JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have noticed that ammo prices have come down a lot. In the last few months, I have bought cases of 9mm FMJ for as little as $229 shipped.

What I question is why hollow point ammo prices are sometimes two or three times as expensive as FMJ.

With the cost of components having been so high, I have been purchasing cases of 9mm for less than the cost to load it myself. And let us not forget I avoid the 17,000 steps I have to use to reload 1,000 rounds.

Hollow point projectiles cost the same as FMJ, so I can reload at significant savings over factory loads.

And for lesser popular calibers like the 357sig, factory hollow point bullets average about $1.60 CPR. I love my 357sig and I reload hollow points for about 23 CPR, less if I'm not using new brass.
I love my 357sig (G32) because it's identical in size to my G19. I push a125gr projectile at close to 1,500fps. This beats the heck out of using my G20 (10mm) for EDC.

I have noticed that ammo prices have come down a lot. In the last few months, I have bought cases of 9mm FMJ for as little as $229 shipped.

What I question is why hollow point ammo prices are sometimes two or three times as expensive as FMJ.

With the cost of components having been so high, I have been purchasing cases of 9mm for less than the cost to load it myself. And let us not forget I avoid the 17,000 steps I have to use to reload 1,000 rounds.

Hollow point projectiles cost the same as FMJ, so I can reload at significant savings over factory loads.

And for lesser popular calibers like the 357sig, factory hollow point bullets average about $1.60 CPR. I love my 357sig and I reload hollow points for about 23 CPR, less if I'm not using new brass.
I love my 357sig (G32) because it's identical in size to my G19. I push a125gr projectile at close to 1,500fps. This beats the heck out of using my G20 (10mm) for EDC.
They produce more FMJ due to higher demand would be my guess.

Hollow points cost more than FMJ's if you compare with in a brand and weight for the bullet.
Here is Speer for example:

I have to question the quality of hollowpoints that cost the same as FMJ. I would guess twice or 3x as much engineering goes into a good hollowpoint than a FMJ?

Hollow point projectiles cost the same as FMJ
Where? Last I checked most reputable manufacturers charge more for hollow points over FMJs. Usually as the process to make them is more involved.

Where? Last I checked most reputable manufacturers charge more for hollow points over FMJs. Usually as the process to make them is more involved.
Bulk plinking rounds will often be SP or HP vs FMJ but not have the same properties as a dedicated defense round and the former is generally the same price sold in boxes of 50.

Heres some super cheap hollowpoints.

Ive thought about getting these just to see if the gun would cycle "any" hollowpoint, these are super cheap. I would never use them for self defense ammo though. I do not believe they would expand reliably, I just dont see how for this price.

I have to question the quality of hollowpoints that cost the same as FMJ. I would guess twice or 3x as much engineering goes into a good hollowpoint than a FMJ?
I use Montana Gold JHP in my 357sig handloads, $115/1,000. They group exceptionally well.

I pay almost the same price for projectiles weather JHP or FMJ.
I purchase from half a dozen manufactures.
Last week I received 2,000 projectiles from RMR bullets. 1,000 357/9mm FMJ 125gr match grade Truncated and 1,000 9mm FMJ round nose - same price for each. Their bullets have won many competitions. only about $100 per 1,000.

I also use double plated Berry's rated for up to 1,500 fps in my 9mm, 10mm. The HP's and RN's are about the same price. I also use Hornady XTP's and Speer.

Last Edited:
Heres some super cheap hollowpoints.

Ive thought about getting these just to see if the gun would cycle "any" hollowpoint, these are super cheap. I would never use them for self defense ammo though. I do not believe they would expand reliably, I just dont see how for this price.

Those are inexpensive. Let me know how they work out?

From a large volume manufacturer standpoint (major ammo manufacturer), I suspect their component cost difference between the FMJ used for bulk or range ammo and the JHP for self defense is fairly nominal, especially when you consider the volume in which they are either producing or purchasing the projectiles. So I would guess their profit margin on JHP ammo are much higher. However, I imagine the volume of FMJ bulk or range ammo they produce and sell is multiples higher than the same cartridge JHP ammo. So low margin/high volume line (FMJ) and high margin/low volume line (JHP), to meet their financial objectives for two different customer segments, with some overlap.

I load a range of 9mm, from coated lead (.07/rd projectile) from several vendors, FMJ (.08/rd projectile) and JHP (.09 to .12/rd projectiles). Not much difference in cost for the various powders I use. So when calculating the cost from low to high on a case of ammo, for inputs I pay for (not counting my time) it runs about $120 per thousand for the coated lead, $10 or so more for FMJ, and another $10-40 more a case for JHP. So even on the high end, it's maybe $170 per thousand for JHP, with primers and powder purchased prior to the increases/tight supply several years ago. Back then, you could buy a case of 9mm for $160 or $170, so not saving too much for range ammo, but saving significantly for JHPs. As to how these expand, all I know is they blow up a jug of water well!

Last Edited:
Those are inexpensive. Let me know how they work out?
they are if you dont count shipping cost. For adding the cost of shipping I can buy the same amount or close at my LGS right now and not worry about porch pirates or shipment delays. Thats always why Ive never tried them.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews