JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It depends on how I'm dressed. If I can get away with an extra magazine I'll carry one. I normally choose to carry a BUG over an extra magazine. Clearing a jam takes more time than pulling a BUG from an ankle holster.

There are times when I carry just a snug revolver and a speed strip, but I prefer to have a couple firearms available in case of a gun failure.

Steyr S9 - 10 rd. mag with 1 up the spout + 2 10 rd mags is standard walking around rig. If I'm going into town add a 5 shot or 6 shot .38. Also have a "tactical" folder, i.e. sharp 1-hand opening lock blade, but that's mostly a tool rather than a weapon.

Where possible, I am happiest with a full size Glock and two extra magazines.
Full size is the 21 with a total of then 40 rounds or a 20 with
thus 46 total rounds.

I have never had a situation where that was insufficient. On the other
hand the times I have needed a firearm no shots have been fired. I
suspect the backup magazines will never be used--and I hope that
continues to be so. But, it would be truly awful to need that first back
up magazine and not have it there when one reaches. I have drilled
with tap, rack, bang enough times that it is second nature. That is what
the first backup magazine is necessary for. The second one is truly backup.

As I have said elsewhere in this forum, I have a handgun because it is
not always practical to have one's shotgun close at hand. Your tastes
and experiences are probably different.

-sbc

Depends on the weather. In the winter yeah I carry a spare mag in my jacket. But if some of you guys carry 2 extra mags around everyday, do you have really big pockets or wear a fanny pack? Especially double stack mags. I don't have room on top of CCW, cell phone, keys, wallet, and occasional pack of smokes.

You gotta decide if making room is worth it to you.

My current setup is (starting and 12:00 and working CW),

- Bianchi speed strip w/4 .38SPL @ 1:00 (coin pocket of jeans)
- Sig P228 (16rnds) @ 5:00
- SureFire P6 w/Malkoff M61 & Spare 18rnd mag in combo holder @ 9:00
- S&W442 in AOWB (soon to be crossdraw) @ 11:30

I plan for the worst and hope for the best. Most plan for the best when it comes to CCW and some just don't plan much at all.

All that fits under a loose button up shirt in 100deg weather without printing BTW.

You gotta decide if making room is worth it to you.

My current setup is (starting and 12:00 and working CW),

- Bianchi speed strip w/4 .38SPL @ 1:00 (coin pocket of jeans)
- Sig P228 (16rnds) @ 5:00
- SureFire P6 w/Malkoff M61 & Spare 18rnd mag in combo holder @ 9:00
- S&W442 in AOWB (soon to be crossdraw) @ 11:30

I plan for the worst and hope for the best. Most plan for the best when it comes to CCW and some just don't plan much at all.

All that fits under a loose button up shirt in 100deg weather without printing BTW.

Lol with that much stuff I'm surprised you're not walkin' around with some concealable body armor too. Also you should get an NAA mini revolver. Why carry only 3 guns when you could have 4?

I have drilled
with tap, rack, bang enough times that it is second nature. That is what
the first backup magazine is necessary for. The second one is truly backup

Um.. tap rack bang doesn't use a second magazine. You hit the bottom of the magazine that's already in the gun, then rack, then bang. It is the failure drill for the failure to feed type of jam that is usually caused by not seating the magazine all the way when you put it in. It will also work for failure to fire and failure to go into battery (though not strictly necessary for this one).

Lol with that much stuff I'm surprised you're not walkin' around with some concealable body armor too. Also you should get an NAA mini revolver. Why carry only 3 guns when you could have 4?

[Uncle Buck]Ahehehehe, why don't you learn to count... then when you figure out 1 gun + 1BUG = "2" guns come back and explain what your setup is and why having a BUG seems so far off the grid to you? aheheehehe[/Uncle Buck]

If I'm carrying a sig p238 that is only 6+1 I like to carry an extra mag. I know that 7 rounds of .380ACP is probably more than enough to take out any threat I'm likely to encounter but I just feel more comfortable being able to top if off afterwards given the low capacity. Also a single stack 6rd .380ACP magazine is tiny and doesn't really weigh anything so who cares.

Also: you guys are trolled WAY too easily.

I see you already responded and are just proving your last point I suppose. you are the perfect example of what I said about people preparing for the fight they want.

To get back on topic...
Has anyone ever had their mag drop out of their gun while holstered? Or the mag release was hit and the mag no longer locked in? What happens when you draw the gun now and (because you only need one mag) the 15rnds that were in that gun are now in the car seat or on the deck?

Spare mags are not just for reloads and type 3 malfunctions.

Somewhat off topic...
What happens when you can't draw that gun because you are defending a gun grab or in a position that won't allow you? A BUG setup for weak hand starts to make sense. Add the fact that BUG makes for another armed person (spouse/friend) that can be a huge multiplier and the BUG has become a part of my tool kit as of this year. Laugh all you want Spengo, but I can think of several real world incidents and show you video of them where that BUG would have made the difference between life and death.

I see you already responded and are just proving your last point I suppose. you are the perfect example of what I said about people preparing for the fight they want.

Wow, way to get a hurt butt when none was necessary. I had no points there, I just answered op's question. I carry an extra mag when it is convenient. If it is always reasonably convenient for you to have an extra mag then more power to ya. More bullets is better than less.

If I'm out running/biking/hiking I don't want to have a lot of gear weighing me down that is very likely not going to be needed. It just seems to me that it is unlikely that I will need a gun at all, very unlikely that if I do need a gun I will need more than 17+1 of 9mm, and astronomically unlikely that if I do need more than 17+1 I will be able to win a gun fight against so many bad guys. I'm only willing to let my preparedness interfere with the rest of my life so much. Again, if I find it convenient, then sure I'm bringing more ammo. More is always better than less. Except for eggplant, I never liked eggplant.

Like I said, you have to make the decision. Some feel a 5 shot j-frame is all they need or are willing to carry. Between that and nothing I would take that. Given a choice I would be better prepared.

Why is my butt hurt? Cause I called you out on your trolling? hmmm...

As for you statical argument... I can't argue with you. Statistics say one BG, 3ft, 3 shots. Statistics are great until you are one.

I carry two 15 rnd spare mags (G22 mags) in an iTAC paddle mag carrier.... a light (4sevens quark AA2) and a knife (CRKT or Kershaw). I think it's a bad idea to not carry spare mags, and since I carry the ammo/mags on the opposite side of the gun, it kinda balances everything out. You don't wanna ever be in a situation where you wish you had extra mags.... better safe than sorry IMHO.

What is it with all the 1911 bashing? it's almost the 100th anv. for the 1911, do you really think if they were crap guns they would be around for almost 100 years? GROW UP!!!

I tend to carry at least one spare mag on me, or two speed loaders if I'm going with the .357. If it's a low-traffic time(late night, or a 'bad' area) I'll pop a second mag in the paddle.

From what I've read I'll speed through the first mag, go for the reload and I'll either be dead or done by that time. The third mag most likely won't come into play.

BTW: I love eggplant.

Depends on the weather. In the winter yeah I carry a spare mag in my jacket. But if some of you guys carry 2 extra mags around everyday, do you have really big pockets or wear a fanny pack? Especially double stack mags. I don't have room on top of CCW, cell phone, keys, wallet, and occasional pack of smokes.

I have given up trying to fit it all on me. Gun and mags on the belt, most everything else has a spot in the man purse (no not a leather European shoulder bag.)

like this one ___ Maxpedition Versipack Tactical Nylon Military Gear, Concealed Carry Shoulder Sling Bag, Fanny Butt Pack

its like having a mini bob bag with you all the time.

Last Edited:
Like I said, you have to make the decision. Some feel a 5 shot j-frame is all they need or are willing to carry. Between that and nothing I would take that. Given a choice I would be better prepared.

Why is my butt hurt? Cause I called you out on your trolling? hmmm...

As for you statical argument... I can't argue with you. Statistics say one BG, 3ft, 3 shots. Statistics are great until you are one.

Maybe I was a bit butt hurt too. Anyway I misread and I was just jokin around. Sometimes I want to carry around 4 guns just for bubblegums and giggles. If it was socially acceptable some days I'd carry around an AR-15.

It would be fun to be like this guy every now and then: YouTube - Baggy cloths and dress code for public schools

Maybe I was a bit butt hurt too. Anyway I misread and I was just jokin around. Sometimes I want to carry around 4 guns just for bubblegums and giggles. If it was socially acceptable some days I'd carry around an AR-15.

It would be fun to be like this guy every now and then: YouTube - Baggy cloths and dress code for public schools

there's been a time or two when i've felt like that guy. i've done some work in neighborhoods that were crazy bad.. i've even strapped pistols and mags to my tool belt a few times.

and i gotta tell you- i've been charged by pitbulls in three different neighborhoods, on three different jobs. each time, i had not a firearm, and was only able to retreat with my life because of the tools in my tool bags. my framing hatchet makes a great weapon... the last time it happened, however, i'd apparently left my hatchet on the roof, and all i had in my bag when i reached for it was a hammer-tacker.... so i just turned and ran, and somehow made it up the ladder before he tore my asscheek off. called 911 from the roof. police ended up shooting that dog, in fact, later in the evening.

so these days, i'm inclined to wear a pistol on the job site whether i'm in the 'hood or not.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top