JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
We will win the battle against gun control when women see guns in the same light as men do, guns are very useful tools to keep the home and individual secure.
For many woman this is difficult (not for me) and I always run with the chance to teach woman about firearms which some times best coming from another woman but I gravitate to the concept that for a good class for woman it must have both male and female instructors who compliment each other but many times the male will (a testosterone thing) be overpowering in regards to his female counterpart which goes to the student getting a better feeling about firearms because of the instructors not working together. The female instructor may be in the same role (from a need to prove herself) which works the same way.

I am sure there are opposing view points to this also and with that keep in mind a broad view where we look at many instructors and many classes spanning across the country because that is what I am basing my view points from

If a male/female instructor set up is not working as a team, I'm sure most female students would sense the competition and be turned off.:( When asked my opinion about handling firearms, I answer, Safety first, marksmanship later.:D

I don't mind killing a spider for her if she can shoot straight.;)

For many woman this is difficult (not for me) and I always run with the chance to teach woman about firearms which some times best coming from another woman but I gravitate to the concept that for a good class for woman it must have both male and female instructors who compliment each other but many times the male will (a testosterone thing) be overpowering in regards to his female counterpart which goes to the student getting a better feeling about firearms because of the instructors not working together. The female instructor may be in the same role (from a need to prove herself) which works the same way.

I am sure there are opposing view points to this also and with that keep in mind a broad view where we look at many instructors and many classes spanning across the country because that is what I am basing my view points from

While teaching people about firearms is serious you can put way too much fear of the tool into a new persons mind. I find women become more self confident when they take on the learning for themselves but get some fun and humor out of learning. Takes the tension out.

When my wife was alive she got two girlfriends to go take the ccw class to get hers. They had a great time together and when they all compared targets she was very pleased. That growing carries on with people and before long I had to watch out for her taking off with my latest carry gun. My work made me travel alot and I had no fear that anyone would harm my wife, she was a good shot and knew what she was doing.

Fun will keep the pressure off, it's uncomfortable for new people so fun is what will help. JMHO

If a male/female instructor set up is not working as a team, I'm sure most female students would sense the competition and be turned off.:( When asked my opinion about handling firearms, I answer, Safety first, marksmanship later.:D

I don't mind killing a spider for her if she can shoot straight.;)
I have seen many female students being turned off by this and have come to me for private lessons. In recent years I promote live fire more than teach live fire as I am more involved with special clientele

Our club is trying to find ways to get more women into defensive shooting.

We have had several express interest but only a few clear the confidence hurdle. They may feel intimidated with "being a woman in a man's game."

One of our ladies had this experience:
She lives away from town and felt she needed a firearm. She had never been around guns so she went to the gun shop where she was sold a 44 magnum.
She came to a club member to learn how to shoot it. She now shoots a 9mm and has the skills to make her more confident and competent. I don't know if she still owns the 44.

We are considering a "Women Only" training session as an ice-breaker. I would appreciate any suggestions.

Sheldon

What drives learning is enjoyment and challenge. You want a kid to be smart then make learning something they want to do. You want women to shoot give them something that is fun and has a measurable challenge. They need to know they are doing better.o_O Again just opinion from what I see in the world. One more thing, people learn best when they are physically and emotionally comfortable. Weather control plays a big part of learning.

What has worked for me is a starter class just for women but must emphases that they need to move into a class with both male and female. First class is getting comfortable while a follow up class would be to reinforce skills taught in a mixed class because just attending a female only class does not get them into more of a real life situation where it's not all peaches and crème.

What I stress more with females too is concealment which is much different than male choices then introduce empty hand skills that teach exactly that, empty hand skills and techniques to get to her firearm when confronted with an average size make which leads us into disparity of force.

As some know I work weekends in a sporting goods shop and we have noticed the trend over the last 5 to six years.

Ten years ago we had a clientele of 95% men 5% women now it is more like 25 to 30% women and 70 to 75% men and most women are doing their home work. They have either taken classes or have one scheduled and come armed with questions. Yes we still get the new person that has never handled a firearm but they are willing to learn and listen.

I like it as anyone who is willing to learn firearm safety and enjoy my sport it is one more voter to help me keep my rights.

I will admit I have had to learn a lot more stuff on canceled carry for women as their body shape and attire do not always allow for the way men carry so I have been trying to do a lot of research and asking those women with permits how they carry.

I also agree that if a man talks down to women in a class or on the range it turns them off as we have had a couple complaints about one of our clerks that no longer work with us for this reason.

I also send folks to our local indoor shooting range that rents firearms to have them try a few out before they make a purchase. Yes we could lose a sale as they are competitors but I would rather have them in the right firearm than just try to make a buck but they usually come back

I did this for my wife a few years ago as she did not want an "Evil black gun" and yes she can handle it very well! The picture makes it look pink but it is purple.

purpleak.jpg

My wife tried several ways to carry her glock 26 and ended up with a fanny pack. She said while traveling if she had to use the toilet she still had her 26 close at hand. Carrying a gun in a belt holster works good until you have to do your business in a public toilet. :D

I get asked a lot, mainly by men what is the best gun for my wife/girlfriend and I have to tell them to bring them in as there is no one firearm for anybody that is why we have so many to choose from. It is like buying shoes you have to find the one that fits you and your needs. If it is too big to get to the controls or you can not pull the slide back, they make lousy rocks.

The next thing is never underestimate the power of a woman I have a niece that is 5-6 weighs maybe 110 wet and can out shoot any man I ever met with my Red Hawk 44 mag. She has no fear of recoil at all.

So if they are comfortable with a 1911 and feel they can hide it go for it. I try to show them the main difference between the semi autos vs. the revolver and then let them play with each. No two people are built the same, or do the same job, or wear the same cloths so there is no prefect answer to the question.

I also find it irritates some men when I talk to the woman vs. them but I feel if the gun is for the woman to protect them they need to be the one who is happy with it not the man. Because using her as an excuse to buy another firearm should not me their intention. If they want another firearm buy one don't use her as an excuse.

The reason I carry the Glock 19 is not because I feel it is the best thing since sliced bread it is because it fits my hand and I shoot it well and that is what matters.

No thought here, women need a class that makes them both comfortable and fun but at the same time under this environment safety is at least doubled (and this is for both genders) as fun = less concentration. My rule of thumb is too keep this style class down to one instructor per student with a line person behind monitoring the line for safety at the line and behind the line. With more experienced students I move to one instructor for two students rather than one on one. Bottom line is I want them to enjoy the first time out and make it uneventful in regards to nothing bad happening with things like crossing another human. Lastly, depending on the class length if time permits have all instructors and students go out for a meal afterwards where more times than not the student will reveal something that they would not on the range for various reasons such as at the range they were in learning mode and afterwards with a meal they have gone into a relaxed state. Oh, time of year does matter where I love all seasons and mud but not the average woman.

Just speaking from a lifetime of shooting an what I have seen I give this analogy. People afraid of guns tend to see them as deadly snakes that is going to bite them or somebody else anytime you get near the gun. You have to get them past fear with knowledge. Once they no longer fear the gun it takes shooting the gun to make it a useful tool. While safety is forefront and is absolute it's just like driving a car, you have to work into giving them freedom to drive.

You dont give one driving lesson and expect a commercial driver and one shooting lesson doesn't make a safe shooter. You need to offer follow up fun classes so they can see and learn they are doing better.

I helped set up matches and was an RO at those matches for many years. I was joined by a crew of good folkes that made matches interesting and fun. Winning was measuring your skill but fun is what it is all about if you want to learn. You can offer up something fun but with shooting no matter who it is it ends up who is best:D

Well I will leave you guys on this subject, I am taking up too much space here:D. Hope the new shooters have as much fun as I have had in my lifetime of shooting.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top