JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
my first gun was a ancient remington 20 gauge single shot black tape wrapped around the wooden stock, shotgun,got it when i was 12 years old.shot alot of game with that gun ,,living out in the black sea desert in nevada,.( long time ago),,damn,, that just reminded me of how old i am..:s0053:

mossburg 7mm magnum got it for my 14th birthday my dad even let me keep it in my room something most would freak out about these days . different times back then . movies glorified the good guys not the bad guys most violent video game was space invaders no blood and you were saving the world, no rap music glorifing ganstas and drive bys. the rock bans sand about sex drugs and rock and roll not murder and killin.

to be honest i did not care much for it sat buried in the back of my closet i was more interrested in Girls and playing my electric twanger (aka electric guitar)

1876 Colt SAA. I was 6 and used it for everything from a hammer to a cap gun. (Non ammo) My parents would be jailed for the stuff they used to let us do nowadays.

A Remington M12 .22 pump. POS ... firing pin kept breaking.

A Marlin M57 pump .22. Very accurate.

A Remington single shot .22. Dad bought it for $3 from a drunk.

Still got 'em all.:)

My first was an Ithica 20ga single break action. I killed a LOT of ducks with that thing. A few years later I upgraded to the rem 870 express and now I dont kill as much :(
Maybe I need to go back to the single shot, It makes every shot count so I dont seem to miss much

There are a lot of stories about Dad's or families passing down or presenting a gift to a young man as a coming of age or right of passage. Then there are those that came from non-gun or even anti-gun families.

I place myself in the latter of the two. Single parent mom raising two boys in the 70's and 80's... no time or money for guns. I was the oldest and my mom and dad (mind you they were divorced) decided to get me this POS BB gun at the age of 12. That was my first gun but not my first gun. My first gun was a single shot Stevens 12 gauge that I got for Christmas in '87 from a girl (Tammy) that I was dating. She saved and worked her butt off for that money and I was too young to fully apperciate her gift. I eventually sold it to a friend of mine. I was a self absorbed butt back then.

My first gun that I bought was a Colt AR-15 SP1 in December of 1988 about 6 or 7 weeks before the Stockton CA shootings that started the whole "assault" weapon ban in '89. I bought it at a Salem, OR gunshow at the State fairgrounds when Norinco type 56 ak's were in barrels going for $99.00 each.

Could of, would of... should of....

SF-

Last edited by a moderator:
A Remington Nylon 66 .22 LR, -- it was a remarkable shade of green and was incredibly reliable. A 12th birthday present from my dad...

Talk about deja vu. That was my first firearm as well back in the 70's. Funny thing is... I can't remember what ever happened to it. Wish I still had it though bacause it was a great little shooter even if it was odd loading the rounds into the end of the stock. :D

I know, you may not believe it but I am not clear as to what happened to mine either. I think I took it to a Portland gun store and sole it there (?).

They are going for over $500 now, can't even find the green ones. It was kind of like having a .22 cal M-1 carbine, they were just great little rifles.

I wish Remingotn would bring 'em back.

I think shooters would be even more accepting of it now.

I envy you guys from shooting families. Mine wasn't, but I got my Marksmanship Merit Badge in Scouts, and one of the first things I did when I turned 21, after landing a decent paying job, was start buying guns. I do have my Dad's Stevens squirrel rifle and a Type 99 Arisaka he brought back.

I'm kind of hoping that it's still buried in my parents attic somewhere but I have a vague recollection of taking it to Phoenix with me in the mid-80's. Beyond that... I dunno... :(

my first was a 1940's winchester model 94 25-35. stil have and hunt with it. it came from a very close family friends colection when he passed away. i wish i would have gotten the story on it all i know is it was his as long as anyone can remember.

I have the first rifle and handgun that I ever shot, Grandpa's Marlin 81DL with the small tube Weaver 6x scope and his Ruger Standard 22 6". But, those are still Dad's, not mine!
The first one I bought was a New Model Blackhawk. 4 5/8" barrel .41 Mag. Sold it a few years later to a good friend who still has it. That gun started my love affair with the .41 Mag. and it didn't take me long to regret selling it. When I found an Old Model Blackhawk a few years later I snatched that up. It remains one of my most favorite guns.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top