JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
They aren't dogs... literally just a killing machine that is very smart! I'm fine with them being in Yellow stone or Zoo but I don't want to be surrounded by a pack of them while I'm hiking !

Okay let's compromise ! Just send them all to California , then you'll see a turn around in need of guns!
Yup.
A pack of about 8-10 turned loose in Golden Gate park oughta do for starters.

"This case highlights the fact that <broken link removed> ," McDaniel said. "We are seeing more and more incidents of <broken link removed> and human interaction in Union County. This issue has long been a challenge for local ranchers, and with <broken link removed> in the area more visible, people engaging in recreation are having dangerous and accidental encounters as well."

<broken link removed>

Long as you don't make your living ranching cattle I guess. I was a cowboy for a couple seasons in some various spots in Eastern Oregon and coyotes were dealt with the right way. I got pretty good with a .30-.30 from horseback out to about 150 yards.

Wolf attacks on humans in North America are rare:
List of wolf attacks in North America - Wikipedia

Attacks on livestock is another story.

As others said, I'd be more worried about cougar attacks - those are reasonably rare, but they do happen - be ready with a gun or bear spray. I like the woods to be wild - would not propose killing all the predators.

I've seen many bears, and have been too close to them while hiking - they are normally just as afraid of you as you are of them, but you need to be ready to defend yourself if needed with a gun or bear spray - attacks do happen occasionally. I like having a gun in the tent at night - particularly when you hear something creeping around in the middle of the night and you can't see what it is. :)

2 legged snakes are a bigger threat. Unfortunately my gun for 2 legged snakes is not the best choice for bear, but might do OK on a cougar or wolf IF I could hit it. :)

Id like to learn more about this if you have any sources to share.
Read the Lewis and Clark Journals. When they got out west there wasn't chit for game like deer or elk much to be had. They traded with the Indians on the coast here for salmon and DOG MEAT to eat because of the lack of deer and elk thanks to the predators like wolves and cougars. I have sets of Lewis and Clark journals. It's all this hippy dippy bullchit thinking these days, thinking we need wolves. We need all them in the woods like a hole in the head as the saying goes. Read stories of wolves killing humans in Alaska and Canada , it's no joke. They are killing machines. They're not little Walt Disney puppies to pet. People been watching too many fantasy movies on tv. For many common sense is lacking. It will only take ONE time for a wolf to kill and eat a kid you have or someone's kid, and then people will think and be singing a whole different tune about wanting wolves. I have personally seen wolves while out hunting, they are a force to reckon with, they are not small, and they can move real quick. Same with big cats, which I used to hunt for years. They are strictly meat eaters, and people are... you guessed it....meat? o_O

Last Edited:
I will admit I have never heard the views I am seeing here about wolves. Thanks media! /s.

The supposed benefits of wolves are keeping game from lounging in creeks, along with some other stuff I don't remember.

It seems like the best solution is a VERY limited number of wolves, that are vigourosly hunted to maintain their low population density.

I will admit I have never heard the views I am seeing here about wolves. Thanks media! /s.

The supposed benefits of wolves are keeping game from lounging in creeks, along with some other stuff I don't remember.

It seems like the best solution is a VERY limited number of wolves, that are vigourosly hunted to maintain their low population density.

Thats all ive been saying. But the anti-wolf folks think that means let them populate outta control and the pro-wolf folks are also anti hunting and like most progressive agendas will never compromise. Ultimately the pro-wolf folks will lose the argument when their plan gets outta control then they will riot and protest when the state allows wolf hunting. Lol

Again like many things...decisions are made by people who :
Do not have the problem...
Do not have to deal with the consequences of their decisions...
Or those who find a solution that is:
"Good enough"
Not based on science or the actual effect of the decision on the area in question...
Without the understanding that what works in one part of country , may not work in another part....

A balance between wolves and man can be made...but it requires a level of thinking that many folks can not reach.
Andy

Wow, a whole lot going on there....

1) Helicopter rescue of humans. I feel this may not be cost effective in the future.
2) She scrambled 30 feet up a tree. I may have to join one of those indoor rock climbing gyms soon, cuz that may be asking a lot for my withered old body.
3) She was a research student. I can't wait to read the paper she wrote.
4) Did anyone do an environmental impact study at the base of the tree where the unrestrained fecal release was?

Last Edited:
Again like many things...decisions are made by people who :
Do not have the problem...
Do not have to deal with the consequences of their decisions...
This is spot on - I have often used a similar analogy with similar situations - IE it seems those who have the least experience, involvement, personal investment with something are usually the loudest about protecting or preserving it.
A balance between wolves and man can be made
Maybe so but the women get chased up a tree!
Seriously though I am not so sure if it can. The wolves had their chance (environmentally) and did not make it where other animals (the coyote for example) has not only thrived but has adapted to urban environs and are doing better than ever. Wolves are not the only example of an animal that lost out to encroachment of humans into their world.

Last Edited:
So does this mean that if you are hiking in wilderness area with your pet dog(s) you should be carrying a high capacity 9mm/40 cal semi-auto vs 357 revolver?
No, you should be carrying both and a semiauto rifle in 7.62 with 30 rounds... probably in carbine length. Maybe a semiauto shotgun with 10 rounds at least.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top