JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Just scored a bottle of Rip Van Winkle. I did a comparison between it, Eagle Rare and Makers 46
and it is the smoothest even at 107 proof!

Van%20Winkle_zpsvebt0vxb.jpg

Nothing better then sitting on the deck smoking my favorite blend in my favorite Brier pipe with a smooth Single malt neat, and my Dogs at my feet! For A good Whisky, Pendleton, for a good rum, Gosling's Black Seal For a good Tequila, Manana!

@Classic. Now whereabouts did you find that?

I have a history of purchases (too many o_O ) at Total Wine and More here in Washington. I am a member of their club. Anyway, they got 3 cases in so they had a lottery of their "Reserve Members" and I won the right to purchase a bottle. Only 3 stores in WA got a case (Bellevue, Puyallup & Spokane) so I had to go to Puyallup to get it. I went for a ride on my motorcycle 3 days after getting the email and they still had a couple left. They limited it to one per winner.

Thanks for reviving this thread! Looking forward to going through and trying a few suggestions. I made a deal with myself that I'll only drink on days that I make it to the gym. This is definitely motivation!

Speakin' of Distilled Spirits...

The state of Oregon has booze very heavily leveraged, and available only thru liquor stores, and only available certain hours on certain days.o_O

But there's a very significant twist to this. I'm seeing more and more, "craft" distilleries that are setting up shop at craft exhibits, fairs, etc. They are offering free samples, and then selling their small-batch booze at the same table. Is this the beginning of the end for liquor stores? I hope so. It seems a conflict when the large bonded distilleries are required to sell in an OLCC store, but the small batch guys can sell it anywhere.

WAYNO.

Speakin' of Distilled Spirits...

The state of Oregon has booze very heavily leveraged, and available only thru liquor stores, and only available certain hours on certain days.o_O

But there's a very significant twist to this. I'm seeing more and more, "craft" distilleries that are setting up shop at craft exhibits, fairs, etc. They are offering free samples, and then selling their small-batch booze at the same table. Is this the beginning of the end for liquor stores? I hope so. It seems a conflict when the large bonded distilleries are required to sell in an OLCC store, but the small batch guys can sell it anywhere.

WAYNO.
We finally got the State out of the business here. I was ALL for it when it went to the voters. Price did not go down but it just got me that we had State employee's, earning State wages and pension, to man a booze store. When they got this on the ballet that was the big crying game about this. Trying to explain to people that the reason for Government was not supposed to be to give people a damn job was an uphill battle. Many were mad they could not make a 30 year career running a damn stop and rob. I had one suggestion to those who took to the web to cry. GO TO SCHOOL. learn something that makes you able to earn money.

Some of the best whiskey I have ever had was from small local Oregon distilleries.

I'm a buy local guy and I've been consistently underwhelmed with local whiskeys. Beer, vodka, and gin are all fantastic, I just haven't found anything local that can compare with my go-to Buffalo Trace or Maker's. Any suggestions?

I'm a buy local guy and I've been consistently underwhelmed with local whiskeys. Beer, vodka, and gin are all fantastic, I just haven't found anything local that can compare with my go-to Buffalo Trace or Maker's. Any suggestions?

Before I give any recommendations I gotta state for the record that I am fresh out of college so my experience with whiskey is mostly the bottom end stuff. That being said I have found that Blue Collar Whiskey (hardtimesdistillery) is one of the better whiskeys for the <$20 price bracket. The other whiskey I like is in the $20-$30 bracket and its 4 spirits American Whiskey (4 Spirits American Whiskey | 4SpiritsDistillery.com)

Bull Run distilling in Portland also has some good products including a barrel aged vodka that is very very good.

Interesting question, to which I do not have a constructive answer.

Whiskey is a weird animal. Even within a certain brand, sometimes it can be really good and really hit the spot, where other times, it just doesn't seem all that good.

So, buying one bottle of craft whiskey, and never being able to buy it again, it's hard to really know if it's good or not. I may try a sample, and it may be really good, and I'll likely buy a bottle. So I might think that it was pretty good stuff. But since I can't ever buy it again, there's no way to know if the next bottle will also be good.

Jack Daniels, and big-name Canadians, although they're produced in tanker-car quantities, are some of just a few examples of whiskey (or whisky, depending on where it's made), that seem to be repeatable to my palate, case after case.

WAYNO.

PS...I was at a craft show in Mt. Angel earlier this year. A vendor was selling an Oregon made rye whiskey, and it was exceptional. I bought a bottle. I would like to try it again, but I don't even know the maker. That's a problem with craft distillers that only sell at fairs.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads