JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Did you grow up with firearms or get interested later in life?

• Since I was a kid.

Votes: 394 86.8%
  • Later in adulthood.

Votes: 60 13.2%

• Total voters
I was brought up with firearms. I shot my first firearm just before my fifth birthday. It was a 32 cal squirrel rifle that my uncle bought from Turner Kirkland (Dixie Gunworks). The family had a 640 AC horse ranch that we went to on the weekends. They only thing you shot at that you did not have to eat was ground squirrels, anything else you cooked and ate. So, needless to say, I have eaten some exotic animals.

I grew up with a .22 rifle. My Dad let me shoot his as soon as I was able to hold one. My girlfriend bought me a Remington .22 for Christmas back in the day. I still have it AND I have my Dad's too.
This is my first post. I have been around the site and followed several topics. I'll be baaaack. Thanks.
Chet

The poll results are skewed, considering there are many here that have not yet (and probably never will), grown up
Man, I hope not! II think I'm getting close though. Things are starting to hurt. That's when you get grown up, everything hurts like hell.

My early introduction to guns was somewhat of my own doing. We lived on a leased 80 acre walnut grove property in the central valley of California. It's hot, dusty and smells of oranges and dairy..think Grapes of Wrath. For a 12 year old it was heaven. German Shepard, 3-wheeler and room to roam. My father owned a satellite home tv business, the first in the Valley. Remember those 10/12ft dishes? Yes those.

Dad is a Vietnam Vet, a brown water Navy Vet who spent his tour as a PBR and Mike boat driver in the rivers of Nam. He saw a lot of bubblegum. From my earliest memories of him, and conversations we had, he was not fond of any guns nor hunting. He'd had enough of death. He did however have a pellet pistol for mouse/pest duty if needed..seeing we lived on a grove.

At 12 he let me get a Crossman pump rifle. The first thing I did was mount a cheap Tasco scope..probably a 4x, and proceeded to shoot anything that moved from my upstairs balcony overlooking the grove. This mainly entailed squirrels, birds and lizards. I got very good at longer range shooting with that rifle and didn't think much about dispatching those critters.

Two things happened very close together. One day, while taking aim at a lizard basking in the sun, the pellet ricocheted and took out the drivers door glass of my Dad's Corvette. I was upfront and honest with him, and got away with just a lecture and some disappointment. Fairly short after that, I took aim at a squirrel about 70 yards away, across our full irrigation creek, and hit it. But it didn't die..it just screamed and screamed. It took me forever to run down the road, to the bridge, and back to the squirrel to finish him off. After that experience I never shot another animal. Hunting wasn't for me. That stood till just a few years ago when I had to take out a deer mouse that was taking residence in my home and chewing on pipes.

At 15 I joined the Sherriff's explorer program. They had an annual one month 'academy' program which you needed to take in order to make Sergeant. During part of that course we shot 'real' guns - pistol and shotgun. A deputy leant me his Colt Python .357 and taught me how to shoot. The academy consisted of explorers from four central valley counties. I came in first at the range in my county with pistol.

After joining the Navy, I did a 6 month rotation in the Master at Arms. We performed the law enforcement duties on the ship, but didn't carry arms. After that experience, I decided not to become am LEO. My love for target shooting still remained however, and after getting out, I purchased my first gun, an Interarms Star 9mm. That didn't last long before I traded it for a full posi-axle for my Firebird.

Fast forward to 2013 and I'm now fully invested. I truly believe its our duty to protect ourselves and family. Notwithstanding my strong prepper bias and belief we have entered very troubling times, I think it's paramount that every upright, honest and law abiding citizen own at least a rifle and pistol.

That's my story.

I got into firearms later in life, both shooting and owning.

Despite the common advice, I didn't try out several different handguns (or any, for that matter) before buying one, but I turned out okay. I still shoot that first one better than larger/longer-barreled handguns.

so grew up with a cattle/timber ranch in the family. My dad bought me my first .22 at 7-8 years old. Prior to that I would pack my pellet gun and follow him around hunting during season. Currently, between the two of us we could outfit a small militia lol :)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top