JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
With how hard they can be to find someone will snatch it up for full price. Especially since it's only been shot once..

I feel much sympathy for OP, but for some reason this almost made me spray my morning coffee. I can see the classified headline now:

"PCR for sale, Like new in box. Owner only shot once"

#1 Thank you for swallowing your pride and posting this!! Short story, i've been at a ''friends'' house when he has pulled a rifle, out of his safe, handed it to another guy, only to have the other guy open the bolt on a fully loaded rifle!! To say this scared me is an under statement. This has happened not only once but twice in my presents. Later on the same person pulled out a pistol, and was waving it around, it went off, the bullet ricocheted around his shop. I came home one day and told my wife, i'm going to have to stop going to so and so's house. She asked why and i told her, i'm not going to die because some IDIOT never checks his weapons before he puts them up. I haven't been back there since, this has been over 10 months ago. Hope your doing better, and that your getting around, it could have as you know turned out a whole lot worse.

Thanks, guys. I needed to laugh at myself this morning. I have to go in to the Sheriff's office today to pick up the CZ they confiscated (standard procedure, nobody start ranting). I explained what had happened to the property clerk and apologized for not having the case number. "That's ok, luv," she replied, "Everybody here has heard your story already." So, at least I'm well known now. Sort of like Steve Martin in The Jerk after he gets his name in the phone book.

You have kept your sense of humor which will actually help in the healing process. If it were me I would probably have resorted to calling myself all kinds of 4 letter words as only a Navy lifer knows how.

You have kept your sense of humor which will actually help in the healing process. If it were me I would probably have resorted to calling myself all kinds of 4 letter words as only a Navy lifer knows how.
Been there, done that. Mainly within the first hour after the incident. And even though I'm the Air Force equivalent of a Master Chief, I worked most of my career in a joint service environment and can tell you that Master Chiefs will tell you they have no equivalents. I'd say that's pretty true, especially when it comes down to their use of 'colorful metaphors,' as Spock once said. :)

First of all, thank you for your courage and truthfulness. This was an accident. Accidents happen to everyone. The outcome often depends on whether we are following the safeguards we've been taught. We've all cut corners when in a hurry or under stress. Most of the time we don't get several mistakes to line up just right to create a disaster, and then we wipe our brow and say, "Wow! That was a close call." And for those of you about to pounce, I'm taking about that once-in-a-lifetime-class mistake, so maybe yours hasn't happened to you yet.

I have an issue with those who claim that all unintended discharges are negligent and that therefor, since they are never negligent it couldn't happen to them. I have been a NASCAR car builder off and on for 50+ years. I know the rules and standards around safety equipment and installation. There were no more experienced or skilled racers than Dale Earnhardt Sr., his crew, and his car builders, and yet an incorrectly installed seatbelt that went through numerous tech inspections without being caught cost Dale Sr. his life. All we can do is maximize the chances that we will not make a mistake or cut corners when stressed. There are no guarantees.

And this is precisely why the quote below strikes home with me. I too have small children around a lot. Even my home defense weapons are kept in condition 3 when not on my person, condition 1 ONLY when on my person, and I will not own a pistol that cannot be put into condition 1 because it has no thumb safety.

I have also decided (with my wife's input — not like I could argue against her right now) that I'll be selling off any of my home defense and/or carry weapons that lack a thumb or other positive safety mechanism. That's in short a recognition that we have little ones around here, our grandkids, quite often.

Yeah, but as much as I love it, I think it would just bring back the wrong memories every time I picked it up from here on out. Sort of like when I sold the Mossberg 12-gauge my distinctly mentally unhinged ex-wife used to blow a hold in our bedroom wall while I was lucky enough to be out of the house. Since the hole was right over my pillow and she had already been really angry at me when she called me at work that day, it wasn't too difficult figuring out she was shooting me in effigy. Thank god I didn't come home earlier. The gun sold very quickly, but it took me the better part of a year to get rid of my ex. And that struggle cost me half of my Air Force retirement (a federal law that just can't be challenged), a bankruptcy to settle the $35k in credit card and other debt she ran up without me knowing, and almost a decade to rebuild my own credit and get established in my new mental health career in the aftermath. So I'm not complaining. It is what it is.
We have eerily similar histories.:eek: My ex had $70K in credit card debt that she "forgot to tell me about".

Yep. Precisely. It took an epiphany like this to change my mind. I'd talked myself into believing that a DA/SA firearm was safe when decocked due to the long DA trigger pull. But then I bought guns like the PPQ .45 I just put up for sale that truthfully can't be safed in any reliable way. So I dumbed down my own safety rules. Just lucky I didn't plug myself with the .45, since I carry the 120 Grain Underwood XTreme Defender round in it. That most definitely would have blown my ankle right out. Re-evaluation of your beliefs is essential for continued safety. The moment you start arguing with yourself that it's not necessary is the time you're starting to fool yourself. Others are free to have their own thoughts on this, but it's just where I am along the continuum right now.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top