JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
SAF
Team Rubicon
Heifer International
I got a goat with Heifer (suggestion of my daughter) last year.

Ever since then I have been getting calls about once a month asking me to donate more money.

I like the idea, but I don't like them calling me all the time. I told them not to call me anymore and each time they say they won't, and then call again.

My elderly Mom gives to a few favorite local charities and her private home phone # is now on the frequent flyer calling list.
The most annoying part for her is the early 7:30 am wake up calls, and no matter how many times she tells them to stop calling her, they don't give up.
When I'm over there, I now answer the phone for her and explain to the caller that she has recently passed away and that I'm settling her estate, and no more charitable funds will be issued.
You should have seen the look on her face the first time I tried that ploy to a nuisance caller.
That stops them in their tracks and the calls have dwindled considerably.

My list, also posted in NoFlinches thread:

Oregon Food Bank
Oregon Humane Society
Dove Lewis Animal Hospital
Best Friends Society
Pongo Fund
Family Dogs New Life Shelter
Panda Paws Rescue
The Grey Muzzle Organization
Medical Teams International
Plan USA
Providence Child Center Foundation
Over the Rainbow Association
The Fisher House
Special Operations Warrior Foundation
Wounded Warriors
The Forest Park Conservancy
Tall Ships America
Trailkeepers of Oregon

A good site for evaluating the quality of charitable organizations: http://www.charitynavigator.org/. Not very useful for local small orgs, but those you can visit personally to evaluate.

Also I have found it is easier on me, and probably better for the organizations budgeting process if you give small amounts monthly, instead of large amounts sporadically.

They've never called me, but they do send more mail than the NRA, which is saying something.
All of them send mail, for years.

But Heifer is the first one to continually call me even though I politely tell them not to.

Mail I don't mind (although it is a waste of money and effort IMO - I am not going to be goaded into contributing until I am ready, willing and able to give) - but calling me? Don't like it. Don't like any kind of telemarketing. Turns me OFF big time. Not going to contribute to them ever again! :mad:

All of them send mail, for years.

But Heifer is the first one to continually call me even though I politely tell them not to.

Mail I don't mind (although it is a waste of money and effort IMO - I am not going to be goaded into contributing until I am ready, willing and able to give) - but calling me? Don't like it. Don't like any kind of telemarketing. Turns me OFF big time. Not going to contribute to them ever again! :mad:

Interesting. I only get mail from them 3-4 times per year and have never been called. Maybe because I only gave them my cell phone number and they can't call cell phones? Do you still have a home phone for them to call?

Maybe you just gave them way more than I did ;-)

Interesting. I only get mail from them 3-4 times per year and have never been called. Maybe because I only gave them my cell phone number and they can't call cell phones? Do you still have a home phone for them to call?

Maybe you just gave them way more than I did ;-)
The number I gave them was my cell # - it is the only phone I have.

Rarely does an org have a way to indicate this is a cell phone # I am supplying, and yet they require a # to complete the order (they shouldn't - by agreement with the CC co. they can't require a phone #, but they alway do).

I always uncheck the box that says that I want any further contact (lists, notifications, etc.), and I have yet to find any single org that pays attention to that.

Just last week I purchased some Xmas gifts and explicitly checked that box on one of the vendors, and yet, every single day, sometimes twice, I get spam from them. When the last of the items arrives I will just put add them to my spam list.

I do my charitable giving thru my church.

Out side of that -
1. Habitat for Humanity - a hand up, rather than a hand out. http://www.habitat.org/
2. Northwest Medical Teams http://www.medicalteams.org/

I also recommend giving what you can't replace or recover - your time. Take your children or children-like - niece, nephew, grandchild, cub scouts etc, etc etc.

When I see drives at work for organizations like the American Cancer Society, Red Cross, United Way etc, I like to point out to people that many of these organizations spend more on marketing (to get your donations) and administration than they do on the delivery of their service.

I recommend you check, before you give.
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/2012/12/make-sure-your-donation-counts/index.htm

There are little ways to give as well.
Do you pack out more than you brought in?
Do you have a smile and a kind word for the clerk at the store?
Did you stop and say Thank you?
Do you show up early and help set up? Stay after and help clean up?

I was talking with my father who lives across the country, and he has a neighbor taking him for a medical procedure today. He has no family / close friends left in the area. He has spent the last number of years helping others in his neighborhood similarly. A trip to the doctor here, and there. (note that due to the laws where he lives, this makes him an outlaw ! ) But due to age, he was paying it forward. Many of those whom he helps have passed away. They can't repay the kindness. There is no assurance he'll be able to repay his neighbor. If we are focused on our selves, then we miss these opportunities for charity. And I believe, these are a measure of our character.

Last Edited:
The majority of charities are legit, with several really worthy ones named in the thread above.

On the ugly flip side, here's an article about the fact that many organizations reap big funds for "overhead," banking on the giving spirit of others. If you read the list in this article and think about the percentages, it's more than a little sad. Want to make some money for yourself? Create a "charity" with a noble sounding title, and pass through only the stingiest pittance (just enough to make it legal) after pocketing the lion's share for yourself.

http://www.kptv.com/story/27672609/oregon-attorney-general-announces-20-worst-charities-of-2014

My point is that it makes sense to compare organizations before you donate money. Make sure it goes to a legitimate charity - not a profit mill.

Last Edited:
My mother is really into these guys http://sharevancouver.org/ She has been with them for over 10 years and both me and my step son have helped out at times.

They have a few places around the area that house people but I have always taken things to the family facility in Orchards. My son outgrows his clothes like a weed so why not try and help out a few kids. Once they found out I could weld they asked me to fix a few bed frames. Well why not it is just a little time and to be able to help someone out is a good feeling.

Last Edited:
I am not a big fan of national level "charities". Granted they make a lot of money,but they also have huge overhead costs. I do sales and marketing for a non profit on a local community level. Donating to a community based group allows more of the dollars to be used for actual "contact" work. Some of these groups, Habitat for Humanity has local affiliates that build houses in local communities.

I belong to a fraternal group that has a home of aged members, and taking care of these people, their wives and widows is part of our mission. There is always a need for extra funds to purchase things for every day living for them. We also take them places for shopping and social activities. If I make it to be a doddering old man, it will be nice to have some people care a bit about your needs.

I drive for Meals on Wheels in inclement weather. This group brought meals to my parents in their late years, and I have seldom missed a chance to help them out. Gives me an excuse to go 4 wheeling to deliver the meals.

I am connected with the local fire department and when a family suffers a loss of household goods, I am able to facilitate getting these families replacement clothing, furniture and other household goods. Again, this is a local level thing, and I can pick up the phone and get additional funds and resources from local movers and shakers to the need a lot faster than national groups.

There are a couple pet rescues and animal shelters locally and I try to drop off a bag of dog food every other month. These animals never asked to be in the situation they are in, and maybe they can find a good loving home.

I have more time than money, so this all works out pretty good. There are a huge amount of "non profits" that exist to pay their "founders" and "directors" big salaries. It is HUGE business. I try to out them whenever I can.

My mother is really into these guys http://sharevancouver.org/ She has been with them for over 10 years and both me and my step son have helped out at times.

They have a few places around the area that house people but I have always take things to the family facility in Orchards. My son outgrows his clothes like a weed so why not try and help out a few kids. Once they found out I could weld they asked me to fix a few bed frames. Well why not it is just a little time and to be able to help someone out is a good feeling.

It's excellent that you guys are able/willing to DO specific things. Seeing charity in action, like delivering meals, packaging bulk goods at the food bank or welding, is gratifying beyond just hoping your bucks go somewhere useful. Perhaps they will, but they're invisible once they leave your sight.

When my son (now a Sergeant in an Army electrical engineering school) was a pipsqueak, we collected blankets, clothes and stuff and delivered them to homeless people sleeping on loading docks in San Diego every December for 10 years. Yes, it freezes there too. We surfed and waterskied in full wetsuits.

I believe it was important for him to see the street and bushes, and the people who lived there. You bet, they were "sketchy" (as the kids say), and I was glad a few times that I was armed - just in case. Street people tend to have (ahem) issues.

I work downtown these days, and I park under a bridge when I drive. Stepping over and around people to get out of my toasty car and hike a block the office reminds me of where I can drop shirts, jackets, shoes and and other warm stuff. Essentially, I recommend local involvement whenever possible to be in touch with what's out there, close to home, and maybe just a few paychecks away.

Last Edited:
DAV
Wounded Warrior
Gary Sinise Foundation
As a Vet I like to support my fellow countrymen and I may need it someday too.
http://www.garysinisefoundation.org/
Watch the 9 min video it's powerful.

Shared on Face Book, just wiped up, a gallon of tears... Thank You, for your Service... And Thank You, for sharing this...

I'll put my money where my writing is: 12/31/14, the First hundred $$$ out of my veterans benifit for disability, will be to this Foundation.

And, that, I share, out of remembering things like being given a Meal, while riding Grey Dog Express, in Uniform, and I had no Funds, to buy one, with only a Hundred miles more to go... Remembering... The Sight of a trio of Soldiers, climbing Aboard, the Grey Dog Express... And one showing OBVIOUS Signs of Low Blood Sugar, and sharing, a Bagel, and my small jar of PeaNut Butter, and my Water Bottle, so that young man Could Ride Ten More HOURS, to say goodbye, leaving for the Sand Box.

Me: I completing a Coast to Coast trip Conneticutt, East to Florence, Oregon West. But Years of Grey Dog Buses had taught me, after the fact, always carry extra food in your carry on.

I also bought him a Full Meal at the "Lunch Stop" just about North Mendocino County... From San Fransico... I only thought it was paying back, that man, in Sacramento, 1969, for a Bowel of Chili, and Soda Crackers..... No food in my carry on... Just a respectful thank you to that man, who fed me.

philip

Using the Charity Finder, I noted that Gary Sinise Foundation, works with
Geffen Playhouse...
Which has a 97% rating for transparency & Accountability

Nice to see that!!!

I am exausted, from the day, so an early bed time for me

philip :)

I get a big charge out of paying for soldiers or veterans meals. Especially if I can do it without them knowing it. I got a Korean war vet the other night at Elmers. He is in there every Saturday night, next time I will invite him to join us.

I managed to get some Marine recruits at SFO during a lay over some years ago. They had rode the same plane from San Diego, and were lined up behind us at the food court. We put our order in and then I told the Marines to step up and order on my tab. One of them said "That is not necessary sir", and I told him "Just order up son, it is necessary for me. "

Great bunch of kids and we simply cannot do enough for our veterans.

I also agree on the Gary Sinise Foundation as well.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top