JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Reactions
Not trying to stir the pot here. But why is it that so many gun owners talk about personal defense situations with a given firearm? In my 40 years on this planet, I've never been in a situation where a firearm would even have been a consideration to use against another human being. I realize most media outlets sell fear, and a great majority of the weapons that people carry and own are for person assault of sorts. But I'm not at war, nor are they. And my wallet or $3000 car is not worth taking a life over, no matter what kind of scum the perp may be. Hell, legal fees would be much more substantial for the use of deadly force to protect anything I own than the item itself is worth.
I understand then the last thing (IMO) to protect is my person. Or those that I care for. But when? Where? Why? These things just don't happen. Am I really that lucky? That a situation that would truly justify killing another human being has never happened to me, or anyone I have ever talked to? It seems the majority of violent crime happens to those who are involved in that level of crime itself.
Why do so many gun owners invest so much thought and practice into the idea that they may have to someday "defend themselves"? I know this idea I spin will set off lots of fire on this forum. But it's just a discussion, an opinion I am curious about.
I am a gun owner, by the way. Yes, I have a CCP. Lots of "black guns" in my safe.
They are fun to shoot.

Only this.

There's a difference between scared and prepared.
If you can be prepared for something that may or may not ever happen, why not be?

Also, take a look at recent trends. The likelihood of being thankful you took the time to prepare is becoming greater and greater. The next 40 years don't look as though they'll go as smoothly as the last 40.

Police stop an old granma for speeding and when he looked in the window he saw she had a 44 on the passenger seat, and a 12 gauge in the back seat. When he asked if she had any other weapons she said "yes officer I have a AR 10 in the trunk".

He asked "what are you afraid of?"

She replied "not a damn thing".

Well in my 55 years on the planet I have been a lot less lucky than you. I have been on the other side of all those impossibilities you describe. So maybe they aren't all that impossible.

For not trying to stir the pot, it reads like you got a giant spoon in your hand.

So since I think you are a troll, enjoy yourself.

good day all.

@NoLimePlease The only thing gun owners are scared of are Judas Goat politicians and other lowlife tools of the people who are doing everything they can to take our guns away from us, thus undermining our ability to protect ourselves if/when needed not to mention violating our civil rights (see amendment number 2 and read what the drafters intentions in the Federalist Papers.

People like the Elitist Overlord Bloomberg, CreaseFreedom Oregon, Val "Buy Me" Hoyle, Ginny Burdick and the rest make me want to hurl just thinking about them.

Everything else was funny....

I'm not disagreeing or judging. Or "trolling". I'd just like to know what people's take is.

Maybe I used the wrong term describing my question as a "fear".
I suppose I question why so much is invested into protection from a very unlikely event. And why is there so much passion in the idea of personal defense in such a civilized country?
I see this ideology in 9 out of ten gun enthusiasts that I meet, and I am honestly curious what brought the perceived "threat" into the forefront of the armed American's consciousness.

The title of this thread is a misnomer. What makes you think gun owners are "scared"? I'm 6' tall @ 210-lbs (and I'm in shape), an 8-yr. infantry vet, was a Drill Sgt. and I can still project the demeanor and presence of one @ the flick of switch.

I work in all sorts of areas around the Metro region and "strangely" I NEVER get messed with (gee I wonder why), yet ONE time (several years back) in front of my own house on the sidewalk two cholo-thugs who weren't part of the neighborhood (I live in a small town and know my neighbors) decided they wanted to take me on after I told them to stop kicking my fence and teasing my dogs into barking.

Now had it been one guy I'd be all "if you insist let's do this", but it was two guys and one peeled off to my right in order to flank me while the other squared off on me in an attempt to keep me distracted... not good at all. I drew my Glock-30 and pointed it right at their faces (they froze in their tracks) and I let them stare (wide-eyed) right down the barrel for about 10 seconds (that's an eternity looking down a loaded gun) before I told them to get the "F" out of my neighborhood and don't come back around here again. They RAN off in a veritable cloud of dust, and I've never seen them again... ANYWHERE.

I wasn't looking for a fight in the slightest, but I would have (justifiably) shot those two cholo punk-a$$ POSes dead had they taken half a step in the wrong direction right there on the sidewalk in front of my house, and I really don't care if you or anyone else believes it. o_O

Last Edited:
here are a few reasons to carry

hqdefault.jpg 89bb3d37c75a1980fa425c8a066ec2db.jpg images.jpg

Now, any questions?

Then do you call the military or law enforcement scared?

1. We gun owners don't need a reason.
2. Evil lives in society whether you choose to believe it or not.

Were not scared, were not stupid either.
We are smart enough to study history.
We are smart enough to be ready IF evil chooses to come our direction.

I've had friend that have been shot or shot at, I've had knives pulled on me, and been in some very hairy situations.

People in general are crazy. One little thing can set them off and they will kill or hurt someone and have no regret or guilt.

Not trying to stir the pot here. But why is it that so many gun owners talk about personal defense situations with a given firearm? In my 40 years on this planet, I've never been in a situation where a firearm would even have been a consideration to use against another human being. I realize most media outlets sell fear, and a great majority of the weapons that people carry and own are for person assault of sorts. But I'm not at war, nor are they. And my wallet or $3000 car is not worth taking a life over, no matter what kind of scum the perp may be. Hell, legal fees would be much more substantial for the use of deadly force to protect anything I own than the item itself is worth.
I understand then the last thing (IMO) to protect is my person. Or those that I care for. But when? Where? Why? These things just don't happen. Am I really that lucky? That a situation that would truly justify killing another human being has never happened to me, or anyone I have ever talked to? It seems the majority of violent crime happens to those who are involved in that level of crime itself.
Why do so many gun owners invest so much thought and practice into the idea that they may have to someday "defend themselves"? I know this idea I spin will set off lots of fire on this forum. But it's just a discussion, an opinion I am curious about.
I am a gun owner, by the way. Yes, I have a CCP. Lots of "black guns" in my safe.
They are fun to shoot.

You need to watch the news once in a whileo_O

I find it interesting that places where I would fear this kind of "threat" tend to have the more strict gun laws. (California, New York, Chicago all come to mind)
I saw an ms13 member walk out of the little grocery store here in this little backwater nowhere town of 400 a couple days ago. The hispanic gangs are murdering people in Moses Lake, Othello, Tri Cities, Spokane, Walla Walla, etc. Anywhere there are mega farms there are ms13 and others killing each other for fun and profit. DON'T think for one minute this is just a California problem. The Central Valley of Washington is full of these guys all the way from Oregon to the Canadian line.

Last Edited:
I am 66 years old. Former Military and competitive body builder. I have to admit I will never win another fist fight and I am too d*mn old to run very far. Scared? Nope! Cautious? Yes! Seen too much human craziness in my life. I was also a Boy Scout. Their motto "be prepared" describes my current state of readiness. Shyte happens at the most unexpected times. Everyone must make their own choices. I have made mine. I believe everyone else on our forum has done the same.

Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads