JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My state says I shouldn't be trusted with the 190 proof and only allows me to have the 150, for my own safety, which is the nanny state version.:( I just want to make sum apple pie;)

Drinking Pendleton black at the moment.

Before I give any recommendations I gotta state for the record that I am fresh out of college so my experience with whiskey is mostly the bottom end stuff. That being said I have found that Blue Collar Whiskey (hardtimesdistillery) is one of the better whiskeys for the <$20 price bracket. The other whiskey I like is in the $20-$30 bracket and its 4 spirits American Whiskey (4 Spirits American Whiskey | 4SpiritsDistillery.com)

Bull Run distilling in Portland also has some good products including a barrel aged vodka that is very very good.

Nothing wrong with that, I consider and appreciate the spectrum. I get much more excited when I find a cheap bottle I really enjoy than something expensive (expectations I suppose). I haven't tried either of those, I'll be sure to pick some up.

Interesting question, to which I do not have a constructive answer.

Whiskey is a weird animal. Even within a certain brand, sometimes it can be really good and really hit the spot, where other times, it just doesn't seem all that good.

So, buying one bottle of craft whiskey, and never being able to buy it again, it's hard to really know if it's good or not. I may try a sample, and it may be really good, and I'll likely buy a bottle. So I might think that it was pretty good stuff. But since I can't ever buy it again, there's no way to know if the next bottle will also be good.

Jack Daniels, and big-name Canadians, although they're produced in tanker-car quantities, are some of just a few examples of whiskey (or whisky, depending on where it's made), that seem to be repeatable to my palate, case after case.

WAYNO.

PS...I was at a craft show in Mt. Angel earlier this year. A vendor was selling an Oregon made rye whiskey, and it was exceptional. I bought a bottle. I would like to try it again, but I don't even know the maker. That's a problem with craft distillers that only sell at fairs.

Funny you should mention that. My third go-to is Jim Beam white label. This last bottle I bought tasted absolutely terrible, all booze and no flavor, more like old crow or another well whiskey. I'm hoping I just got a bad batch and they didn't change the process/recipe. This is the first time this has happened.

If you do remember, I'm definitely interested in knowing what it was. Rye is actually my favorite, especially in a well constructed old fashioned :)

Whiskey's fine and all... But Bacardi 151 is/was (no longer made :mad:) where its at. Anything else is just a mild drink in the morning. ;)

Really? I had no idea.

Maker's Mark is the secret ingredient in my Capital Punishment chili. I'll post a recipe someday. The stuff is so good (and so hot) that the recipe should not die with me.

On a similar note, my uncle in WV found the old family homestead cabin and farm from around Civil War times and bought it back from whoever owned it. That was about 1955. He cleaned it up and turned it into a 40 acre hunting and fishing camp with about a quarter mile of river front. Uncle Ray died about 1965, and my cousin inherited the place. I used to go back there for two weeks every year and stay at the camp. That was the best two weeks of every year for decades. We played golf, fished, hunted, shot clays, shot the bull, drank whiskey, played poker and told stories for two weeks each summer. We made salsa and chili out of ingredients from the garden patch, where my cousin grew everything needed. That's where I first tried things like groundhog stew, and also where I developed the Capital Punishment chili recipe.

One day while looking for some obscure tool in the basement, my cousin moved an old box out of the way and on a whim decided to look inside it. There he found an unopened bottle of Glenlivet wrapped in an old towel. It had to have been there since my uncle bought it, and at that point he had been dead for probably 30 years. We spent the evening toasting Uncle Ray and telling stories about him and his four brothers, one of whom was my father. No finer whiskey was ever consumed.

Maker's Mark is the secret ingredient in my Capital Punishment chili. I'll post a recipe someday. The stuff is so good (and so hot) that the recipe should not die with me.

On a similar note, my uncle in WV found the old family homestead cabin and farm from around Civil War times and bought it back from whoever owned it. That was about 1955. He cleaned it up and turned it into a 40 acre hunting and fishing camp with about a quarter mile of river front. Uncle Ray died about 1965, and my cousin inherited the place. I used to go back there for two weeks every year and stay at the camp. That was the best two weeks of every year for decades. We played golf, fished, hunted, shot clays, shot the bull, drank whiskey, played poker and told stories for two weeks each summer. We made salsa and chili out of ingredients from the garden patch, where my cousin grew everything needed. That's where I first tried things like groundhog stew, and also where I developed the Capital Punishment chili recipe.

