JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
As most of you know, I recently bought a Sig Sauer 716 Patrol rifle- I will be able to pick up my new rifle this Saturday. It's the first factory-built semi-auto rifle I've purchased, and from what I've been reading and watching so far I've made a good choice. Unfortunately my 50 year-old eyes won't be able to get the most out of this rifle with iron sights alone. I honestly don't see myself going for 800 yd. shots, but with the .308 round I think I'd be able to go for 500-600 yd. targets. What scope would you put on this rifle and why? Any comments why a scope is a good/bad choice, or why I should use a red dot w/ a magnifier instead of a scope are welcome.

Geno
R716-16B-P-FDE-11.jpg

Personally I'd go with QD mounts with something in the 4.5 X 14 X 40 range. If you go up to 50 mm on the objective lens you'll have to raise the height of your scope. Leupold or Warne quick detach rings work great, I have several and they all go back to POI or close enough that the recipient of the bullet isn't going to notice the difference. Put a small red dot either on top of the scope or on a 45 degree angle mount and your good for close work. Nice weapon, have fun.

Not relevant to your question, I prefer iron sights over red dot.
I think if I were to buy another scope for any of my ARs, I'd get a fixed power. I have found, on most of my scopes, I typically settle on a magnification like 9x and rarely move from there.
On my DPMS LR308, I used a bunch of different scopes: NCStar, Sightron II, Leupold Mark IV, and currently run it with a red dot (cannot remember the brand). It's a "fun gun" so if I'm on paper at 300 yards (12x12 targets), I'm happy.
For a different rifle, I recently bought a Primary Arms 4-14x44 FFP scope, used from a member here, and I couldn't be more pleased with it. The clarity and repeatability are both excellent.
Primary Arms 4-14X44mm Riflescope - Mil-Dot

I would go with an option from Leopold's vx line if you don't need "tactical turrets" or an offering from vortex will also be affordable and high quality. Shouldnt need more than 9-12x magnification for that type of distance.

Primary Arms scopes do seem to offer more features for less money- who else out there has one on their rifle? How do you like them? I've been reading alot of positive comments on them.

Geno

Primary Arms scopes do seem to offer more features for less money- who else out there has one on their rifle? How do you like them? I've been reading alot of positive comments on them.

Geno

Putting a $200 scope on a $2,000 rifle really seems wrong to me. If you absolutely have to go with a low end cost scope, I would not recommend anything less expensive than one of the new Sightron S-Tac tactical scopes. I've owned 3 Sightron hunting scopes over the years, and they were all good quality scopes.

Sightron's new S-Tactical 2-10x32mm is a great option.

Sightron Riflescopes S-TAC Series S-TAC2-10x32HHR2

You can find it for as low as $350:

<broken link removed>

For long range shooting, the S-Tactical 3-16x42mm offers plenty of magnification:

Sightron Riflescopes S-TAC Series S-TAC3-16x42MOA

It can be found for only $430:

<broken link removed>

I shot my two famous flies at 100 yards at the Emerald Empire Gun Club range using a Sightron SII 4-16x42mm. If I can hit a real small fly at 100 yards clearly with a Sightron set at 16x, you should be able to make out targets clearly way down range.

FLYe1.jpg

Last Edited:
Vortex has some good offerings as well that won't break the bank. I'm going to run one on my latest AR build as soon as I get the upper.

I have a Vortex Viper 6-20x50 on my Bushmaster Varminter. Works very well out to 500 yards. Vortex has a lifetime, transferable, no questions asked warranty.

I'm in Phoenix, AR right now- I went over to Tombstone Tactical this morning. The staff there is very friendly and knowledgeable- one of the guys was showing me a Strike Eagle 1-6x24 mounted on a dummy AR-15. A very professional gun store- fully stocked too. ;)

Geno

Primary Arms has a version of the Strike Eagle with a better reticle for around $260. At the high end of your budget I'd suggest a Leupold VXr 3x9 Patrol. Nice and crisp for my 57 year old eyes with an illuminating mated dot in the center. Nice turrets and not too big or heavy.

I'm in Phoenix, AR right now- I went over to Tombstone Tactical this morning. The staff there is very friendly and knowledgeable- one of the guys was showing me a Strike Eagle 1-6x24 mounted on a dummy AR-15. A very professional gun store- fully stocked too. ;)

Geno
I have a Strike Eagle and absolutely love it. Have shot it regularly at 400 yds and it does great. Would like to stretch it out further in the future. You can't go wrong with Vortex!:D

Geno

If you go with a Vortex, the one to get is their Viper PST 2.5-10x32mm Front Focal Plane. It is a grade up from the Strike Eagle. Also has more magnification and a much better reticle for long range shooting, if you really are serious about doing that with the rifle.

Vortex Optics - Viper PST 2.5-10x32 FFP EBR-1<br />(MOA)

https://www.amazon.com/Vortex-Viper-PST-2-5-Riflescope/dp/B00CAUCFN8

I'm trying to keep it somewhat reasonable, around $400-500 max. I'm not an operator or competition shooter either, but it would be nice to put a scope on that would help me ring plates at 600 yds.

Geno

My rule of thumb for buying scopes has been usually to spend a MINIMUM of a third of the price of the rifle that I am putting it on. Often it has been closer to like 40% to 50% of the rifle's price.

How much did you pay for your SIG?

For a best value in the $400 to $500 range, and if you really want to shoot out to 600 yards, then either that Sightron S-Tac 3-16x42mm that I mentioned earlier, or a Nikon P-308 4-16x42mm with their 800 yard BDC reticle designed specifically for the 308 cartridge, would be great choices. Both have outstanding reticles for long range shooting.

The Nikon costs about $20 more than the Sightron, at $450. I've owned two of their Monarch 3 4-16x42mm scopes, and they both performed real well.

P-308 4-16x42SF Matte BDC 800 from Nikon

p-308_intro_image.png

Lance,
I paid $2k plus tax for my Sig 716. I do like the specs on the Nikon, and actually prefer the exposed turret adjustments too- thanks for the suggestion. Looks like we've found a winner.

Geno

Lance,
I paid $2k plus tax for my Sig 716. I do like the specs on the Nikon, and actually prefer the exposed turret adjustments too- thanks for the suggestion. Looks like we've found a winner.

Geno

Yes, this Nikon does have nice big exposed target type turrets. Makes adjustments very easy.

The Sightron's Turrets are pretty nice too. But they are much smaller, and not as easy to grab on to. Plus they come with caps that go over them.

So if you prefer that style of turret, then the Nikon is definitely the better choice for you, out of these two. In fact, that is about the only significant difference between these scopes, other than their different reticle designs. In all other respects: weight, size, and other specifications, they are about the same, and also sell for close to the same price.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads