assistance programs benefiting only about 1% of the population. About 33% of recipients are elderly people, 45% were households with sick or disabled members, and 14% are fatherless families, and 8% are in other categories.

Japan extends zero assistance to non Japanese. Only about 1.6% of Japan's total legal resident population are foreign nationals.

So the reason Japanese help each other and don't look for an opportunity to pillage like Katrina is because they are not Liberal entitlement Democrats like the Democrats in the USA or should I say the entitlement Liberals here are so used to having things given to them that stealing is only one small step from their life of free government money.

That's like saying that the cause for soccer riots it Brazil and greeter getting trampled to death on Black Friday sales at Walmart are somehow the fault of Democrats.The Japanese have higher taxes, a more "leftist" health care system, and some of the strictest gun laws in the world so I wouldn't call the super conservative. Japan has a completely different culture with its pros and cons that goes beyond politics when compared to the US.

They are polite if you're Japanese or white, but not so much if you're Vietnamese, Chinese, Thai or Korean.

Cool it? How about radiation filling the Colombia river all the way down to the ocean and destroying all life within it? Nuclear power on a planet surface is sheer madness, and this location tops the cake. I could care less who had a "job" there..

It's okay to have an opinion about nuclear power, but its defensive rewards benefit you whether you approve or disapprove of its inception or location. Regardless, your opinion is irrelevant.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top