JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Over 50 years ago I was accidentally shot in my right leg by a buddy who I was shooting with. Bullet entered just below my knee on the outside of my lower leg, and the doctor removed it down near my ankle. I felt no pain at all, and didn't even know I was hit until a few minutes later when I felt a wetness inside my boot that puzzled me. I sat down and pulled my pants leg up to see my sock was bloody, and we headed to the ER room.
It wasn't until the doctor got started messing with it and hadn't deadened it yet that I felt the first pain. The next morning I was really sore and had to use crutches, but the day before I walked around after it happened with no problems at all.

it's been just over 2 years since the incident, my sister asked me if my hand still hurts
yes it does, but about the same as the arthritis in my joints
Ibuprofen helps a lot
still have trouble tying my boots, cant use small tools in my left hand, can only use my thumb and 2 fingers to hold thing
can't crush a bear can with my left hand
cant shoot a pistol left handed
cant hold the stem of my wine challis in my left hand - that's the worst
but I can work the controls on my tractor and use a shovel and rake and that's what count

my son and I were discussing this tonight after watching a TV show where a person was shot in an extremity and fell to the ground incapacitated
2 years ago, I took an accidental discharge to my left hand - a 9mm went through my hand and separated 2 fingers off my hand
I pressed my hand against my side and walked back up to the house - felt no pain - only amazement that my hand was bleeding
as a former combat medic from '69, I advised my son how to care for my hand and we waited 30 min for the ambulance to show up
I sat in a chair on our gravel road for 30 min with my son, had intelligent conversations, made jokes and still experienced no pain
but my wife was uncontrollable and in panic - blood all over the kitchen
pain did kick in about 45 min later
I had seen this in the Military and asked the trauma surgeon about this at Emanuel Hosp
She said my body experienced nerve pain overload and shut down the nerves, allowing the body to still function
I was able to function for 45 min without pain
but she said every person is different with pain tolerance

so - in a self defense situation - how can you expect an opponent to respond after being shot?

View attachment 1185509 View attachment 1185510
You get shot by someone else or yourself? I don't really have anything productive in response to the question in your post. If I was you I would strongly base it off personal experience. And I've never been shot so couldn't share. I could only go with flight or fight and everyone's pain tolerance is different.

You get shot by someone else or yourself? I don't really have anything productive in response to the question in your post. If I was you I would strongly base it off personal experience. And I've never been shot so couldn't share. I could only go with flight or fight and everyone's pain tolerance is different.
there is a very long posting on this incident 2 years ago - it was a hang fire from bad ammo in a Glock
my recent posting is on long term recovery from this incident
had a good surgeon, great rehab, but 2 years later, it still hurts and don't have full use of my hand
disabled out of work, but I was 70 by then
have this hook hand that helps with heavy lifting of hay bales and 5 gal buckets

hook hand (2).jpg

there is a very long posting on this incident 2 years ago - it was a hang fire from bad ammo in a Glock
my recent posting is on long term recovery from this incident
had a good surgeon, great rehab, but 2 years later, it still hurts and don't have full use of my hand
disabled out of work, but I was 70 by then
have this hook hand that helps with heavy lifting of hay bales and 5 gal buckets

View attachment 1284966
So you shot yourself?

So you shot yourself?
are we going through this again? this was covered in the very long posting 2 years ago
according to the police report, which I have a copy of, the insurance evaluation and 2 psych reports, it was an accidental discharge due to faulty ammo
I was approved for disability for a year, because it was determined I did not shoot myself
if someone want to get on this " you shot yourself" bandwagon, I shall just ignore them
this posting is on the long term recovery and pain from a gunshot wound from personal experience
the worst damage to my had was not from the bullet wound, it was from the cauterizing of the wound from the point blank muzzle blast
seared the nerves and joints in my hand

are we going through this again? this was covered in the very long posting 2 years ago
according to the police report, which I have a copy of, the insurance evaluation and 2 psych reports, it was an accidental discharge due to faulty ammo
I was approved for disability for a year, because it was determined I did not shoot myself
if someone want to get on this " you shot yourself" bandwagon, I shall just ignore them
this posting is on the long term recovery and pain from a gunshot wound from personal experience
the worst damage to my had was not from the bullet wound, it was from the cauterizing of the wound from the point blank muzzle blast
Not at all. I'm just responding to this post, which was not two years ago and you never directly answered my question. I think it's safe to assume you AD'd your self.

