JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Did you grow up with firearms or get interested later in life?

• Since I was a kid.

Votes: 394 86.8%
  • Later in adulthood.

Votes: 60 13.2%

• Total voters
@tac , and everybody else, this is the first firearm I shot. It had a different scope on it then, the old 3/4" 6x Weaver. I have that scope tucked away. This is one of the most important guns in my life. Grandpa bought it new. Dad carried it as a teenager. I shot it at age 5, or maybe 6. I was able to carry it on my solo walks through the woods as a pre teen. This WILL be the last gun to leave my possession. Marlin 81DL.

View attachment 1318809
I have a spare 3/4" Weaver scope if anybody should ever need one............

And they had that refinery up that way didn't they. Back then? Anacortes wasn't it? Where I grew up, just South 12 miles of Salt Lake City, there was a small refinery in North Salt Lake. That may have kept our prices down a bit. I never gave gas price much thought at that age. I worked and we chipped in for gas for the cars when us kids were out and about. I didn't have my own car 'til I got out of high school in.
I have never been anywhere near any refinery's, but I seem to remember seeing all the fuel trucks lining up to fill their tanks somewhere between Tacoma and Seattle. I used to drive that stretch in the early 90's, back when I worked on the big trucks.
I know there's a big refinery up near Bellingham. Some of the most expensive gas in the state, or it was for a while anyway.

It does not matter the location of a refinery. We had a refinery in Cody, Husky Oil, but they did not provide fuel locally as they did not have a local distributor, at least in '67

I was born and raised on a small horse outfit outside of Moscow, ID. My biological dad was a writer for Field & Stream, owned a chain of gun shops in the region, and was a Marine sniper. Stepdad was a rancher, then a cop, then FBI, then Chief of Police.

I got my first .22 at age 10 and was let loose in the Idaho woods alone with my trusty firearm. By age 13, I was riding horseback 50 miles a day in the mountains with a .22 Ruger Single-Six on my hip, alone, and would camp out in the woods occasionally.

I don't remember ever not knowing about guns or having one handy.

Seems a lot of folks these days grew up without firearms and got into them later in life.

I admit to sometimes not understanding their perspectives or issues with firearms and being a bit insensitive about certain subjects with folks like that.

Just wondering who else here had a proper upbringing like me.
Spent summers as a kid with Gramps- he was a little gypo logger. never far from a gun.

Here in UK it's a dangerous thing to be 'passionate' about shooting. The authorities tend to equate 'passion' with 'out-of-control-gun-crazy', so I just admit that guns and shooting hold a lot of interest for me, and leave it at that.

Here in UK it's a dangerous thing to be 'passionate' about shooting. The authorities tend to equate 'passion' with 'out-of-control-gun-crazy', so I just admit that guns and shooting hold a lot of interest for me, and leave it at that.
Sadly, it's becoming more and more like that around here. But I'm passionate about most things I do.

It's very odd but I find that these days I don't have any friends that either don't shoot, or don't play trains. A couple of ladies of my generation, who really are good friends of many years, are widows of shooters and understand where I'm coming from.

I believe I am Making up for lost time.

Here's where I'm at. I never was serious about firearms until 2009 when Dad gave me his old guns. Two of them solid and well functional. I dove in. Have bought more and been loading for most of them. What really kills me is I feel like I'm just getting started, and here come the dims to tell me that I'm not trustworthy with firearms and want's me to bend over and yield to THEIR wet dreams Gun Control!! I've taken my responsibility damn seriously! And this is what I get!

Miserable sacs!

But that's not 'real' is it? Like learning to fly an airplane watching the video game whose name I can't recall.
Funny enough that guy a while back who took off in a plane from the airport here had never flown. He had played some video game that was supposed to be pretty realistic and he got the damn thing up and flew it around long enough for them to scramble jets from down in OR breaking the sound barrier as they raced up here to shoot him down in needed. He gave some people up here a little show then crashed it and killed himself. It was impressive that he got it up in the air and flew it though never having had any flight time or training other than that game.

Funny enough that guy a while back who took off in a plane from the airport here had never flown. He had played some video game that was supposed to be pretty realistic and he got the damn thing up and flew it around long enough for them to scramble jets from down in OR breaking the sound barrier as they raced up here to shoot him down in needed. He gave some people up here a little show then crashed it and killed himself. It was impressive that he got it up in the air and flew it though never having had any flight time or training other than that game.
No doubt! That was a news headline for days.

I had a couple of flight simulators some years ago. One was "Jane's Fighters Anthology". And I had a demo of the "Microsoft Flight Simulator". I loved the Jane's. The other was too real. But I'm going to guess the "flying" isn't all that difficult if you knew how get the craft up and running and down the runway. Landing would be another thing for sure.

What say you @Ura-Ki ?

I was seven years old my dad gave me a Marlin 39 and a pocket full of shells the only catch " Whatever you shoot you have to eat ". I spent the day shooting at pine cones and rocks believe it or not I still have that rifle and still looks great !

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top