JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Thats interesting, so what is the point of IDPA etc. target shooting with hollowpoints if they arent recommended for self defense?
I've heard some cases where competitive shooters noted better accuracy with the JHP (Precision Delta or Montana Gold) than FMJ or coated lead bullets, and thus for a fairly nominal additional cost for those handloading, and wanting every competitive edge, would go that route.

And there are handgun JHP projectiles for target shooting applications, such as I noted, which are not marketed for self defense type loads, and those JHP projectiles which are. I haven't seen any gel tests or such to see the differences in expansion.

If looking for less expensive JHP projectiles for target shooting, check out Precision Delta, Rocky Mountain Reloading, or Montana Gold.

Last Edited:
There are 2 types of HP's being discussed here and they are not the same. The first has the hole made in the casting process and then plated generally they are made to externally be the same shape and weight as a self-defense HP but cheaper to manufacture and there for market. Self defense HP's have the hole opened up to expose the lead core and flutes cut into the bullet to aid in expansion. The work costs more as it should. Hornady explains this here:

It is unfortunate that some people don't understand the difference and think any bullet with a hole in the end is a a lung blower outer self defense bullet.

I've heard some cases where competitive shooters noted better accuracy with the JHP (Precision Delta or Montana Gold) than FMJ or coated lead bullets, and thus for a fairly nominal additional cost for those handloading, and wanting every competitive edge, would go that route.

And there are handgun JHP projectiles for target shooting applications, such as I noted, which are not marketed for self defense type loads, and those JHP projectiles which are. I haven't seen any gel tests or such to see the differences in expansion.

If looking for less expensive JHP projectiles for target shooting, check out Precision Delta, Rocky Mountain Reloading, or Montana Gold.
Bullet bases are key for accuracy. It's easier to make a JHP bullet with a perfect base than it is a FMJ. Look at the base of them both and you'll see why.

1) Economy of scale - more FMJ/TMJ/etc.

2) R&D cost - FMJs require almost no R&D, if any - their design is static - no improvement is necessary. JHP/JSP/etc. - require constant R&D to stay ahead of the curve caused by competition and marketing (next best thing). A lot of testing of a design goes into these.

3) More manufacturing operations - FMJs/et. al. are simple to manufacture and the tooling doesn't change. JHPs/etc., require more steps; the jacket formed often with skives (inside and outside), lead swaged into the jacket and a hole pressed into the lead, for bullets like the Win SXT the nose of the jacket is then bent over the lead. There is sometimes inner forming of the JHP hole - e.g., Fed Hydra-Shock. Then there are those bullets that have a insert - e.g. Hornady. "Bonding" of the lead to the jacket for some premium bullets. And so on. Then there is the loading of the round - maybe a bit more dev goes into loading a JHP into a case than a FMJ?

Now granted - some of these operations are done in one or two operations of a press/machine - but the R&D of the tooling, the Q&A, etc., all costs more because the projectile is more complex. Q&A is more important for defensive ammo - if FMJ malfunctions, so what? Good practice drills for malfunctions. If defensive ammo FTF/FTE, the brand ammo gets a bad rep and people stop buying it, for years, if not decades.

Then there is the marketing/advertising, including the fancy boxes the ammo goes into.

It all adds up.

Finally, there is what the market will bear. Besides scale, people will pay more for "premium" defensive ammo than they will for practice FMJ ammo.

Yes, I will and do pay 2X for good defensive ammo, but in general I won't pay 3-6X or more; FMJ 9mm is 22CPR, and some sellers are trying to get $1-$2 per round for defensive ammo. In general I don't pay more than 50-60CPR for defensive ammo, especially since I have plenty of the chamberings I have guns for (with a few exceptions where I have at least the "minimum"). The prices are coming down and I keep my eyes open for good deals - I just got some gov overrun 5.56 SP ammo (60CPR).

Brass cases won't kill vampires.
True, I use these cases when in vampire country.
1682094097897.png

However they do it this is cheaper than most FMJ even if we include shipping.

I've loaded thousands of those in 24 grain 9mm. They're from X-treme Bullets. They're great for practice, USPSA, and steel challenge. They're not meant to expand but I sure wouldn't want to get shot by one.

There are 2 types of HP's being discussed here and they are not the same. The first has the hole made in the casting process and then plated generally they are made to externally be the same shape and weight as a self-defense HP but cheaper to manufacture and there for market. Self defense HP's have the hole opened up to expose the lead core and flutes cut into the bullet to aid in expansion. The work costs more as it should. Hornady explains this here:

It is unfortunate that some people don't understand the difference and think any bullet with a hole in the end is a a lung blower outer self defense bullet.
As far as defense goes, I always EDC quality factory ammo. JHP's like Underwood, sig, Sierra, etc.
My reloads are for target only.
Being involved in a shooting is headache enough. I don't want to have to also defend myself because I used a hand load.

As far as defense goes, I always EDC quality factory ammo. JHP's like Underwood, sig, Sierra, etc.
My reloads are for target only.
Being involved in a shooting is headache enough. I don't want to have to also defend myself because I used a hand load.
I'm an ammo factory and try to make nothing but quality ammo so I guess than means I can defend myself with my ammo.

These seem pretty decent, especially for the price.
I haven't shot anything with them yet, but they are reported to give good expansion at 1100 fps or so.

I have noticed that ammo prices have come down a lot. In the last few months, I have bought cases of 9mm FMJ for as little as $229 shipped.

What I question is why hollow point ammo prices are sometimes two or three times as expensive as FMJ.

With the cost of components having been so high, I have been purchasing cases of 9mm for less than the cost to load it myself. And let us not forget I avoid the 17,000 steps I have to use to reload 1,000 rounds.

Hollow point projectiles cost the same as FMJ, so I can reload at significant savings over factory loads.

And for lesser popular calibers like the 357sig, factory hollow point bullets average about $1.60 CPR. I love my 357sig and I reload hollow points for about 23 CPR, less if I'm not using new brass.
I love my 357sig (G32) because it's identical in size to my G19. I push a125gr projectile at close to 1,500fps. This beats the heck out of using my G20 (10mm) for EDC.
All it takes to make a HP from a FMJ is a wee careful touch (not too deep!) with a drill press and a proper size bit.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews