JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Not trying to stir the pot here. But why is it that so many gun owners talk about personal defense situations with a given firearm? In my 40 years on this planet, I've never been in a situation where a firearm would even have been a consideration to use against another human being. I realize most media outlets sell fear, and a great majority of the weapons that people carry and own are for person assault of sorts. But I'm not at war, nor are they. And my wallet or $3000 car is not worth taking a life over, no matter what kind of scum the perp may be. Hell, legal fees would be much more substantial for the use of deadly force to protect anything I own than the item itself is worth.
I understand then the last thing (IMO) to protect is my person. Or those that I care for. But when? Where? Why? These things just don't happen. Am I really that lucky? That a situation that would truly justify killing another human being has never happened to me, or anyone I have ever talked to? It seems the majority of violent crime happens to those who are involved in that level of crime itself.
Why do so many gun owners invest so much thought and practice into the idea that they may have to someday "defend themselves"? I know this idea I spin will set off lots of fire on this forum. But it's just a discussion, an opinion I am curious about.
I am a gun owner, by the way. Yes, I have a CCP. Lots of "black guns" in my safe.
They are fun to shoot.
Sounds a bit like you are trolling a bit. The overwhelming majority of gun owners and those with CHL's are not looking for a fight or an excuse to shoot anyone. Do you read the newspapers or Internet news sites? Are the headlines constantly proclaiming, "Another law abiding, licensed and trained gun owner with a CHL went on a senseless shooting rampage....". No, you don't see that. All you see are reports of people who do not follow the law (justice involved idiots) committing crimes with stolen guns. These are the people "looking for action", not us. So why do own our guns? We're Americans, veterans and patriots. We like to shoot. We like we'll made and interesting firearms. we like 2A. For those of us with a CHL, we like to be subtle and discreet. Most of us carry every day and it's such a natural thing that we almost forget it's there. I can pretty much guarantee that 99.99% of us never leave the house each day expecting to be in a shootout. We are more expecting some idiot to cut us off in traffic. We don't walk around fantasizing about shooting the bad guys like Ralphie in his backyard. We don't want to have to shoot anyone. We follow the laws, follow all the rules and just quietly go about our way. Why is that so hard for you to understand?

Not trying to stir the pot here. But why is it that so many gun owners talk about personal defense situations with a given firearm? In my 40 years on this planet, I've never been in a situation where a firearm would even have been a consideration to use against another human being. I realize most media outlets sell fear, and a great majority of the weapons that people carry and own are for person assault of sorts. But I'm not at war, nor are they. And my wallet or $3000 car is not worth taking a life over, no matter what kind of scum the perp may be. Hell, legal fees would be much more substantial for the use of deadly force to protect anything I own than the item itself is worth.
I understand then the last thing (IMO) to protect is my person. Or those that I care for. But when? Where? Why? These things just don't happen. Am I really that lucky? That a situation that would truly justify killing another human being has never happened to me, or anyone I have ever talked to? It seems the majority of violent crime happens to those who are involved in that level of crime itself.
Why do so many gun owners invest so much thought and practice into the idea that they may have to someday "defend themselves"? I know this idea I spin will set off lots of fire on this forum. But it's just a discussion, an opinion I am curious about.
I am a gun owner, by the way. Yes, I have a CCP. Lots of "black guns" in my safe.
They are fun to shoot.

A liberal is really a conservative, that hasn't been mugged yet..........

Banned all guns in 2012
Today civilians are being shot down in the streets because they are starving to death. Millions are fleeing to the US, many of them Iranians, Venezuela has the largest, nearly all Iranian, Muslim population in the western hemisphere, they have been issued Venezuelan passports and speak spanish. o_O

Last Edited:
They are fun to shoot.
They are fun to shoot.

Well, I'm just a run of the mill American, and I had reason to use a handgun in self defense on the evening of Nov. 1st, 1976. Had a nutcase home invader smash his way into my house that night. Grabbed my Dan Wesson .357 magnum (long since worn out), and was able to hold the bad guy till the police came and took him away. I'm now 62. I won't get in a hand to hand combat when/if someone invades my house. I didn't shoot the guy because 1. he wasn't armed, 2.he was alone, and 3.he didn't attack me since I had the six inch barrel pointed at his face, finger on the trigger and 100 percent ready, willing, and able to end his life on the spot if he attacked me. He made the right choice, and lived to see another sunrise.
And, no, I am not scared. I don't dwell on this incident. I only tell the story when someone makes a statement like, "Nobody really uses a firearm with success.", or "You're most likely to have your gun taken away from you, and used against you". These kinds of statements. This happened in a house I was renting on 200th just south of SeaTac Airport in those days. The property was bought by the airport and the house is long gone now I believe. Went to Airport District Court, where the guy got off with paying me for the window he smashed in, and walked off.

They are fun to shoot.

I'm not saying this to insult you, but you sound somewhat naïve. Yes you have been lucky, and you might never have someone attack you or try and take your life, for your entire life. But it does happen and it happens every day.

You have insurances don't you? Do research and you will find that people are shot every day. Women are beat up and raped every day. Men are attacked and beat up and injured every day. It may never happen to you, and that is great! I study and teach martial arts. I may never use it for the rest of my life, but if I'm endangered just once or my wife is, it's comforting to know that I have background training in martial arts that I practice every week. Yes I've had to use my martial arts to defend myself a couple of times in my 70 years. Thank God I had it because I would not be here today if I did not have the training. The same is for guns. Men love guns, their fun! But they are insurance against someone shooting or stabbing you to death. It probably never will happen, but it could—read the statistics.

Carrying a gun is just insurance, that's all. It's not about being scared; it's about having insurance, just in case. I have medical insurance, car insurance, flood insurance. I may never use the flood insurance, but what if it happens? I live on the edge of a flood zone that has not been flooded in sixty years, but what if it happens? Carrying a gun is just insurance that you will not become a statistic.

I think guys that study martial arts and carry a gun are smart. They are just carrying insurance against harm, that may never happen---but it could and it does.

5th degree black belt in AKJ Kenpo karate
1st degree black belt in Kajukenbo karate
Both of these are excellent street arts. I also practice the arts for physical fitness and as a very interesting hobby.

I've shot many handguns. I carry a .380 LCP Ruger semi auto. I've never fired it and probably will never use it. I keep it in shape, change out magazines every month, practice drawing it out and so on. But it has a great reputation for always firing and shooting all kinds of ammo. It's another form of insurance.

So pony up and carry some gun and karate insurance.
Sifu

They are fun to shoot.
A firearm is a lighter load to bear than regret.

I am not scared but I realize that Obama would disarm us in a New Yawk minute if he could. Plus, I have two charming 20 something muggers try to mug me at the Rite Aid drugstore a few months ago. I was carrying a .380 but used my cane to discourage their efforts.

The reverse side of some business cards I had printed
upload_2016-5-17_14-45-17.png

Scared? Often. I lived the first fifty years of my life not so much fearless as careless. Unlike many who live in their bubble and use denial as a comforter, I knew danger existed around me. Thirty years in Portland watching the decline, the drugs, the gangs, the MAX becoming a crime conduit. Didn't need any protection because I was young, largish, strong, male, and quite frankly most days didn't care all that much if my life were threatened. Not insane but not healthy either. 2005 bought a house in an oddly peaceful part of Northeast... 2009 had a child at age fifty. Had a reason to live and something worth protecting. No, I don't care what anybody else thinks of me or that statement, lol. I have weapons of defense in my home and when my eyes are open, on my person. Scared? Yes, at many times in many places, for many reasons. I don't own guns because I am scared, and I don't carry guns because I'm scared. I do because I now know and acknowledge reality. Stay safe. Oh, and I waved goodbye to Portland in 2011, thanks to the crash. Best bad thing that ever happened to me.

I live in Alaska the order of the day up here is to ALWAYS be prepared for what CAN happen MENTALLY as well as PHYSICALLY! I carry a lot of things on my person, every one can be used as a weapon or a tool, I could spin out on a deserted frozen road, and as long as I have my health I could survive due to my ability to use what is available, including my carry gun (except I would not challenge a Brown bear with a 9MM)

I carry a gun because I'm not strong enough to carry a whole cop.

Plus, there's been a mountain lion on my place and I'm hoping to eat him. After I shoot him.

Plus, I might need to defend you someday. (Remember Killeen, Texas and the shooting at Luby's?)

Just trying to be responsible. And truth be told, I kinda enjoy going lion hunting in my old barn.

I was born in 1951. At that time, there was almost no reason to carry a gun everyday. Cops were there to help. Today is different. Reality, cops carry guns to protect themselves, not us. Times change. I hope I never need it but am (still) a learned boy scout.

As someone else said, I'm too old to fight and too old to run (far or fast) so do I really have a choice? My family needs me to return home.

Then there is always out-of-staters that come to cause trouble and we can't let that happen. I still believe, we even have to back-up cops sometimes. Keeping inmind, I live in Rural Oregon where we still enjoy great LEOs.

All liberals aren't anti-gun folks. This liberal has fired many thousands of rounds in three forms of firearm competitions, and endless handload developement starting (under strict supervison) when I was just 14 (and am now 62).Also see my message above about using my first handgun in self defense when I was just 22.

It doesn't help your cause making generalizations about groups of people. If I'm in a group of anti-gunners, I speak out against unreasonable gun laws whenever and wherever I am.

I think the refusal to live in fear, of being victimized, and empowering oneself to be capable of competently handling any number of issues that are common to our society on one's own, is what is important, and a self-justifying reason for carrying a firearm (and being trained to use a firearm). Self-reliance is a mind set and lifestyle that makes the individual a better person irregardless of the reason why or other myriad details.
This self-reliance, this individualistic ability to think and act for oneself, scares anti-gun folk, and folk that think there should be a homogeneous vulnerability among the populace to justify a greater reliance on some 'higher authority' (not as in a deity, but as in government). Abdication of the duty to be responsible for oneself is being taught at large in western culture, and subsequently the acquiescence to authority without critical and self-informed thought. This is the sea change we are all witnessing currently, specifically in the unfolding of the generations. Older generations who experienced hardship understood that they had no one else to depend on other then their own, and out of the necessity of self-preservation, have naturally taken on the mantle of self-determination as well as all the means to do so (which necessarily includes self-defense). It seems that the younger generations (this is a generalization, I know there are many exceptions to this) have a different impetus and paradigm for their sense of self and how they define themselves. I don't know exactly what the difference is, as I am of the former generation's values, but the OP, whether in earnest or not, innocently or not, has demonstrated this fundamental difference in how one relates to the world with their question that seems to be anathema to lot of members of here, that the prerequisite condition to carry a firearm is one of fear. I, we, may say that the prerequisite condition to carry a firearm is so that we do not fear, and in so doing maintain our freedom and self-reliance for the maintenance and betterment of ourselves and our own.
So I think the variety of responses to the OP's query is very telling of the people that write them, my self included, and if the OP is still following this thread, then they may realize that however they intended their question, it is not such a simple issue of fear, that we are a plurality of voices with a plurality of experiences, like most self-identified sub-cultures in America, it is a part of who we are, and who we are cannot (and should not) be reduced to a simple answer.

Last Edited:
Status

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top