One day while looking for some obscure tool in the basement, my cousin moved an old box out of the way and on a whim decided to look inside it. There he found an unopened bottle of Glenlivet wrapped in an old towel. It had to have been there since my uncle bought it, and at that point he had been dead for probably 30 years. We spent the evening toasting Uncle Ray and telling stories about him and his four brothers, one of whom was my father. No finer whiskey was ever consumed.

Good for you! What a great way to make memories that are with you for life! Really enjoyed reading that post!;)

I appreciate Bulleit at room temp, neat with a Rocky Patel decade or similar smoke(my new favorite is Foundry's Robusto in 60x6). I also in enjoy Makers and Turkey101. Knob Creek single batch isn't bad but not a favorite..Lately I discovered Corner Creek Reserve! Yessir... Top shelf that stuff is for sure.
What really butters my bread is Scotch though! A nice 18 Year single malt is where its at!

Ten year Kentucky, single barrel. :s0079:

eagle-rare-10-year-old-kentucky-straight-bourbon-whiskey-_caskers-exclusive-single-barrel_-1.jpg

My state says I shouldn't be trusted with the 190 proof and only allows me to have the 150, for my own safety, which is the nanny state version.
I have some good news for you- for quite some time the 190° has been available here in WA. Perhaps your local stores don't like stocking it, but they could.

Almost impossible to get is Bainbridge Island Organic Distillery's Battle Point whiskey. They make it in tiny batches and woe unto you if you ever get some, because it'll be nagging at you forever to find more.

ls.jpg

A surprisingly good whiskey I stumbled on recently is George Dickel's 90° Rye. It is quite a bit different from their Tennessee sour mash, and much easier to find than the Bainbridge stuff. Unicorns are easier to find than the Battle Point whiskey.

Looking for something different, try the Dickel Rye- it's smooth and complex at the same time with a clean finish. Nice and warm at 90 proof, too.

WAYNO said:
PS...I was at a craft show in Mt. Angel earlier this year. A vendor was selling an Oregon made rye whiskey, and it was exceptional. I bought a bottle. I would like to try it again, but I don't even know the maker. That's a problem with craft distillers that only sell at fairs.

Joe Link said:
If you do remember, I'm definitely interested in knowing what it was. Rye is actually my favorite, especially in a well constructed old fashioned :)

WAYNO said:
I did a little research and found the vendor at the Mt. Angel Hazel Nut Festival craft show...

Crater Lake Rye

WAYNO.

I have some good news for you- for quite some time the 190° has been available here in WA. Perhaps your local stores don't like stocking it

Doing some reading it looks like as of 2015 and liquor privatization, it can be sold without a permit. On an Everclear forum (There's one for everything apparently), under Washington availability they listed two west side stores that stock it statewide. Montana is closer.:)

Either my wife or I (can't remember which) was given a bottle of Johnnie Walker Blue Label for doing something or other at work (can't remember what). It sat in the cabinet for years. Finally I decided to give it a try. To me, it tasted like drinking kerosene. :p Couldn't even finish the shot glass. We gave it away to the first friend who would take it. Guess I'm not a whiskey drunker, huh?

Either my wife or I (can't remember which) was given a bottle of Johnnie Walker Blue Label for doing something or other at work (can't remember what). It sat in the cabinet for years. Finally I decided to give it a try. To me, it tasted like drinking kerosene. :p We gave it away to the first friend who would take it. Guess I'm not a whiskey drunker, huh?
You just GAVE away some Blue Label to a friend?? Why arent we friends. lol :cool:

Ah,to be so fortunate to be among other erudite Whisky lovers. Who knew? I myself prefer the Tennessee style whiskies. Mostly made from local soured corn mash. Right now I am working on a bottle of Gentleman Jack. Nice smooth taste. I had a friend [ahem] who made his own Whisky. Called it Baby Tears. At 110 proof it would cause an Irish angel to shed tears of joy. So very smooth with a clean finish of oak notes. Or something uppity sounding like that. LOL Some of the very best I ever drank. Will never be available at a store near any one of us. Hmmm. Wonder if I still have his number in an old cell phone? Great thread everybody!

You can be friends with my neighbor. That's his drink right there
I had some Jack Daniels here a while back and loved it with some 7up. But I'm cheap so I'm on a bottle of Ezra Brooks
Stop laughing it's fine for someone with a questionable palet.
My friend bought some Mikes harder lemonade and that shnit was good.
Time for a nip right now. It's noon some place right?
Or 5
BTW the mikes was mixed with the bourbon

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany