JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If you both work, you should have separate finances. Create a joint account for joint bills. Whatever you do with your money is your concern, likewise for her.

If you are playing with cash instead of paying bills…well, not seeing eye to eye financially has led to more than a few divorces.

Raising children is a team sport with two head coaches. It's imperative that you talk with one another and agree on the plan.

If you haven't discussed weapons in the house before and just showed up one day with a newly purchased gun…kind of a dick move that says you don't respect your wife, imo, because going from no weapons in the home to 1+ is a big deal.

Once you've agreed on the values you want to raise kids with and how weapons will be stored, etc. then purchase away. I don't see this as "asking permission from your wife" but more so jointly deciding how you're going to raise your kids.

My wife's only question when I came home with a few more long guns was where they'd be stored so as to keep with our plan of safe storage. That was before she saw the safe. After that, she was quite happy I bought her the cherry color wrangler as well 😃.

Wife is usually with me when a new firearm is added to the herd, and sometimes, she sees one she wants or needs, so it's all good! I never ask IF i can buy a new gun, I ask her if she wants to come with me!

And lets not talk about her obsession with fancy shoes, clothing, coats, purses, Nails, makeup, and all that, what ever she wants, she gets, it's her money, she earned it, and she can spend it however she wants, and she never has to ask permission from me or anyone else!
I am in the same boat kinda. My wife doesn't have any interest in guns but she doesn't tell me how to spend my money. In return I don't tell her how to spend her money. Bills are paid money in savings all is good.

I find it's usually difficult for the married men that got into the firearms hobby after they were married.
I've noticed that in any of the hobbies I participate in. The young lads get emasculated early and have to ask permission for everything. Unfortunately, one of my BIL have that issue, my younger sister is a bit of a bully. I've told him to stand up to her multiple times, but won't do it.

One of the best things I did in life is not get seriously involved or married until I was in my 40's. My wife and I established ourselves early, have our own careers, hobbies, finances, etc. We don't overspend and don't worry about small stuff. I want gun, I buy gun, NBD. We discuss big purchases, but it usually goes; "I'm looking at this vehicle, what do you think?".

When she was shopping for a new Suburban, same thing. We don't share car payments or anything. It's what we can afford individually.

The wife has her purses, her shoes, her coats and her exercise gear, not to mention club membership…. She has her hair salon appointments every six weeks, as well as nails and whatnot, she drives the newer/better of the two vehicles…. So she wants for nothing.

I frugally shop for my clothing, shoes, outerwear and inner wear. As fashion isn't my thing, it's usually jeans and some sort of button down. Where I do spend is firearms related. So I figure all totaled up, she still gets the lions share of the maintenance expenditures…. But I have tangible valuables I can always liquidate…
I have met @nammac several times and can vouch that he's telling the truth that "fashion ain't his thing"…..

Flip-flops, 80's vintage REO Speedwagon concert T-shirt, pajama pants, and sportin' an old gray ponytail hairdo out in public… REALLY? :rolleyes:

;):D:s0140:

Last Edited:
How about this: You check in with her for a major purchase because you are equal partners in your marriage, including financially, and you expect the same from her.

Mine just wants me to tell her if l am going buy one. Most the time it's because if I buy one then I have to buy her one too. Which when you consider doubling the price per gun, it keeps me from buying too many. But I , uhh I mean we, really want a pair of Browning Maxus' one 12 one 20. Darn having Browning taste on a Mossberg budget.

Last Edited:
My wife is well aware of my frequent acquisitions but I also fund those purchases with side money made doing extracurricular work, not house funds.

She asked me recently what the total value of all my firearms was worth, so I showed her. She gave an approving "Hmmm!" but now I'm worried she intends to cash in both me and the guns.

-E-

How about this: You check in with her for a major purchase because you are equal partners in your marriage, including financially, and you expect the same from her.

For sure, but it depends on what you consider a major purchase. Firearms could be $200-$20k and up. I'm not sure the lower end of that range qualifies as a major purchase.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews