JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
my son and I were discussing this tonight after watching a TV show where a person was shot in an extremity and fell to the ground incapacitated
2 years ago, I took an accidental discharge to my left hand - a 9mm went through my hand and separated 2 fingers off my hand
I pressed my hand against my side and walked back up to the house - felt no pain - only amazement that my hand was bleeding
as a former combat medic from '69, I advised my son how to care for my hand and we waited 30 min for the ambulance to show up
I sat in a chair on our gravel road for 30 min with my son, had intelligent conversations, made jokes and still experienced no pain
but my wife was uncontrollable and in panic - blood all over the kitchen
pain did kick in about 45 min later
I had seen this in the Military and asked the trauma surgeon about this at Emanuel Hosp
She said my body experienced nerve pain overload and shut down the nerves, allowing the body to still function
I was able to function for 45 min without pain
but she said every person is different with pain tolerance

so - in a self defense situation - how can you expect an opponent to respond after being shot?

Resized_20190824_120848.jpeg Resized_20190824_141347.jpeg

You can't really expect or predict here.

Some folks will drop right there with a minor wound...others will keep fighting , with wounds that by all rights should have killed or incapacitated the person.

Never underestimate the will to live....or cause mayhem.
Andy

I filleted my finger and didn't feel pain. I felt the impact of the blade and knew it was gonna be bad before I looked. Never really did hurt and now I have a boatload of subdermal scar tissue that sometimes hurts. I know it's not getting shot, though the concept of a sudden wound is similar.

I have known several people who were shot in combat, one was stabbed as a cop and the theme is the same. They either felt pain later or had no idea they were wounded at all until the dust settled.

You'll notice in children as well that their "boo-boos" don't hurt until they look at them and suddenly here come the tears and screaming

Last Edited:
I have broken both my ankles and tore one of them up pretty badly. after the initial shock/pain, everything just kinda goes numb, doesn't feel good but is not the excruciating pain one would expect

Fella I used to work with was a big old boy 6'6" 350ish and seen him hit the dirt twice at just the sight of his own blood. First time he smashed his hand pretty good and I thought hummm. Wierd but it was pretty flattened. Second was a mild cut with a razor knife to his pointer finger that took a couple stitches is all. Point is people react differently thats for sure.

I have a really high pain tolerance. I hit my thumb with the table saw, mangled the meat all up, but no bone. I drove to the urgent care across the river in Washington, was told to to the hospital. Then drove to the hospital.

Hit my chin skiing hard enough to break teeth. Five stitches in my chin and a few dental implants and things are back to normal. Oh man, when one of those teeth died and was on its way out, that was some pain.

I guess I have high pain tolerance
15 years ago I had an incident while cutting firewood
a 70' Alder tree was rotten inside and kicked back after I cut half way through
fell on me and pinned me to the ground - hit so quick, my Shihl chain saw was knocked out of my hand and sitting idling on the other side of the tree
I had a walky talky in my Carhartts and called my wife, wile pinned by the tree
"Uh - a tree fell on me"
she came back "HA HA - VERY FUNNY - click"
called back - "No - I'm pinned by an Alder - get someone to get this tree off of me"
I was in the woods over 100 yrds away and still heard her scream!!
laid there peacefully - under a 70' Alder staring up at an overcast rainy sky, sunk under the tree in the spring mud
then I heard my 10 year old son running down the forest trail - he found the end of the Alder, climbed on top and walked down until he found me
he sat on the tree over me, with my legs sticking out one side and the rest of me on the other - my Stihl still in idle on the forest floor
says he " Daddy, does this hurt????"

my son and I were discussing this tonight after watching a TV show where a person was shot in an extremity and fell to the ground incapacitated
2 years ago, I took an accidental discharge to my left hand - a 9mm went through my hand and separated 2 fingers off my hand
I pressed my hand against my side and walked back up to the house - felt no pain - only amazement that my hand was bleeding
as a former combat medic from '69, I advised my son how to care for my hand and we waited 30 min for the ambulance to show up
I sat in a chair on our gravel road for 30 min with my son, had intelligent conversations, made jokes and still experienced no pain
I had seen this in the Military and asked the trauma surgeon about this at Emanuel Hosp
She said my body experienced nerve pain overload and shut down the nerves, allowing the body to still function
I more or less experienced this when I crushed my foot (pulled a wheelie on a motorcycle, it got out of control and it dropped on my foot - I was wearing street shoes).

Anyway, I didn't really feel an appropriate amount of pain until the next day after the surgery. By then the foot had swelled up and standing (no weight on the injured foot) caused enough pain to make me almost pass out. I was off my feet and mostly bed ridden for almost a week with my foot elevated.

I was using a small electric chainsaw to cut up some twigs. One wrapped around the blade, bucked the saw back and hit the hand that was holding the limbs. (Two hands on the spinning knife of death, idiot...)

5 minutes later my wife asked where all the blood was coming from. I told her the dog must have gotten cut 😂 I had no idea the saw touched me. Cut two fingers right down to the bone. 10 stitches later and it finally started to hurt a little.

I've crashed a few times dirt biking out in the woods. Had to ride back to camp all bloody and broken. Playing sports in highschool and college, I've been stitched up more times than I can count.

I have a relatively high pain tolerance, but as a teacher/coach, I've seen kids break a nail and be out for the count. Others play on with dislocated limbs, broken bones, etc. and you'd never know until the game is over. Pain affects everyone differently.

I more or less experienced this when I crushed my foot (pulled a wheelie on a motorcycle, it got out of control and it dropped on my foot - I was wearing street shoes).

Anyway, I didn't really feel an appropriate amount of pain until the next day after the surgery. By then the foot had swelled up and standing (no weight on the injured foot) caused enough pain to make me almost pass out. I was off my feet and mostly bed ridden for almost a week with my foot elevated.
the ankle I tore up the worst took 2 surgeries, I was off work for 19 weeks and the sumbubblegum still hurts every day. it has been over 25 years now.

more or less the same way I messed up my left ankle, wheelie on a dirt bike, and got my foot in the back wheel some how, tennis shoes of course

From having multiple medical issues that can be painful, one thing I've noticed is that my body prioritizes pain. The cause of the greatest pain at a given moment cancels out pain from other things that hurt. One of my doctors told me this is the body's way of preventing an overwhelming condition of pain.

I haven't had many traumatic injuries. Those that I've had typically were relatively painless at the time of infliction, became painful post trauma.

so - in a self defense situation - how can you expect an opponent to respond after being shot?

View attachment 1185509 View attachment 1185510
How did this happen to you if I may ask?

What 9mm pistol were you using at the time?

I am glad that you did not hurt yourself so much that you died.

Take care.

Cate

You can't really expect or predict here.

Some folks will drop right there with a minor wound...others will keep fighting , with wounds that by all rights should have killed or incapacitated the person.

Never underestimate the will to live....or cause mayhem.
Andy
THIS is true no matter if it is a gun shot wound or any other type of wound or HORRIFIC fall and landing or you name it.

Take care.

Cate

How did this happen to you if I may ask?

What 9mm pistol were you using at the time?

I am glad that you did not hurt yourself so much that you died.

Take care.

Cate
An acquaintance of mine once shot himself in the hand with his 9mm--turns out doing ecstasy & playing with loaded guns doesn't mix well

He was feeling no pain-- we kept telling him to keep his hand above his head but he was having too much fun looking at it & spraying blood everywhere

Pretty much what the E.R. Doc told ya!
The body can only take so much pain before it ether ignores it, or shuts you down. in 20 years as a P.J. I seen a ton, some traumas that should have ended things right there, and others that left you scratching your head wondering how some one was still functional! Pain Overload is a real thing, the body can only process a certain amount before the nerves cannot transmit the signals and the body simply ignores it. Some times, the body simply shuts down, I.E. you pass out, or you get a major adrenalin hit and your bouncing around like a super ball waiting for the real pain to hit you! Some folk ( Like me) can learn to "Turn it off" somewhat, after all, pain is your physical receptors that signal the brain, and the brain runs the show, thus, you CAN control it if you concentrate enough. I'm told it's rare to be able to ignore pain or to simply make it go away, but it's real, and I suspect it's a part of how ones body is able to process pain!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top