JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I can understand 5rnd to meet hunting regs. I can understand 10rnd for Peoples Rebulic of CA; but why 20rnd?

There's only a few dollars difference between 20 and 30rnd. Why wouldn't you want maximum capacity? Am I missing something?

Are you talking for the AR Platform? I like the 20's because of weight and for the prone position (No bipod). But I tend to not have as many mag issues when using the 30 rounders though.

You can also get 40 round AR-15 magazines, and even 100 round AR-15 magazines.

Why wouldn't we want maximum capacity? It is a MYSTERY! D:
ccm000-4.jpg

Or ****... who needs magazines? INFINITE AMMO is the way to go!
Shrike556-CQB-LMG-003.JPG

...if you can ever get ahold of a shrike. lol vaporware. :s0096:

Its a comprimise thing, mostly. 20 rounders are good for any rifle when shooting prone, and for rifles that take a larger cartridge like an HK91. I personally wouldn't use anything under 30 rounds in an AK though, and run a 75 round drum in my Russian RPK clone (yee haw!)

Keith

20s are a good compromise between capacity and weight/size...especially in .30 cal cartridges.

In .22 cal things I can go with 30s and still get close to the ground in a prone (but 20s get you closer).

When shooting prone with a 30 round AR magazine, often it can either hit or rest on the ground. This can put upward pressure on the underside of the bolt carrier and cause issues.

All the mags but one for my AR are 20 rounders. Honestly, I will probably never be in combat. And since that's the case, if I can't get something done with 20 rounds, I probably couldn't get it done with a thirty...

When shooting prone with a 30 round AR magazine, often it can either hit or rest on the ground. This can put upward pressure on the underside of the bolt carrier and cause issues.

All the mags but one for my AR are 20 rounders. Honestly, I will probably never be in combat. And since that's the case, if I can't get something done with 20 rounds, I probably couldn't get it done with a thirty...

+1

Thanks for the info.

Yes, the AR 5.56 platform was the foundation of my question.

I can understand not going to a 100rnd drum simply due to cost. There just doesn't seem to be much of a cost difference between 20 and 30.

Prone shooting; makes sense :s0155:

Ironically the reason the question came up was I got a good deal on 5 20rnd mags yesterday ($7.50 each). I was questioning my purchase after the fact and wondering why I hadn't gotten 30rnd'ers.

Honestly once I get my own rifle platform (most likely AK, sorry AR) i'll be using 20's:

-Smaller and lighter. can carry more if needed.
-Agreed, if you can do what you need to in 20 before a reload, you can't do it in 30.
-20, easier to count to if you're trying to keep track.
-98% of rifle rounds come 20/box, easier to reload a mag on the fly, and not have 10 loose rounds bouncing around your pocket.
-Psychological: most anyone who shoots considers 30 rounds the standard rifle mag, so if they (whoever 'they' may be, whenever that 'they' may come along) only count 20 shots, they don't know if you got another 10 coming, or you're reloading.

I've bought several of the smaller mags, 5,10 and 20, for my AK. The reason or one of them anyway is when I am out shooting and I hand someone my gun to try with a 30 or 40 in it I get it back empty without an offer to pay for the ammo. I am more charitable 5 rounds at a time!

20's are good for shooting while laying down or at the bench. You will need a very long bipod to get enough clearance for a 30rnd mag and the gun becomes unstable with your pod legs pulled out that far. So I bought the 20's for shooting long distances.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top