What I'm getting at is I think there is a difference between self inflicted vs by someone else. To simplify things, think about your self hitting your finger with a hammer accidentally vs someone else hitting your finger with a hammer. I think there would be a total different internal response.

I can guarantee If I accidentally shot my self, I would down play it cause I would feel like a dumb bubblegum, even it was a hang fire. If someone else shot me accidentally, it's easier to place blame.

Here is an example:
If someone shot him, I assume it would be a totally different response.

Also kind of irritating you say "…the police report, which I have a copy of, the insurance evaluation and 2 psych reports.." assuming it was a self inflicted AD, just own it instead of dancing around the question. You clearly violated the cardinal rules of firearms safety. Which stuff happens, none of us are perfect. Just don't justify it by police report, insurance evaluation and psych evals.

Not at all. I'm just responding to this post, which was not two years ago and you never directly answered my question. I think it's safe to assume you AD'd your self.

What I'm getting at is I think there is a difference between self inflicted vs by someone else. To simplify things, think about your self hitting your finger with a hammer accidentally vs someone else hitting your finger with a hammer. I think there would be a total different internal response.

I can guarantee If I accidentally shot my self, I would down play it cause I would feel like a dumb bubblegum, even it was a hang fire. If someone else shot me accidentally, it's easier to place blame.

Here is an example:
If someone shot him, I assume it would be a totally different response.
I don't feel like a bubblegum and will continue to discuss the incident with others as a learning experience
I take it you didn't read the original postings, so here's the short version
was shooting cheep ammo through my Glock22 with a 9mm conversion, had been shooting the conversion for several years
shot a full mag, then halfway through another, had a Failure to Fire
dropped the mag, turned the pistol down at a 45 deg angle and waited a couple sec
looked down at the Glock and observed the trigger to the rear - firing pin had released
then I took my left hand and swept over the muzzle to rack the slide back - been doing this for 30 years or more with no issue
for the 10 msec my had was in front of the muzzle, the faulty round fired - imbedded in the bottom rail of my front gate

after getting out of the hospital, I fired 2 mags through the Glock again and had no malfunctions

I had NEVER had a hang fire in my entire life of shooting since 1965, didn't even know it was a problem with modern ammo - but it is
my suggestion is if one has a hangfire, don't even put the pistol down on the bench, it can still fire - keep it held in a safe direction for atleast 20 sec, then rack the slide

You get shot by someone else or yourself? I don't really have anything productive in response to the question in your post. If I was you I would strongly base it off personal experience.
You might want to read this thread you are commenting on from the start or just read page 1 post 1 / page 2 posts 34,38,/ page 3 posts 42, 52, 54, 56 to help you understand the context of this thread. :)

I don't feel like a bubblegum and will continue to discuss the incident with others as a learning experience
I take it you didn't read the original postings, so here's the short version
was shooting cheep ammo through my Glock22 with a 9mm conversion, had been shooting the conversion for several years
shot a full mag, then halfway through another, had a Failure to Fire
dropped the mag, turned the pistol down at a 45 deg angle and waited a couple sec
looked down at the Glock and observed the trigger to the rear - firing pin had released
then I took my left hand and swept over the muzzle to rack the slide back - been doing this for 30 years or more with no issue
for the 10 msec my had was in front of the muzzle, the faulty round fired - imbedded in the bottom rail of my front gate

after getting out of the hospital, I fired 2 mags through the Glock again and had no malfunctions

I had NEVER had a hang fire in my entire life of shooting since 1965, didn't even know it was a problem with modern ammo - but it is
my suggestion is if one has a hangfire, don't even put the pistol down on the bench, it can still fire - keep it held in a safe direction for atleast 20 sec, then rack the slide
I didn't mean to upset you or offend you. I think context matters so I was trying to understand as best as I could. Me personally, I just think there would be a different response based on whether a person shot themself or was shot by another either accidentally or viciously.

I'm glad you want to discuss with others the learning experience. As far as discussion and education, on a failure to fire, a person should tap the magazine to make sure the magazine is seated, rack the slide to make sure a round is in the chamber and then continue on. All while pointing their gun at something they are not will to kill or destroy (a safe direction). I call it "tap, rack, ready".

I told you I didn't read through the original post because it was not this thread. You referred to as a fail safe when you didn't want to directly answer my question.

Curious of the ammo brand for hang-fire.

You might want to read this thread you are commenting on from the start or just read page 1 post 1 / page 2 posts 34,38,/ page 3 posts 42, 52, 54, 56 to help you understand the context of this thread. :)
I did check page 1 post 1 before commenting on thread and it was not obviously clear. I will be honest I did not check page 2 posts 34,38,/ page 3 posts 42, 52, 54, 56.

And thank you, I just read through "page 2 posts 34,38,/ page 3 posts 42, 52, 54, 56" to help me understand the context of this thread. It seems he probably shot himself.

at first I blamed the Glock - just a human reaction
I even offered to give the Glock away to a friend who collected Glocks the first week after the incident
but I have continued to shoot this 9mm conversion for 2 years with great results
just a hang fire caused by a bad round - just one bad round out of a 50 rnd box
and I have continued to shoot the same white box ammo without another FTF

And thank you, I just read through "page 2 posts 34,38,/ page 3 posts 42, 52, 54, 56" to help me understand the context of this thread. It seems he probably shot himself.
I was a combat medic trained in 1969
during this incident, I talked my son through treating a gunshot wound
he performed well - didn't flinch or throw up, sat with me on the gravel road to our remote property until Paramedics showed up
washed his cloth in Clorox afterward to get the blood out
have you trained your family in how to treat a gunshot wound??
just wondering

it's been just over 2 years since the incident, my sister asked me if my hand still hurts
yes it does, but about the same as the arthritis in my joints
Ibuprofen helps a lot
still have trouble tying my boots, cant use small tools in my left hand, can only use my thumb and 2 fingers to hold thing
can't crush a bear can with my left hand
cant shoot a pistol left handed
cant hold the stem of my wine challis in my left hand - that's the worst
but I can work the controls on my tractor and use a shovel and rake and that's what count
So you wouldn't recommend shooting yourself in the hand?

I was a combat medic trained in 1969
during this incident, I talked my son through treating a gunshot wound
he performed well - didn't flinch or throw up, sat with me on the gravel road to our remote property until Paramedics showed up
washed his cloth in Clorox afterward to get the blood out
have you trained your family in how to treat a gunshot wound??
just wondering
My eldest child is barely old enough to start school. So no not trained to treat a gun shot wound.

Sounds like your son performed well. And thank you for service.

I'm always here if you need an ear. Here is also a helpful resource: https://benefits.va.gov/benefits/

#godblessyou

IRT the initial question, the guy (can't recall his name) on the "Active Self Protection" youtube channel brings up the "FIBS Factor" quite a bit which is "Fluck I've Been Shot Factor". He preaches that you have to be able to fight through that because apparently in his research he's found that many people immediately fall to the ground and pretty much give up as dead when they get shot whether it's a significant shot or not. So there is certainly a mental factor in a person's reaction to a gunshot wound.

I took my left hand and swept over the muzzle to rack the slide back - been doing this for 30 years or more with no issue
for the 10 msec my had was in front of the muzzle, the faulty round fired
You know what they say, "Luck breeds ignorance!"

A shining example of why we treat every gun as if it is loaded, and any FTF as if it could go off at any second.

You're lucky you received any disability payments at all. Based on that description of the incident, it sure looks like you brought it on yourself.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top