JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Did you grow up with firearms or get interested later in life?

• Since I was a kid.

Votes: 394 86.8%
  • Later in adulthood.

Votes: 60 13.2%

• Total voters
It's NOT only about growing up with guns. It's also about, "What did your parents teach you, while growing up with guns?"

Taken from.

OMG!!!

Aloha, Mark
Isn't that for sure. How many eagle scouts are doing drive by shootings and robbing people at gun point?

One talking point that isn't popular with a certain political side is that there are simply just some crappy people/cultures and no matter what you throw at them to try and help they are just going to still be crappy. They instead like to scapegoat guns and blame sn inanimate object for the actions of crappy people.

Isn't that for sure. How many eagle scouts are doing drive by shootings and robbing people at gun point?

One talking point that isn't popular with a certain political side is that there are simply just some crappy people/cultures and no matter what you throw at them to try and help they are just going to still be crappy. They instead like to scapegoat guns and blame sn inanimate object for the actions of crappy people.
Yeah there is a culture problem I think. I'm in between the x and millennials, and I think thebyounger ones aren't being taught any practical principals. They're growing up online raised by salesmen for entertainment products. Bill Mayur has a clip on YouTube about how Hollywood denounces guns, yet every movie is about striking back at their transgressors in a vengeance story, usually using guns, and how glorious and rightous it is. We're in some kind of lash-out period in history.

Yeah there is a culture problem I think. I'm in between the x and millennials, and I think thebyounger ones aren't being taught any practical principals. They're growing up online raised by salesmen for entertainment products. Bill Mayur has a clip on YouTube about how Hollywood denounces guns, yet every movie is about striking back at their transgressors in a vengeance story, usually using guns, and how glorious and rightous it is. We're in some kind of lash-out period in history.
I few it as a issue of morals and fatherlessness. A moral people don't need laws, and the fatherless rate in America is appalling, especially for certain groups.

I few it as a issue of morals and fatherlessness. A moral people don't need laws, and the fatherless rate in America is appalling, especially for certain groups.
I think this has a lot to do with it. I would throw out there too, that you don't need a mother and father. Two mothers/fathers would go a long way. People with no moral compass, or ignoring basic right and wrong, I would think, are more likely to not have partners. No one want's to partner up with those kind They end up raising children on their own. And the Gov PAYS them to do it!

Culture sure is the issue. I remember when Dad and I could go into the local gas station/hardware/fishing tackle/tow truck store, buy a case of dynamite along with caps & fuse, and just pay cash like we would have for any of the guns behind the counter. It was not a violent society.

I think this has a lot to do with it. I would throw out there too, that you don't need a mother and father. Two mothers/fathers would go a long way. People with no moral compass, or ignoring basic right and wrong, I would think, are more likely to not have partners. No one want's to partner up with those kind They end up raising children on their own. And the Gov PAYS them to do it!
While ANY positively involved parent is better than none, it is incorrect to assume that two females or two males can provide the same benefit of the well rounded bond/upbringing that man and a woman (mother and father) provide.

For example, how do two lesbians teach a boy how to be a man?

There are a lot of children who have missed out on having fathers or mothers and wished that they had them:

While ANY positively involved parent is better than none, it is incorrect to assume that two females or two males can provide the same benefit of the well rounded bond/upbringing that man and a woman (mother and father) provide.

For example, how do two lesbians teach a boy how to be a man?
We'll have to agree to disagree then. Right is right and wrong is wrong. Two parents that are good decent and well rounded can convey to the little ones everything they need to grow up happy healthy and good people.

We'll have to agree to disagree then. Right is right and wrong is wrong. Two parents that are good decent and well rounded can convey to the little ones everything they need to grow up happy healthy and good people.
Plenty of children who have actually grown up without fathers, or mothers, would disagree with you.

Grew up on a small farm and guns were always a part of my upbringing. Learned to shoot with the same gun that my older brothers and sister used. That was a little Rem 511 that had been my Father's 10th birthday present. It resides in my safe now and is still a great shooter.

I'm talking about a two parent household being the key.
Two parent households, just by the nature of having 100% more "parent" than single parent households, can be an obvious benefit. That is also largely dependent on the quality of the parents. Two crappy parents are likely not equal to one great parent.

There's also plenty to show that having a biological mother and father is the best case scenario in every way apart from extreme circumstances.

Two parent households, just by the nature of having 100% more "parent" than single parent households, can be an obvious benefit. That is also largely dependent on the quality of the parents. Two crappy parents are likely not equal to one great parent.

There's also plenty to show that having a biological mother and father is the best case scenario in every way apart from extreme circumstances.
No offense here, but this is untrue! My first wife lost both her parents to a drunken driving accident both were dead beats and both were flaming drunk when they crashed and burned, leaving my wife to be raised by her single Grandmother. She had as much a chance to fail as any, but she didn't, she got strait A's in school, wore second hand clothes, went to the prom in a dress her grand mother made by hand with recycled old clothes!

Another friend was one of Five siblings who lost both parents in a freak accident, she was raised by a single aunt who took all five despite her situation, and she raised them and made sure they were treated well and loved! Tell me again how this two parents thing is supposed to work, life ain't easy, sh!t happens and you gotta make choices no one should have to make, but when you find your self in it, you can choose to fail, or you can choose to fight and make something of your self, despite the challenges!

No offense here, but this is untrue! My first wife lost both her parents to a drunken driving accident both were dead beats and both were flaming drunk when they crashed and burned, leaving my wife to be raised by her single Grandmother. She had as much a chance to fail as any, but she didn't, she got strait A's in school, wore second hand clothes, went to the prom in a dress her grand mother made by hand with recycled old clothes!

Another friend was one of Five siblings who lost both parents in a freak accident, she was raised by a single aunt who took all five despite her situation, and she raised them and made sure they were treated well and loved! Tell me again how this two parents thing is supposed to work, life ain't easy, sh!t happens and you gotta make choices no one should have to make, but when you find your self in it, you can choose to fail, or you can choose to fight and make something of your self, despite the challenges!
Not to get two far afield, but those are both kind of extreme circumstances.

I would say being orphaned as you are describing has a different psychological impact than abandonment by choice of a parent. I talk a lot to a lot of folks who have severe challenges for my job. I do not believe the impact of being rejected can be overstated.

While I had 2 parents, things were sub ideal. It was abusive, broken bones, dislocations of limbs and worse occurred, and yet, we were better off than a lot of my friends who had one loving parent. To me it seems the combination of feeling rejected by the parent who did the abandoning and the fact that the present parent had to work a lot of hours, out of love, made for a more lonely kid who felt worthless. I am also from the latch key generation.

the present parent(S) had to work a lot of hours, out of love, made for a more lonely kid who felt worthless. I am also from the latch key generation.

You knew my parents? :D
There's a plus there. That kid doesn't need to have a bunch of friends/acquaintances in his adult life to feel complete. ;)
:s0155:

how did we ever survive ?. There was 500 folks in Butte Falls . We would walk to town and collect enough beer cans in the ditch to trade in for a box of 22 at the gas station and go shoot them all on the way back home....the entire time Remington Speedmaster 22 in hand , even in the gas station while collecting ammo. Set me up real good for scrounging ammo for a shtf situation lol
Wifes family is from Butte Falls, looking at the cemetery theres a 40% chance were related :D

Yep, an anecdotal experience makes it untrue for hundreds of thousands of children… sure.

I think he was saying that, statistically, in general, all else being equal, it's best for children to have both a mother and a father in the home. I believe that this has been statistically proven time and again, thought it was common knowledge. Studies have been done, though I'm not going to take the time to try to find them.

There are always exceptions (thankfully). One of my best friends never knew his father, his mother was, uh, lets just say not a good mother. His grandfather abused him (bad enough to go to jail for it), and he spent his teen years in one foster home or another. He had some good people who helped and mentored him, and he worked hard. He is now a good, upstanding citizen: business owner, faithful husband, father of two.

Why do some people make something worthwhile out of their lives, when they've been given so little, while others throw their lives away when they've had every advantage in life? I don't know. It's that age-old nature-vs-nurture debate. We all make our own choices in life and go our own ways. That's what scares me about raising kids. My wife and I try our very best to raise our kids to live good lives, but ultimately we know that it's up to them.

I have had my Winchester Model 1906 .22 rifle since I was 12 as my father before me did. I had it and the ammo in my bedroom closet. Portland was a very different and more sane world in the 50's & 60's. I could walk into any store that carried ammo, buy it and nobody even raised an eye. A carload of 16 year olds with guns in the 60's( unloaded and in the trunk} traveling to Larch Mt to shoot was an ordinary thing. We never caused any trounle and our parent knew what we were doing. If any 16 year olds were to try doing the same today they would be surrounded by the swat squad and the evening news headline would read "Teenage Terrorists Apprehended With Large Arsenal of Guns & Ammo". Today such an ordinary scenario in years past would be a crime.

We had rifles in an open gun case in my house, along with ammunition stored in a drawer, in the bottom of the case since as early in my life as I can remember! I was taught never to touch one and I never did. Both my father and older brother took me shooting as early as 6 and 7 years old and taught me respect firearms! While in high school, some of the boys carried their rifles in the back window of their pick-up or in the trunk of their car and hunted groundhogs and crows on the way home from school. There were no school shootings and nobody had a fit about seeing a rifle in the back window of a truck!

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews