JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm going home from the hospital tomorrow. Thanks to the efforts of my surgeon and to everyone here. It'll be 2-3 weeks before I can put any weight on it and that's dependent on it healing now that it's mostly closed. Regardless of the time, I'm feeling thankful and blessed that this wasn't far worse than it was, although God knows it was bad enough. Please be safe and constantly vigilant, folks. It's not worth it not to be. :)

I am glad that this wasn't much worse for you (though it is pretty bad as it is), I hope healing goes quickly and completely with no further complications. I do not enjoy thinking about that happening to me.

I'm going home from the hospital tomorrow. Thanks to the efforts of my surgeon and to everyone here. It'll be 2-3 weeks before I can put any weight on it and that's dependent on it healing now that it's mostly closed. Regardless of the time, I'm feeling thankful and blessed that this wasn't far worse than it was, although God knows it was bad enough. Please be safe and constantly vigilant, folks. It's not worth it not to be. :)

Go home, heal up, and get back on the horse, brother. Glad everything turned out well.

-Mike

It's always the ones we love that hurt us the most. Sorry your PCR bit you like that not long after your love letter thread.

A great reminder to be vigilant at all times. I always try to be focused when clearing a gun at home, especially when not near my clearing bucket.

So were you doing a press check to see if the chamber was loaded? Do you think in the future you'll completely open the action to check, especially when intending to clear the weapon? I know you have a bunch of mistakes listed, but is there anything you think you can do consistently better? This is out of curiosity because I do like to learn from other's experiences.

Speedy recovery to you.

I give you an A+ for telling this story. I've thought about this and were I in a similar situation would I publicize it? I just dont know. I do know there will be much benefit to all of us who read what you wrote. Thank you

It's always the ones we love that hurt us the most. Sorry your PCR bit you like that not long after your love letter thread.

A great reminder to be vigilant at all times. I always try to be focused when clearing a gun at home, especially when not near my clearing bucket.

So were you doing a press check to see if the chamber was loaded? Do you think in the future you'll completely open the action to check, especially when intending to clear the weapon? I know you have a bunch of mistakes listed, but is there anything you think you can do consistently better? This is out of curiosity because I do like to learn from other's experiences.

Speedy recovery to you.

Obviously I cant speak for him but I dont think he was doing a press check. I think he was pulling the slide back to unload the chambered round. The slide is pretty small and doesn't offer a real secure grip. Also the PCR has a nub that sticks out on the top of the slide as a chamber indicator when loaded, so a press check isnt neccessary to see if a round is in there.

First of all my best wishes to the OP for a speedy recovery. One of the take aways for me and applicable to any hazardous activity, (I learned this in my cave diving training) is to fix the first problem you encounter first, before you go into anything else. The OP listed three consecutive mistakes he made, continuing to proceed without fixing any of them ultimately leading to the accidental discharge of his firearm. The other take away for me is, you don't know what you don't know. Again, something you learn in cave diving training so you don't go guessing about how you do something, your not trained for. If you own guns, and anyone who is on here does, take the time to understand how that gun works. If you chamber a round, understand how hazardous that tool has now become.

I've been instructed by a few members on SIGforum.com to pass on their thanks to the OP for his post.

As well as sympathies, of course.

'Friendly fire? Listen to me - it doesn't matter whose bullet hits you, the pain is the same.'

I've gone over that decision endlessly. I think I press checked it because I really didn't expect to find it loaded. Since I was bagging it, I should have just dropped the mag and cycled the slide fully at least a couple of times. That's what I normally do. Can't reply it, but that most certainly will be what I do in the future.

As noted above, the PCR does I'm fact have a tiny stainless pin that sticks up as a loaded chamber indicator. New gun. First time to the range. And I didn't pick up on the LCI like I should have. I actually did have my hand on the rear of the slide pulling it back, so it wasn't a press check per se, which is why I lost purchase on it and it snapped forward hard enough to cause the other problems. Bad technique all the way around. Which won't happen again. Ever.

I've been instructed by a few members on SIGforum.com to pass on their thanks to the OP for his post.

As well as sympathies, of course.

'Friendly fire? Listen to me - it doesn't matter whose bullet hits you, the pain is the same.'
Actually, the pain from something satupid you cause yourself is way, way worse.

This is a follow up a week and a day after what I'm now at least letting myself call an accident. I'm home, can drive when I'm not taking any pain meds, and, other than running a mild fever and some redness at the wound site, I'm not showing any serious signs of infection. I still am stuck on crutches or my knee scooter, but am able to get around ok for the most part. As I've stated numerous times here and to my friends and family, I'm focusing on the incredible good fortune I've had that this wasn't far, far worse or perhaps even fatal.

The surgeon closed the entry and exit wounds as much as possible. It wasn't completely possible since the bullet damaged the tissue around the wounds, causing him to have to trim each of them back. So both the wounds still remain partially open, with each having a diameter about the size of the 9mm bullet as it entered and exited my foot. The wounds are ugly as hell, but again, it beats what they could have been by miles.

I just want to express again my thanks to everyone here for the incredibly positive feedback and comments. It has made my recovery much easier knowing that people haven't written me off for such a disasterous mistake. I have also decided (with my wife's input — not like I could argue against her right now) that I'll be selling off any of my home defense and/or carry weapons that lack a thumb or other positive safety mechanism. That's in short a recognition that we have little ones around here, our grandkids, quite often.

The decision to change to more robustly safe firearms also means I'll have some very nice weapons up for sale in the next few days. But since one of the new ones I'll be getting is a Dan Wesson Valor Commander in .45 ACP in DW's amazing black factory finish that I've hungered for for years, I'm not upset at all. Watch the classifieds. I should be posting them tomorrow or the next day. New gross injury pictures follow. I'm amazed how healed I look. Ok, not really. Not really at all. Sigh 2FA48F2B-ED38-470C-9F79-467F0949281B.jpeg 022BB0C0-24EE-42BF-B177-97D7C610C541.jpeg

Glad your healing up ok. Well as ok as you can considering. Sucks to have to sell off your firearms but it's also good for someone to recognize when a change needs to be made, so good on you for that. Good news is you'll probably get all your money back for your PCR. With how hard they can be to find someone will snatch it up for full price. Especially since it's only been shot once..

Good news is you'll probably get all your money back for your PCR. With how hard they can be to find someone will snatch it up for full price. Especially since it's only been shot once..
Yeah, but as much as I love it, I think it would just bring back the wrong memories every time I picked it up from here on out. Sort of like when I sold the Mossberg 12-gauge my distinctly mentally unhinged ex-wife used to blow a hold in our bedroom wall while I was lucky enough to be out of the house. Since the hole was right over my pillow and she had already been really angry at me when she called me at work that day, it wasn't too difficult figuring out she was shooting me in effigy. Thank god I didn't come home earlier. The gun sold very quickly, but it took me the better part of a year to get rid of my ex. And that struggle cost me half of my Air Force retirement (a federal law that just can't be challenged), a bankruptcy to settle the $35k in credit card and other debt she ran up without me knowing, and almost a decade to rebuild my own credit and get established in my new mental health career in the aftermath. So I'm not complaining. It is what it is.

Last Edited:
Excellent news SS! I've been amazed at how well the docs today can rebuild and aid in the recovery from some pretty devastating injuries. In a year you'll probably still feel some affects from the wound but you'll be counting your blessings your doing as well as you are considering everything. At some point, once it's healed up better, you'll start therapy and have to push it a bit, it's worth it in the end but is a pain in the arse.

Heal up quick! You'll be chasing them grandkids in no time :D

SynapticSilence, I shared this with members of another firearms forum I am a member of. All of the responses from members there have ask me to tell you "Thank you for Sharing this" ,they have also deicided to fess up to their own ND experiences while asking me to wish you a speedy and complete recovery. I want to thank you as well, while I am extremely fortunate to have never had an ND or AD, it has made me re-examine my own actions with my firearms both in the home and out. I hope to continue with my fortune of never experiencing this myself. Again Thank you for have the guts to share this. Recover quickly and fully, but let me say looking at your pictures OUCH!

SynapticSilence, I shared this with members of another firearms forum I am a member of. All of the responses from members there have ask me to tell you "Thank you for Sharing this" ,they have also deicided to fess up to their own ND experiences while asking me to wish you a speedy and complete recovery.
I really didn't expect the amazingly positive and supportive comments I've gotten. I can tell you that I agonized over posting it. I was afraid I'd come across self serving and trying to paint my stupidity in a positive light. There is NOTHING positive about this. The redressing of my wounds makes me confront that every time they take the bandages off. While I remain positive this will likely heal completely, I also know that, if you believe Underwood Ammo's data, the two bones in my ankle absorbed 392 ft/lbs of energy at a range of only 2-3 feet. They had every right to blow apart or collapse on themselves. So I have no idea what effect that might have in the short or long term. So I do appreciate it. And the fact that other people are gaining some benefit from my screw up.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top