JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've seen ads here listed at higher prices than you'd even pay for a new one. :eek:
If its a gun considered superior to anything the manufacturer makes currently, you betcha!

For example, for a used SW .44 mag model 629-4 or lower dash number in very good condition expect to pay hundreds more than the price for new 629s. 629-5 and higher represents the beginning of a complete redesign that many think represents a drop in quality and was done for the purpose of lowering manufacturing costs. 629-5 and later has the firing pin moved from hammer to frame and some cheap MIM parts. 629-6 and later has the hated lock.

But a used 629-6 or later is essentially the same as current production. Its a bad buy unless the price is substantially less than current models brand new. It has the same downgraded design and lock as current production guns.

Certain guns are beloved by collectors. For example, the earliest of the 629 no dash guns that have pinned barrels and recessed cylinder chambers and are in very good or better condition are likely go for near $2,000 at gunbroker. The rest of the 629-4 or under in very good condition are likely to go for about $1300 to 1500. Brand new current production 629s sell for just under $1100 at gunbroker. And used versions of 629-5 and later usually go for under the price of new guns.

The same situation is true for many other SW revolvers. That is, the old ones from before the frame-mounted hammers and locks are preferred by enough people that used versions are priced higher than new versions of current production . However current SW revolvers are still fine guns. If anyone wanted to give me one for free I certainly would not turn up my nose at it.

One simple fact remains is the inability to (legally) buy or sell a gun FTF has largely in part destroyed the concept of 'wheeling and dealing, trading (not just guns for guns) but maybe using guns as part of other deals (I used to do this often)

It's bad enough to have to meet at an FFL to sell a gun, but then factor in shipping hassles, payment methods, the inability to see the gun before purchase, and well, it all seems like a hassle to ME.

I say to ME because I have never experienced the purchase, or selling, of a gun in this manner (IE the shipping part - I once sold at a local FFL) but I read enough about shipping debacles as to not want to ever experience it.

Prior to SB 941 it was not unusual to buyer and seller to agree to meet up 'halfway' somewhere and make the deal. While there was still the drive involved it often made for a nice ride, the ability to meet someone with similar interests etc. It always was for me but that is now mostly a thing of the past.

Last Edited:
If its a gun considered superior to anything the manufacturer makes currently, you betcha!
In that case I would understand! I'm talking about current production models. Actually I see it more often with accessories like optics, etc. than anything else. Some of the popular online stores run sales or clearance events on the order of once a month. Most people would rather buy new because they'll be insured through warranty.

In that case I would understand! I'm talking about current production models. Actually I see it more often with accessories like optics, etc. than anything else. Some of the popular online stores run sales or clearance events on the order of once a month. Most people would rather buy new because they'll be insured through warranty.
Right. I agree that many are pricing used guns of models currently in production at prices that are non competitive compared with new prices. That's always been true. But especially now in Oregon, perhaps, because for the last couple years, with 114 looming, many felt the need to get anything they thought they might want in the next few years now, even if the guns were overpriced. Now the 114 spending spree is over. In addition, its after Christmas, and many are cash poor now. Many guns on NWFA are going to sit at prices that they would have sold at a year ago.

Right. I agree that many are pricing used guns of models currently in production at prices that are non competitive compared with new prices. That's always been true. But especially now in Oregon, perhaps, because for the last couple years, with 114 looming, many felt the need to get anything they thought they might want in the next few years now, even if the guns were overpriced. Now the 114 spending spree is over. In addition, its after Christmas, and many are cash poor now. Many guns on NWFA are going to sit at prices that they would have sold at a year ago.
This is a very good point. Possibly the key to the whole thing is understanding that the firearm market is constantly in a state of flux, particularly in states like Oregon where we still have gun rights but they are constantly under threat.
The two times I've spent the most on firearms and related accessories where when we were facing 114 and some old initiative that died. I wouldn't have been so focused on it if I didn't think it could have been my last opportunity.

