JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Was on another forum and guys were talking about their nightstand guns and most of them had 1911s or revolvers.

I have a S&W M&P40 full-size with a weapon light and 15-rds of .40 S&W ammo. The next gun I get to is an Extar EP-9 with 33-rounds of ammo and a weapon light.

My thinking is that this is my castle and my fortress. I am not limited to size or capacity, like when I carry in public, when responding to threats or attacks against my home, so why not have my highest capacity firearms handy?

Just wondering if anyone here has chosen a low capacity firearm as their home defense weapon and why. Guys in the other thread were all seniors and used what they were most comfortable with, which I can respect.

Low capacity for the sake of low capacity I can't really wrap my head around unless they're thinking (and stretching) that if they used 5/6 rounds, the jury would be more lenient than if they used 13/15?

I keep several revolvers in several locations in my house. I tend to think that when I am out by myself I take a revolver but when with a lady friend I take a semi-auto. And, depending on circumstances, when out for the night, and the character of the community I might take a pocket 380 depending on season and dress, but most always if I go to the East Side of Pdx I take a semi-auto.
In my bedroom I have two revolvers and additional on the top floor of my house.

I use my 1911 and Remington 870 Wingmaster with its 4 shot tube...'Cause I can shoot them very well.

I'd rather use a firearm with "low capacity" , that I hit with and am extremely comfortable with , than use a firearm with "high capacity" that I don't shoot as well with or am not as comfortable with.
Andy

My nightstand firearm is my edc, currently a Shield .45. That's 6+1 on board and a couple of 7 round reloads within arms reach. I've been contemplating an under bed safe for a .300 Blackout pistol as a secondary arm...

But today, I feel protected by 21 rounds of .45 ACP goodness. In some circles I'd be considered a senior, but haven't hit retirement age yet...

I use my 1911 and Remington 870 Wingmaster with its 4 shot tube...'Cause I can shoot them very well.

I'd rather use a firearm with "low capacity" , that I hit with and am extremely comfortable with , than use a firearm with "high capacity" that I don't shoot as well with or am as comfortable with.
Andy
Well, to be fair, those are high capacity cutting edge technology compared to what you normally shoot... :D

Single stack 1911 and P22 fit my quick access safe better then a fatter gun.

I do keep my G17 on the nightstand or near me and the safe open with a loaded 870 and AR with loaded mags available when home.

The only firearm I bought specifically for nightstand use is my Judge with 3" .410 Winchester PDX1 loads in it. Although it is only a 5 shot, those rounds are butt kickers (4 copper discs and 12 pellets) and low recoil. In testing from distances that would be my bedroom, Hickok45 showed how the discs mostly go in right next to each other (imagine a 2" slug) and the bb's in about a 1foot spread. Wicked!! I don't plan to leave the bedroom to check on intruders, so low capacity should be enough for one or two intruders. But right next to my nightstand is my braced AR pistol, 10.5" barrel, with a 20rd mag and a mounted light (for taking a position next to the bed if we have time). In the bedroom closet, mounted at grabbing height, is a Mossberg 12ga tactical shotgun with a 1200lumen mounted light (for going yard hunting). In the wife's end table is a mouse gun .380 because it's what she carries since she no longer wants the weight of a .357 which is now in her nightstand. All these go into the 5th wheel trailer with us when we go camping, along with a Windicator .357 6 shot revolver. (Edit: I need to put some electronic muffs in the bedrooms at home.)

In the other bedroom, where I am currently sleeping due to wife's injury, is my Glock 34 with a full mag, a mounted light/laser combo, and two extra mags.

At the entertainment center next to the front door is a Taurus .357 5 shot... because it's what we have available.

In the end table next to me is a Ruger SR9c with a 10rd mag, and two 17rd mags, because it is what I carry.

In the office is a Circuit Judge with 3" .410 PDX1 loads, because you don't want to get caught doing bills while your empty handed.

The alternative is to wear a holstered gun constantly, and I don't want to. No kids in the house and none visiting.

Just kidding... I lost all my firearms when my drift boat tipped over in the river.

Last Edited:
I keep an AR by the bed, edc is not far away...

but the AR is the goto for after-hours business.

Anyone attacking will have the element of surprise in their favor, I will likely be groggy and not 100% ...

I like the AR for having those follow up shots if necessary, three point hold for accuracy... the 50gr Vmax rounds will devastate soft tissue but will not over-penetrate to the neighbors or the other side of the house.

Im more of a rifle shooter anyway, but when Im at a severe disadvantage in defending my home/family... I want all of the help I can get in the middle of the night.

That and the wife is more familiar with the AR too.

I don't know.

I have reservations on magazines failing. I've had a magazine fail on me because it was in the back of the safe loaded for many years. I honestly couldn't recall how long it had been loaded. Anyways the spring went bad. Even though that isn't supposed to happen according to the internet.

I keep a better eye on my home defense guns and try to rotate the ammo and magazines. I still forget here and there and get complacent.

This is the only reason I consider a revolver as decent choice.

No magazines to worry about.

For those that choose lesser capacities, to each there own. If you are more comfortable with a side by side, power to you.

If you are more comfortable with a side by side, power to you.

Well, yes, I agree with to each his own. IMO this choice would be fine for one or two attackers bunched in your bedroom doorway... but the trend of multiple attacker home invasion robbery is worrying when there are only two shots and a long reload. Gonna have to beat them with it or hope they slip in the blood of the first two!

Well, yes, I agree with to each his own. IMO this choice would be fine for one or two attackers bunched in your bedroom doorway... but the trend of multiple attacker home invasion robbery is worrying when there are only two shots and a long reload. Gonna have to beat them with it or hope they slip in the blood of the first two!
Two or three side by sides!:s0090:

That'll work! What do they call that... a New York reload, or something like that?

Besides, one could justify owning more beautiful SxS shotties. Oh, and a Coach Gun, and a Mare's Leg, and... :D
I've always been drawn to this awkward shotgun.

upload_2019-3-17_16-23-12.jpeg

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads