JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My go to used to be an 6+1 18" FNH SLP with a light but now I favor an AR instead. I have a magazine in my AR and I keep a spare magazine handy. With a two point sling and a light I am GTG.

Low capacity for the sake of low capacity I can't really wrap my head around unless they're thinking (and stretching) that if they used 5/6 rounds, the jury would be more lenient than if they used 13/15?
Unfortunately, that seems to be a consideration now.

Well, yes, I agree with to each his own. IMO this choice would be fine for one or two attackers bunched in your bedroom doorway... but the trend of multiple attacker home invasion robbery is worrying when there are only two shots and a long reload. Gonna have to beat them with it or hope they slip in the blood of the first two!

It would take a heck of a brave perp to see their buddy's head deflated by a load of 00 buck from less than 10 feet away, and then keep coming.

I enjoy shooting revolvers more than semi-autos, so have carried and practiced with them much more and shoot them much better. I feel confident about head shots, even on moving targets with my revolvers at all distances possible in my home. With a semi-auto I am slower and also don't feel confident about head shots on moving targets. I would have to stick with center mass shots. What if the home invaders are wearing body armor?

Sure, my revolver would be less than optimal if I had 7 or more would-be home invaders that were so determined to kill me that they persisted even after the leader and those most a threat were all shot in the head. But how likely is that? If even one person was that determined to kill me, he could do so easily by just setting up outdoors and waiting till I came out to get the mail and shooting me without my ever seeing him. No particular gun would get you out of every possible scenario.

Basically, I feel pretty secure with 6 rounds of 357 or .44sp.

I would love to have high capacity for my home. I would put S&W Governors in every room and an AK under the bed. However when you live in an apartment - like myself - I feel like low capacity in multiple locations is the way to go. High capacity in a building like mine (in a city like Portland) would be a god forsaken nightmare of a court proceeding. There is only access point to my home, the one I'm ready to put rounds on with a Surefire light at 3am. A handgun with an extra mag (24) on the nightstand, another loaded with (10) and two other (7) rounders in certain locations.

PS. I don't have children and live alone - so the only time I lock a gun up is when I am not carrying one / all of them.

Last Edited:
I find it difficult to explain why I own guns other then to say I always have been fascinated with them. I don't carry concealed and probably never will, I feel I lack the self awareness one should have if they are to carry. I don't train for any reason other then the joy of shooting and to sharpen my marksmanship. I have never bought a gun with the thought that it would make for a good self defense weapon, I buy for hunting or because they speak to me.
My house is a soft target even though I have reinforced the front door I have unbarred windows and sliding glass doors. Never have I been a victim of any sort in the nearly 30 years we have lived in our home.
So I am fairly lax about home protection in general.
We are middle class and do not have a lot worth stealing other then the guns..
So what I have done is replaced the master bedroom door with a reinforced door and I lock it every night. In my closet behind my robe I have one of those one gun digital drop open safes that I keep a Ruger Security Six in. The wife and I both shoot this well so it's always ready to go, the high capacity plastic guns have safeties or other quirks that could cause a problem for the wife and I, and with the grandkids being frequent visitors we are happ0y with this arrangement also always have a old cell phone on a charger by the night stand for a 911 call.
So yeah, if you want to do us harm please call ahead first so we can prepare the shotguns and AR's.

Home Defense: A solution waiting for a problem... and when the problem does show up, rarely does the solution fix the problem, rather it spawns more problems than you can imagine wish you had a solution for.

Mike

Home Defense: A solution waiting for a problem... and when the problem does show up, rarely does the solution fix the problem, rather it spawns more problems than you can imagine wish you had a solution for.

Mike
All of the above is very true and worth thinking about.
With that said , I still would rather be alive and having to face the problems of the aftermath , then be dead.

And with that said...
Both times I have had to use my house gun , I have been lucky enough to not have to fire it....but I was damn glad I had it and had the willingness and skill to use effectively if needed...And yes there were problems and issues to be resolved even without firing my gun...
Andy

For carry, discreet flush-fitting mags--eight-rounders for the 1911, a ten for the briefcase AR which admittedly also has two 40's in onboard carriers. Once home, the highest capacity reliable mags I can get--for the AR, rack a Magpul D60 drum into that bad boy, the 1911 McCormick Power 10's until I find a reliable fifteen.

"Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice--ammo is cheap, LIFE is expensive!"

Mike

Well, when you live in a state with the highest property crime rate in the country, it might be a good idea to be just a little prepared.

Smith and Wesson model 29 for a bedside gun because it's been my EDC for the better part of 30 years. Mossberg 590 in case the fight spills out into other areas of the house and Springfield M1A with a 20 rounder in the well and 2 more on a side saddle in case I need to take the fight outside. I'm an old guy and roll old school.

Last Edited:
Nope. Couple 20 rders in the 9mm, and yes I +1 it.

2x 30 rders loaded to 25-28 coupled together in the AR.

The bad guy isn't going to stand broadside and let you dump 5 rds into him. Fights are dynamic and fast paced.

Anyone in a fair fight didn't plan well enough. I am not being a tough guy. The opposite actually. I suck at fighting, suck and paintball and airsoft... Want every advantage I can get. And more training!

20190128_221316.jpg

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads