JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I read an article 20 some years ago (read about almost every circumstance there could ever be by most every writer out there) (probably Aasyood?) whatever
Anyway
The cop was going to get milk.

MILK for gawd's sake.He had his 38 snub in his pocket.
Again I am going to get milk.

He's grabbing the milk.
Nobody MOVE!!!
Shyte.

OK there is 2,maybe 3 shot guns. FAAAACK (not good if they edited it)

He was able to shoot 2 of them quickly with 4 shots

OK I have 1 left

The moral of the story is he never left the house without his Sig 229 with at least 1 extra clip.

If you don't have a gun with you,no problem.You are just another victim.

If you do have one,wouldn't you want some fire power?

XD45, either compact or service model, strongside IWB. Extra mag in a sweatshirt pocket or pants cargo pocket that seems like it was made to hold a pistol magazine. Not the fastest setup for a scenario where I need the extra mag, but better than leaving it at home.

All in all, I'd say leave the 1911 for bbq's and carry something more reliable.
Your 1911 only holds 8 rounds... but it will probably jam on the 3rd round anyway.

???

What! Have had nor do I have any "jam issues" on any 1911 i own or have owned. From basic Springer GI to fully loaded. "oh, except for the Tarus one I had very briefly.

Thousand of rounds through them all, no jams. I have never heard of such issues unless a person was doing bubba smithing to it thus turning it into a jam-o-matic.

I know of one that has over 30,000rd through it, standard mil-spec springer and the thing is just a reliable as ever.

As to the OP. Yes I carry a spare mag. 1911's or XD's. Should always carry a spare.

I've owned four 1911 45acp pistols. Never, "Never" had a jam in 45 years of shooting either in combat or recreational shooting. If you dick around with them beyond the design perameters, you'll get a problem. Slight trigger job, combat hammer, maybe sight upgrade and feed ramp polish. Wilson combat magazines. You can't go wrong!
I'm tired of the ignorant pups that like a plastic one size fits all types trying to diss a tried and true weapon. My 1911's are more accurate, more reliable and easier to conceal than any of my polymer pistols. Ammo is the fault in most all failure to feed, fire or eject on most semiautos. Get a grip niceguy.

Greydog. Semper Fi Mr Browning.:s0155:

Perhaps a mod would like to clean up the posts responding to the troll that don't have anything to do with the thread topic and put them in another thread so it doesn't ruin this one too much? :)

so this honest question thread has turned into a Glock VS 1911 thread...back to the OP, Please...
I always carry an extra mag, no matter what gun I have on me. better safe than sorry.

I'll call the poling company tomorrow. We'll get to the bottom of this.

1911tanks.gif

This was me as a stunt double right here.

The gun anyone should carry is the gun they shoot the best.
Shot placement supersedes all calibers.
You should use the gun you are most comfortable shooting.

Again you are not shooting quality 1911s if they are jamming on you.

How many 1911 have you shot? One or two that jammed?

Let me tell you I have put at least 10 mags a day,every time I have shot my Kimber, with every conceivable round in them,and NEVER had a miss feed or misfire.

Cheap rounds(ball ammo) to all the different defense rounds.

No problems

None,nada,NINE (probably spelled wrong)

get rid of the Charles Daley or that Chinese 1911

Regardless of what you carry, you should always have a spare mag or speed loader just in case. BTW, I carry a Kimber Eclipse Ultra, and have never had any problems (Lucky?). However, in my experience with 1911s, you do need to keep up on the maintenance more so than with a Glock or Sig.

I always carry extra magazines. I do it for the same reason I have a spare tire in my vehicles. I don't plan on the tire or magazine failing, but if it does, I want to have something to transition to so I'm not stranded, or without a working firearm.

Magazines are only mechanical devices. All mechanical devices can break, jam, not work, or get lost. If you don't plan for normal failure of mechanical devices, I think it is foolish and short sighted.

I don't carry a back up gun. When I carry my XD9, no extra mags. If I carry the KelTec PF9, it only holds 8 rounds so I carry 1 extra mag. I carry with the thought of getting out of most, not every concievable situation.

I carry an extra mag if possible. If I can't carry it on my person comfortably then I have one in my car or something.

You can never say that a certain amount of shots will be enough. You want all the ammo you can if you end up fighting somebody in a gunfight that involves cover and movement. I know this for a fact and I'm thinking the high capacity 9mm rules over that of a single stack .45 in that scenario. I would feel more powerful anyways. There is a lot of potential for wasted shots in a gunfight, whether it's because of cover, movement, or just creating leverage for aggression or defense.

Think about it. 8 shots is nothing in some scenarios. Especially considering that somebody can keep fighting for extended time even when shot multiple times. If I am carrying 6-9 rounds(which I do at times), it's because that is all I can carry or I consider myself to be doing something I consider stupid. I should have learned and know better! But it surely is better than nothing! A knife is better than nothing too.

The likelihood of being in an extended gunfight seems small enough to me to make it not worth it to bring an extra magazine, at least when it comes to big heavy 15rd+ double stack magazines. I am not mil/leo so mostly all I have to worry about is being mugged or in a store that is being robbed or something. I don't wear body armor everywhere I go either. :)

I always carry extra magazines. I do it for the same reason I have a spare tire in my vehicles. I don't plan on the tire or magazine failing, but if it does, I want to have something to transition to so I'm not stranded, or without a working firearm.

Magazines are only mechanical devices. All mechanical devices can break, jam, not work, or get lost. If you don't plan for normal failure of mechanical devices, I think it is foolish and short sighted.

Welcome to the club of "people who think outside the box". Very much agree with the statement. If we all knew when our rig was going to break down we wouldnt have a need for tow trucks. I dont care what the firearm is, it's gonna break eventually especially if it is the only one in the stable.

i carry a glock 26 and ialso carry a extra glock 19 magazine with me . because you just never know . also to the guys arguing about a 1911 . i used to carry a colt compact 1911 that has never jammed on me but it was just to heavy for iwb carry everywhere i go . i must add that i bought a brand new para ord warthog 1911 style gun with 3 inch barrel . and it jammed on 2nd and last round quite a bit . ive read that they are very tight when new but i just couldnt get it out of my mind that it jammed ever . thats why i carry a glock now

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top