JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hey man, I didn't explain too well, and I appreciate the response. I guess what I am saying is that people are crazy and escalate even the most inoffensive thing to crazy levels and I want to make sure I have something to defend myself. I am sure you have seen it. I live in inner SE Portland. Bicyclists, crazies with no license plates, and general breakdown of society etc. Cheers.
The point that we are making is that if you're prone to honking, you really shouldn't be carrying.

Hey man, I didn't explain too well, and I appreciate the response. I guess what I am saying is that people are crazy and escalate even the most inoffensive thing to crazy levels and I want to make sure I have something to defend myself. I am sure you have seen it. I live in inner SE Portland. Bicyclists, crazies with no license plates, and general breakdown of society etc. Cheers.
Hey man, maybe you're not understanding what experienced folks are trying to to tell you.

Carrying comes with responsibility, you may have to adjust how responsible you are.

Thinking that having a carry, in a safe in a car, is responsible way to interact? Because it sounds like you may want to escalate a situation is not responsible.

Think about it. Your carry is in a safe in a car. You are in a vehicle, which you can use to leave a situation. If you have the opportunity to access your firearm in your car safe, you also would likely have had the time to egress the situation.

If armed folks are coming at you while you are sitting in your car peaceably is an entirely different situation. One in which having a firearm in your vehicle safe is unlikely to be of benefit...Man.

To answer the why's... First of all, I go in to a lot of places where you can't bring a gun. Second, I am forgetful. keep my guns in a safe in the house so it is just another thing to remember to bring it - I am new to carrying. I also do not feel too threatened day to day but have a tendency to honk at bubblegums and lately the bubblegums have been also crazy.
Each person and their situation is different.
Your overthinking this... and in the wrong direction as your attempting to build new habits to work around a bad habit, forgetfulness. If your new then now is the time to train your new habits correctly...

>yes, put a small safe in the car for the prohibited places, not for storage.
>Practice repetitions to override the forgetfulness, if you cant remember to strap it on inside the house why would you remember it in the car. Maybe buy a small quick access safe for the house you could quickly grab the gun to wear without having to access the bigger safe?
>Eliminate honking at bubblegums, read up on deescalation tactics. If someone cuts you off and gives you the finger, suck it up because if you honk and it starts a fight and you need the gun it can be ...will be argued you escalated the situation. Buy Andrew Brancas book The Law of Self Defense before you actually carry.

It wasn't until late 60's before anyone that I knew ever locked a car, or house for that matter. The only key anyone ever carried was needed for the ignition after the 50's. Many just left it in the car or truck.
Growing up, even with little money, made those times beating the heck out of what's going on in todays world.
Its not that theft didn't happen but it was rare by todays comparison and if anyone was caught you didn't see them the next day doing it again.

If your plan is to keep a gun in a safe in your car at all times, and your stated purpose is to have it there in case you encounter some kind of threat, your plan needs some work. When you need a gun, you need it right away. Having to rely on a gun in a safe means you build in a delay to your response while retrieving the gun.

Where would you keep the safe? In the trunk? In your glove box? Center console? Under the seat ?In that time you would spend retrieving it you could get shot, the bad guy could close the distance to the point you have to stop going for the gun and start defending yourself barehanded, they might see you going for the gun and shoot first... the way I see it, reliance on a gun in the safe isn't actually solving the problem, and it's creating new problems - potential for theft, cumbersome process to bring the gun into the fight, etc.

Since you're pretty new to carrying, I would start with some training before anything else. Go take some concealed carry classes from a reputable instructor. I guarantee most instructors will agree it is infinitely better to have a gun on your person than to have to retrieve it from a safe. A safe in the car is a good idea, but should be used for temporary storage when you have to enter an area where you can't take your gun.

If you really want to test the theory, using dry fire you should time yourself drawing from holster and firing your first shot on target. Your time from draw to first shot should be under 1.5 seconds. Then time yourself getting your gun from a safe and firing, just with the safe sitting next to you. You're probably looking at 4 seconds or longer. Now time yourself with both you and the safe in your vehicle the way you would plan to keep it, and the threat either in front of to either side - try retrieving the weapon, aiming, and firing. You're probably looking at more than 6 seconds. That's a really long time when your life is on the line.

Don't take offense when people disagree with your ideas. The folks on this forum have a metric ton of experience, and don't want others to have to make the same mistakes we did when learning to carry. If the majority of folks say "you know, that's probably not a great plan", listen to them because they're saying it for a reason.

Final thought, I couldn't agree more with @solv3nt , @1775usmc , and @nammac - if you're the type that gets impatient, honks at folks, flips them the bird, etc, you better work on developing some patience and biting your tongue. You can carry your gun or you can carry your ego, but there is no good way to carry both.

I am one of those never leave home without kind of people. Those who don't think this necessary that's their choice. For you if you want to keep one with you at all times and think you may forget? Set the car keys with the gun.

If you want a gun in your car because you honk at people and deal with road rage then I'll be the first person to say that it may be wise to leave your gun at home.

If you're going to carry a gun (I understand you're new to this) you need to learn to check your emotions/ego/pride. Be humble. Don't get flustered. Don't honk. Don't be in a rush.

If a gun is your solution to rash decisions and outbursts than I would suggest not carrying.

Please don't take this as an insult. I'm not pointing a finger at you directly. After Covid people have forgot how to interact. Everyone is emotional. Everyone is angry. Everyone is in a hurry. It's a recipe for disaster. We see it in the news daily.

I understand the frustrations when it comes to other drivers (and those damn cyclists). Trust me I drive 8 hours a day. I get it. Laws aren't enforced, no LE traffic presence. Terrible drivers. But check the emotions. It pays off in the long run. My wife is notorious for honking, tailgating, flipping off etc. I've had to sit her down and lay out the real possibilities of what may happen when you do that to the wrong person. Even if you're in the right. And if she is driving when I'm in the car I hound her about it cause I'll be the one having to get in a potential gunfight simply cause she wanted the last say.

No emotions. Slow down. Relax. If no one is dying then it's all going to be ok.
I don't drive for a living but work in street maintenance and often have to drive heavy equipment ie dump trucks, backhoes or large tractors for mowing. If I reacted like I used to as a kid I'd been fired a while back.

Few of my buddies drive tractor trailers and boy the stories they can tell.

Like you say you really gotta learn to control those emotions because the level of driving has sunk to new lows and the willingness of some idiot to resort to violent outburst is at an all time high.

If someone is carrying a gun to retaliate in a road rage situation then their chance of using that gun raises exponentially. Bad voodoo all around.

"Bicyclists and crazies with no license plates" motivate you to carry? Carrying is for the last resort option when someone is trying to kill you. Annoying or erratic behavior, without some kind of threat, is not cause to draw on someone. I wonder if this is a troll post.

I've had two cabled lock boxes stolen out of my truck over the years. Pretty easy to cut the cable. They were empty when taken, as I only used it if I found myself somewhere I could bring in my carry. Definitely not for everyday storage, and it would be extremely hard to get a gun out in time if something suddenly got hinky.

So with all the crazies in Portland, I want to keep my inexpensive Taurus g3c in the car all times. I have a rav4 and not sure how to safely do that, and not even sure if that is legal? I have a small fingerprint activated safe with a cable that I was going to put under my seat? Thoughts? How do you keep your gun in the car and what are the laws abotu it (esp. in Oregon/Multnomah Co), The safe is this one:

I'm just curios if its legal to keep the gun inside the car especially unattended? I carry a Taurus GX4 totally out of sight as I prefer it. But I been firing the G3X and that gun is just getting better and better by itself. Its slides so beautifully, the trigger gotten so easier and just right for my taste. The travel is perfect! Before when I use to fire it was going a bit to the left due to lack of control and totally stiff going into a deep bump. Now it feels like a hand in glove. I am so incite (in a good way) to use the G3X as my carry gun and the only thing that's is stopping me is the size.

1703430989092.jpeg

I'm just curios if its legal to keep the gun inside the car especially unattended? I carry a Taurus GX4 totally out of sight as I prefer it. But I been firing the G3X and that gun is just getting better and better by itself. Its slides so beautifully, the trigger gotten so easier and just right for my taste. The travel is perfect! Before when I use to fire it was going a bit to the left due to lack of control and totally stiff going into a deep bump. Now it feels like a hand in glove. I am so incite (in a good way) to use the G3X as my carry gun and the only thing that's is stopping me is the size.

View attachment 1787936
Leaving the gun unattended in the vehicle may be legal, but is not a great idea. Way too easy for someone to steal it. Better to find a way to carry it on your person.

He's in Portland, he can find one in the bushes.
I remember growing up in Portland when they landscaped Union Blvd (now MLKJR BLVD), they removed the center divider that was a small strip with bushes, while removing the bushes they found a ton of pistols, I want to say it was around 20 guns in the few blocks where the bushes once were.

I remember growing up in Portland when they landscaped Union Blvd (now MLKJR BLVD), they removed the center divider that was a small strip with bushes, while removing the bushes they found a ton of pistols, I want to say it was around 20 guns in the few blocks where the bushes once were.
That would be great when they were running one of those stupid damn buy backs. Scout around in the bushes for some to go have them buy back :s0140:

To the OP, keeping a gun in your car is not a magic talisman to ward off those with evil intent. Only you can be a responsible gun owner. Words like range day, training , and minimum force should now be part of your vocabulary.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top