JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have a gun on me when I'm buying a gun .
No need to depend on the new one.
I load mine up as a backup. I see no problem with this. I also am pretty well versed in the firearms I buy. I just don't carry an empty gun. Even for transport. I also feel the safest place for the firearm is on my person.

I load mine up as a backup. I see no problem with this. I also am pretty well versed in the firearms I buy. I just don't carry an empty gun. Even for transport. I also feel the safest place for the firearm is on my person.
Hell I carry empty guns all the time but I always have a loaded one

Hell I carry empty guns all the time but I always have a loaded one
I don't carry unloaded pistols unless there is a reason. If it is going to a smith or for some form of work come to mine. Other than that, locked and loaded for me. (Long guns are a different matter.)

We're up to 7 incidents of attempted home invasions reported by people participating in this one small thread. 2 each for AndyinEverson and me; 1each for PNWguy, leadcounsel, and Wombat of Doom. All resolved successfully with no shots fired. Any others?​

I had three, none needing gun drawn. First two (both morning, about shift-change at neighborhood cop-shop) did not like the idea of tangling with somebody mean, fast and only-in-skivvies... (Trust me, if YOU saw my hairy, deadfish a** just-woke, PISSED and coming at you you'd run too!) third was at around midnight and ran when I hollered around the corner "you'll get the hell out of my house RIGHT NOW if you know what's good for you!" All of these several years apart, and while it wasn't needed I'm glad I had my hardware available had it been.

Thieves are subhuman garbage and should all die in a fire.

To fair...
One of mine was a home invasion.
The other was :
A neighbor's soon to be ex ( with a restraining order against him) was beating the ever loving life out of her
( my neighbor ) , in their front yard ...
As my wife called 911 , I stepped out on to my porch and told him to stop , and leave...he told me to go "F" myself...he then advanced towards me , crossed my driveway and approached my porch , all the while threatening me...
I backed into my doorway , reached in and presented my rifle , at that time a Marlin 36 in .30-30*...
I then told him to Get the Hell Away , which he did....later the police did arrest him...my neighbor suffered cuts , bruising , a broken collar bone and a concussion...

*From the angle of my shot had it passed through , the bullet would have gone through the soon to be ex , center mass and exited , going into the lawn of the neighbor's yard....

While I am glad I did not have to shoot , he was damn close to being shot , and to be honest , I wouldn't have worried over much about it , as I have over my combat related shooting...but that is another story.
Andy

We're up to 7 incidents of attempted home invasions reported by people participating in this one small thread. 2 each for AndyinEverson and me; 1each for PNWguy, leadcounsel, and Wombat of Doom. All resolved successfully with no shots fired. Any others?​
2 for me. The first one, the burglars got out before I could get there with my gun. They were in and out in seconds and knew what and where my valuables were - mostly high end stereo equipment. I knew who did it and confronted them that night, but could not prove anything. Last I heard, my former freind was in jail for burglary. The second was my Step-Daughter sneaking back in the house through a window late one night with her friends. Don't know if that counts, but I sure scared the panties off of them standing in my underwear with a .44 mag in my hand.

If you look up the reported stats .
Witch most that doesn't get reported because the gun was never fired
The difference between gun used and gun not used but stopped a crime just by the fact that it was there.
Lol .it's huge and if the main stream media would report all the times a gun was just brandished and stopped a crime.
Every anti gun person would be carrying a gun or even a empty gun

Mine is actually 2 I think you would call home invasions and 1 stabbed neighbor whose attacker I held at bay and at gunpoint. He had an aluminum bat and was yelling "bob and weave."

I can't believe we are even discussing this. It seems like we are being asked to justify why we have HD firearms... was it the advertising, was it the NRA, was it our redneck buddies? Couldn't possibly be that we believe in being ready JUST IN CASE!!! But statistics say... you wanna go with that or you wanna stay safe? Bad things happen to good people all the time!!! This really makes me steam! (edit: the same people that cite the statistical insignificance and low chance of anything happening to me, will go out and buy lottery tickets because, well, SOMEBODY has to win... it could be them. Friends, I don't think I want to win the home invasion lottery and find myself unprepared!!!)

BTW does it count if my best buddies wife had to pull/show her handgun twice? (Once a guy hit her inside her vehicle due to road rage, and the other time a guy was going to hit her due to road rage.)

My other best friend was awakened after midnight by yelling and beating on his back door in his fenced in yard. Some drunk was trying to get in. That buddy had made his GF sell her revolver because he was afraid she would shoot him with it. :rolleyes: So the drunk went away eventually on his own, but it could have gone different and there was nothing to stop it.

Last Edited:
I thought I'd tally, because more than one person said the need to use a gun for home defense is really small. And I had been required to do so twice, and there were others on the thread that had also. We were initially discussing just home invasions, not all defensive gun use. But other defensive gun uses are being mentioned. So I'm adding them. I'm counting it as a home invasion if the incident started in the yard but you retreated to and made your stand in your home. I'm counting only incidences in which you were present or your home was involved. I'm not counting the step daughter trying to sneak back in, just real attacks. I'll tally home invasions and other defensive gun uses separately.

Home invasions: Diamondback 3. AndyinEverson, Womb of Doom, OldBroad44, 2 each. PNWguy, leadcounsel, Pete F, 1 each. Total: 12.

Other defensive gun uses: 3 for me if we count the one where my mother chased off two would-be rapists. I was there but only five at the time. Wombat of Doom, EPS, 1 each. Total 5.

However, we started out just talking about the home invasions. So what about your other defensive gun uses? I'll tell about my mother and the two would-be rapist in a separate post.

There was also my ex's stalker ex which would add another, but since that was In The Line Of Duty (I was Executive Protection for her before we became a couple... kinda lived the movie The Bodyguard except nobody got hurt and I didn't Get Lucky) I'm not sure it counts. Again, the iron wasn't presented, but I'm convinced its presence still tipped the balance by helping level the playing field if needed.

Florida, Gulf waters off Panama City, about 1951. The family had an outboard motorboat, and we went out nearly every weekend. Our favorite spot was a small island far out of sight of land and way beyond where most small boats went. Dad would drop us off on this island and take the boat off to fish. Mother and 5-year-old me and my 11-year-old sister would swim a while, collect shells a while, then have a picnic. We never saw any other boats that far out...except the once. And there were no signs any other humans ever visited the island. The shell collecting was spectacular. Dad always carried his .38 revolver on these outings. Mother always carried her Colt Woodsman Target .22 in a black military holster with a flap.

One day while Dad was off fishing and out of sight, as usual, a boat with two men in it approached the island. Then they circled it suspiciously. Then they talked over the situation. They had to yell above the sound of their engine. Sound carries very well over water. Mother heard every word. Here's what she heard.

"There's nobody else on the island. Just the woman with two little kids."
"There's probably a husband off fishing in a boat somewhere."
"He's nowhere in sight."
"Let's take her!"
The bow of the boat swung around and aimed straight for us.

Mother turned sideways, undid the flap on the holster, and put her hand on the gun.

"Good God! She's got a gun!!!"
The boat turned and headed away. And that was all.

Did the would-be rapists plan to "just" rape my mother or to rape her and murder her and her two children? It's not obvious which they intended initially. But even if they weren't planning the murders initially, I think they would have realized before they left that they would almost certainly get caught if they left any of us alive. Even the two little girls were old enough to describe the men and the boat. There are just a few places such a small boat would have put in from. It would be easy to trace and identify the men based on the description of the boat. And they would have known that. I believe my mother, sister, and I lived through that day because my mother was armed.

Last Edited:
I was thinking of using a M18A1 Claymore mine...that would count as "low Capacity" , as its only able to be used once...:D
But I really don't want to remodel the house again...:eek::D
Andy
I've often thought that a claymore on the front porch aimed at the door might be useful in many different situations.

I've had to draw my firearm, thankfully I didn't have to shoot as the Lord sparred me from that.
Thankfully it was also outside the home.
However just as David had 5 stones but only needed to place one in Goliath's head, I'm sure God could help me also to place my shots.

I feel confident with a lower capacity pistol or revolver as that is what God gave me the ability to shoot best.(1911 or revolver)

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top