JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
"I reread the 4473 and you are correct about mental illness. I edited my post. However, line 11e is quite clear about drug use."

You're right on that. But I'm willing to bet that in Washington, Oregon, and Colorado there are a host of otherwise law abiding folks who don't answer that question truthfully. Thanks, though. This is an educational process on all of our parts, mine included, and one reason I like this forum above almost any other one I follow. For the record, as concerns drugs, I have an ex-son in law who left my daughter high and dry with a one year old kid after he ended up on meth, heroin, and anything else he could put in his body, seemingly out of the blue. He was a national Greco-Roman wrestling champion just out of the Navy when she married him and seemed like a really nice guy. But it turned out he had a past history of substance abuse and had been tossed out of the Navy as a result, something that he conveniently forgot to mention to her or us until it was too late. To my daughter's credit, she acted in her own child's best interest and dumped him immediately, something that was helped in no small part when she went over to see him and caught him in bed with another girl only a couple of weeks after she moved in with the baby to our our place. She's now happily married to a great guy who gave her another beautiful child and adopted the other kid after her ex gave up his parental rights. And it wasn't some altruistic decision on his part to do the right thing for his kid. He only agreed to do it once she agreed to let him off the hook for the tens of thousands of dollars he owed in back child support. I guess $30,000 is the going price for how much he loved his kid.

That was what actually got all of my family to get their concealed carry permits, given that he threatened at first to kill all of us and snatch the kid. In my opinion the drugs, at least in his case, were just a symptom of a terribly weak and narcissistic personality. When push came to shove, he was the only thing that counted in his world. So, while I may be a retired psychologist in addition to being a retired Air Force Chief Master Sergeant, I just can't bring myself to forgive his lack of character or his actions of putting drugs over the well being and future of his own kid. It's also why I chose not to be a mental health professional who focused on treating substance abuse disorders. I know that it's something that I can't personally deal with or help people with, especially after I saw it almost suck the joy and life out of my daughter and, if her current husband hadn't come along, would have set her own daughter up for failure somewhere along the way. My daughter has more character and toughness on her worst day than her ex had on his best day pinning some guy to a wrestling mat.

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top