I've never been a fickle flipper.
A lot of people don't understand the concept that if you bought a gun 20 years ago for $500 and then sold it today for $400, that turns out to have "cost" you $5/yr for a practical and enjoyable hobby.
They look at that $100 difference and are all like, $100!. like a child.
I find it all fairly amusing however.
Very true. Think about what it would have cost to rent a gun over that 20 year period. Depreciation on guns is much slower compared to most other items people typically buy, even on hi-points.

If you bought a gun 20 years ago for $500 and sold it now for $400, you lost a lot more than $100. $500 in 2004 money is more like $800 in 2024 money. If you want an investment, put it in the stock market instead.

Still, I get the point. Can you buy a new set of golf clubs, enjoy them for 20 years, and still get half of your value back out of them? Or worse yet, a TV or stereo set?

I've heard it a few times over the years: "I'd sell my (whatever) that I don't use anymore, but I've got ($x) into it, and nobody wants to pay me what it's worth!"
As if it's relevant at all how much you "have into it"...

If you bought a gun 20 years ago for $500 and sold it now for $400, you lost a lot more than $100. $500 in 2004 money is more like $800 in 2024 money. If you want an investment, put it in the stock market instead.
Shhhhh. I pointed out in another thread sometime back about how proud my wife was of me when I sold a rifle that I paid $400 for 20 years before for $700. I didn't point out to her that if I had put that $400 into a 20-year CD at 5%, I would have an account balance of over $1,000. :s0108: But hey, you can't shoot a CD.

Very true. Think about what it would have cost to rent a gun over that 20 year period. Depreciation on guns is much slower compared to most other items people typically buy, even on hi-points.
Or compare it to any other hobby/ pastime on earth.. skiing, gambling, golf, drinking, yada. $5/yr is absolutely nothing in this instance.

Still, I get the point. Can you buy a new set of golf clubs, enjoy them for 20 years, and still get half of your value back out of them? Or worse yet, a TV or stereo set?

I've heard it a few times over the years: "I'd sell my (whatever) that I don't use anymore, but I've got ($x) into it, and nobody wants to pay me what it's worth!"
As if it's relevant at all how much you "have into it"...
Same with what I just posted.. it's a matter of equivalence/ perspective.

One simple fact remains is the inability to (legally) buy or sell a gun FTF has largely in part destroyed the concept of 'wheeling and dealing, trading (not just guns for guns) but maybe using guns as part of other deals (I used to do this often)

It's bad enough to have to meet at an FFL to sell a gun, but then factor in shipping hassles, payment methods, the inability to see the gun before purchase, and well, it all seems like a hassle to ME.

I say to ME because I have never experienced the purchase, or selling, of a gun in this manner (IE the shipping part - I once sold at a local FFL) but I read enough about shipping debacles as to not want to ever experience it.

Prior to SB 941 it was not unusual to buyer and seller to agree to meet up 'halfway' somewhere and make the deal. While there was still the drive involved it often made for a nice ride, the ability to meet someone with similar interests etc. It always was for me but that is now mostly a thing of the past.
THIS!!
Bought and sold for decades. Most were me going to seller's home or buyer coming to mine. For both of us I figured I was not paying sales tax so had no problem paying what the same gun would run in a shop. Buys same. Some were not comfortable with at home and if seller wanted to meet? Fine with me. There was always the no show's. Which for me I did not care. Now? If I make a meet at a shop and they don't show? 🤬
Then last one we meet, buyer is pleased, he gets delayed. He was shocked as he had Fed Gov clearance for his job. So both of us have to go home empty handed. Shop then calls days later he is good, we both have to drive to shop again. Then on top of that had to pay the transfer fee. PITA. Meanwhile the criminal scum can buy what they want, when they want, and when caught are slapped on the hand and sent on their way to do more crime. 🤬

@daropowlison doesn't seem to be having much trouble finding buyers. His success demonstrates that if items are priced right and the seller is flexible with meet ups, that buyer's can still be separated from their limited cash.

This one is out of my league price wise but looks awesome. I expect he'll find a buyer soon.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads