JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You got some sabot slugs already?
I've been perusing the online catalog at Ballistic Products, Inc., and emailing their "lab" techs. I ordered their slug cookbook, and after I get that, I will pour out some treasure for slug fixins and some birdshot stuff. I've loaded 28 ga. for some time, but my only previous experience with 20 ga. was with full brass hulls. The 20 ga. Lee shotshell reloading outfit arrives tomorrow. I've got other 20 ga. guns so it isn't just about the latest one.

I could kick myself, years ago, I bought two trunk loads of ammo from a big sporting goods chain that was closing their local branch. It was 90% off and I bought lots. Including all kinds of those fancy sabot slug rounds, copper solids, etc. I never used a single one, sold them off about 10 or 12 years ago. Now that stuff is $3 to $4 a round when you can find it. But you can't keep it all forever. At the time, I hadn't a clue that someday I'd have the 20 ga. rifled bore gun.

Last Edited:
This is news to me. Just this morning, I went to my FFL dealer and picked up a little NEF single shot 20 gauge Tracker II (rifled barrel). Which was my latest impulse buy. It took about 20 minutes from the time I walked in the door to the time I walked out the door with the shotgun. He called NICS and got the good word and sent me on my way. I was under the impression that the mandatory 10 day wait on all long guns didn't start until middle of 2024.
The early roll out is starting in a few select counties...Skagit being one of them...lucky me...Thanks Jay ...:rolleyes: :mad:
Andy

A new transmission for our 4x4 E 350. Sigh…there go all the rest of my fun impulse purchase for a LONG time. Anyone interested in a Russian SKS? How about a rare CZ40b or a Manurhin PP? No? How about a spare kidney?

What engine does it have? I take it this isn't a factory built vehicle.
Stock 5.4 v8. Definitely not a factory build. The little 5.4 has plenty of power for our purposes. It'll go pretty much anywhere…slowly. Anything over 70mph is a deathwish with the lift and short wheelbase, so keeping things light helps. Thought about the diesel, but didn't want the extra weight and complexity.

Stock 5.4 v8. Definitely not a factory build.
Until now, I didn't know these conversions were "a thing" but a little poking around on the internet tells me different. There are entire websites about it.

I've got two Ford products 4x2, one has the 4R70W auto trans, the other has the 4R75W and both of those are pretty bulletproof. Before my mother died, she had an old Lincoln LS with the 5R55N which was a snake pit because the servo bores in those wore out prematurely. That 5R55 series was used in a bunch of other vehicles, including Explorer.

Oh, back on topic, here is my new NEF single shot Tracker II 20 ga. Okay, this is an odd-ball. New England Firearms, which also made the Harrington & Richardson brand at the same time, would occasionally come out with "Limited Editions." Which were not shown in their annual catalog. Over the years they were offered, they came in a variety of configurations. My theory is, these were "limited editions" because they were made up from overstock parts that the factory had on hand and production was restricted to the amount of parts available that they wanted to clear out. They are sometimes seen with laminated stocks. The stock set on this one was drilled for sling swivels but those were obviously never installed because there are no threads down into the holes. The butt stock may have been a factory second, judging by the dark spot on the left side. This one has the "English" straight grip on the stock, which I'm not crazy about, but hey, I got used to it on a number of 03 Springfields over the years. It was made in year 2001 and came in the original factory box. It was sold in a sporting goods store in Columbus, OH, and the 2001 price tag said $152.00. Since these weren't cataloged, I assume NEF offered these at discounted prices to their distributors.

P9190160.JPG

P9190164.JPG

Oh, back on topic, here is my new NEF single shot Tracker II 20 ga. Okay, this is an odd-ball. New England Firearms, which also made the Harrington & Richardson brand at the same time, would occasionally come out with "Limited Editions." Which were not shown in their annual catalog. Over the years they were offered, they came in a variety of configurations. My theory is, these were "limited editions" because they were made up from overstock parts that the factory had on hand and production was restricted to the amount of parts available that they wanted to clear out. They are sometimes seen with laminated stocks. The stock set on this one was drilled for sling swivels but those were obviously never installed because there are no threads down into the holes. The butt stock may have been a factory second, judging by the dark spot on the left side. This one has the "English" straight grip on the stock, which I'm not crazy about, but hey, I got used to it on a number of 03 Springfields over the years. It was made in year 2001 and came in the original factory box. It was sold in a sporting goods store in Columbus, OH, and the 2001 price tag said $152.00. Since these weren't cataloged, I assume NEF offered these at discounted prices to their distributors.

