JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Just wondering if anyone here has chosen a low capacity firearm as their home defense weapon and why. Guys in the other thread were all seniors and used what they were most comfortable with, which I can respect.

Because I'm really good with my riot gun. Besides, is 60-72 buckshot pellets really low capacity?;)

Last Edited:
Obviously you'll win then.

The point was that just because someone has 15 rounds, doesn't mean they don't make accurate and aimed shots compared to someone with only 7 rounds.

5" at 50' is impressive, depending on the number of rounds and the time. I do 15 shots in 4.25" in 5 seconds drawing from concealment at 21'. That is my benchmark. Aimed fire, all those rounds better be touching...

g19rapidfire.jpg

In GSSF matches, my typical close targets are 5 and 7 yards and ten shots in thirty seconds total...

GSSF2018febg35.jpg

Funny, was sitting here surfing the net and my dog started barking and carrying on out back, so I grabbed my pistol to go investigate since it was sitting here on my desk.

Warm weather has brought out the teens skateboarding by the house which is intolerable to my 100lb lab/Great Dane mix, lol.

Funny how I grabbed the gun closest by, which was my G19 that I had sitting on the desk next to the computer...

IMG_20190320_210311530.jpg

Maybe those that use the 1911's and revolvers for home protection are just getting ahead of the curve when eventually all of us will be required to downscale in terms of capacity.
The only reason I don't favor doublestack 1911s like Para-Ordnance or STI is my hands are too small!

That said, the main reason the HD drill has me grab the 1911 instead of the AR is the AR's easier to shoot and I'm going to be stuck with Untrained & Clueless having to watch my back, or defend themselves should I fall.

In my experience with firefights...
I have found that accurate rifle beats suppressive fire...so capacity isn't as big advantage as one might think.

I am not saying that a "high capacity" magazine isn't needed , desired , or not to be owned...but I am saying that in my experience it was the bullets that hit the target , that had the most effect on the fight.

Granted that the above is very subjective and open to argument.
It is as I said my experience after four combat tours...Others will no doubt differ...
Andy

I have found that accurate rifle beats suppressive fire...so capacity isn't as big advantage as one might think.

I am not saying that a "high capacity" magazine isn't needed , desired , or not to be owned...but I am saying that in my experience it was the bullets that hit the target , that had the most effect on the fight.

It is as I said my experience after four combat tours....
Andy
Isn't the old saying "Six for sure beats a dozen maybe?" :D

It is as I said my experience after four combat tours...Others will no doubt differ...
Andy

Never was a fan of suppressive fire. My thought was always "I have a finite number of rounds, and you're telling me to fire them as quickly as possible in the direction of the enemy? No thank you." Later combat tours revealed I was correct, as are you.

Get a set of electronic muffs to keep to your bedside--a full Dirty Dozen is unlikely, but there is a rising trend for Home Invasion crews of 3-4, and some are starting to smart up and wear body armor. A few have even gotten into impersonating LEO's...

Andy
My experience as well.

That said, the main advantage of larger magazines is to spend MORE time shooting and LESS time reloading. Every second you're not firing is another second the Two-Legged Vermin (suck my [redacted], crimsymps!) have to attack you uncontested...

Never was a fan of suppressive fire. My thought was always "I have a finite number of rounds, and you're telling me to fire them as quickly as possible in the direction of the enemy? No thank you." Later combat tours revealed I was correct, as are you.

I was never in the Army, Marines, etc... so I always thought "suppressive fire" was artillery, 16" Naval battery, or carpet bombing. ;)

@bbbass
"Suppressive Fire" can be small arms...rifles , machine guns etc...it is used to keep the enemy's head down , their returning fire inaccurate etc...

My use of the term for self defense is a bit over the top as I don't think that many folks will indeed shoot that way...
But may main point remains accurate fire is more important than the volume of fire , or the capability of the volume of fire...
Andy

True... but if you've got an empty gun your hit-getting is over. :) Hence my preference for aimed fire combined with ginormous ubermags that could satisfy a belt-fed... best of both worlds.

One should use what works the best for them...
In my current living situation , I am not worried about having a empty gun in any self defense situation I might find myself in...
Andy

Of course, one should also consider that every round you fire WILL have a sh-t-sucking Ambulance Chasing Vermin riding on it, which gives a strong incentive to Get The Job Done with as few expended as possible. Technology may be able to augment technique, but I think we can all agree the former will never replace the latter--if you have no mindset or skillset, you might as well not bother with the toolset, right? :)

I guess...
I've seen many a man die who had the "mindset and skillset" and many a man live who had neither.
Luck , fate , Karma , whatever...can play a nasty role here as well...
Sorry to such a downer...
Andy

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top