View attachment 1490787

View attachment 1490788
I would have grabbed that too.
Have you tried to swap barrels with a smooth tube?

Not really an impulse buy as it is a test fixture for my 357 Sig load development and test with the thought of adding it to my ammo line up. So I picked up a Sig 229 yesterday in 40 S&W and today I should be getting from Sig the correct 357 Sig drop in barrel. That will give me 4 barrels for the plunk test and 3 test fixtures for the shooting portion of the testing. Fun Stuff.

A Lyman Mini-Sharps in 38-55, didn't intend to buy it, wandering around online one night sipping a Tequila Old Fashion and saw the listing with a low (for what it is) opening bid and thought it would be fun to see my name as top bidder for just a while.

"A little while" ended up to be the whole auction :s0108:

Turned out to be one of the ones with the rear tang sight screw off center so I need to fit a Soule Creedmoor sight using different screw holes and a new front sight

Until now, I didn't know these conversions were "a thing" but a little poking around on the internet tells me different. There are entire websites about it.

I've got two Ford products 4x2, one has the 4R70W auto trans, the other has the 4R75W and both of those are pretty bulletproof. Before my mother died, she had an old Lincoln LS with the 5R55N which was a snake pit because the servo bores in those wore out prematurely. That 5R55 series was used in a bunch of other vehicles, including Explorer.
Yup, the conversions are still kind of the "in thing" for folks who like to get off the beaten track. The wife and 8 love camping, but hate established campgrounds. We like nothing more than loading up and heading 100+ miles down the worst dirt road you can find.

Ours has a 4r100 - supposedly the best of the series. Only 47k miles on the van, so we were hoping/expecting that it would last. Did great on the 7+ hr trip from Bend to Chelan, then died 2 miles from our camp site. Lost the pump and went from working great to zero engagement in less that 200 yards. Being so far out in the middle of no where, we're definitely getting um….taken advantage of…on getting a new transmission.

This past Monday, a Girsan MC9 w/Far Dot optic. Don't own a handgun with an optic and wasn't willing to have any that I do modified to accept one. This model has good reviews and considering it's coming with an optic mounted already along with 3 standard capacity mags, it was an economical buy.

RE : Waiting for "Governmental approval".

IMHO.....it's still an INFRIENGMENT.

And then, call out the Bruen dogs.
I predict that.....it won't pass the "tests" as put down in that decision.

Aloha, Mark

Have you tried to swap barrels with a smooth tube?
I have another NEF single shot in 20 ga., haven't yet tried to interchange the bbls. I'll get around to it. I will probably bid on a "parts set" on GB, I've gotten extra bbls. for my NEF Pardner Pumps that way. The gun breakers put them up every week on GB. Right now, I watching one that says it has a screw-in choke, which they made but not many.

I have another NEF single shot in 20 ga., haven't yet tried to interchange the bbls. I'll get around to it. I will probably bid on a "parts set" on GB, I've gotten extra bbls. for my NEF Pardner Pumps that way. The gun breakers put them up every week on GB. Right now, I watching one that says it has a screw-in choke, which they made but not many.
I believe the centerfire barrels need to be fitted. Shotgun may have variances from different eras.

🤣 This is what you call an "impulse buy".

A purchase I made then immediately forgot it ever existed until it arrived in the mail today.

A combat armory G19 threaded "match grade" barrel (rrrriiight....👌). I have no need for one and not much of an idea what the heck I would ever shtick it in... but... I remember why now!!

It was $22 and a guy has gotta wonder... "what does a $22 glock barrel look like"... Hu!???:s0140:

I believe the centerfire barrels need to be fitted. Shotgun may have variances from different eras.
I've bought some stray barrels and got lucky. Barrels that don't headspace right can be adjusted by careful work on the pivot point surface. I've read somewhere that the late (Remington) frames that start with C serial numbers are a bit longer than the NEF and Marlin-made frames but I don't know if it's true because I've never bought any.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top