JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
In order to be helpful and not a complete a$$-wipe:

Yes, you can store an unattended a handgun in your vehicle in Oregon. It must be LOCKED (trigger lock, cable lock, or in a locked box) AND it must be OUT OF SIGHT. That's my read on the SB 554 when it passed.

[EDIT - I cut out a bunch of stuff from my original post that was unrelated to the OP's question about "storing" his pistol in his vehicle.]

Personally, I won't leave a handgun in my vehicle unless I'm going somewhere where I cannot carry it - like the Post Office. Then I will put it in my lock box, but only while I'm doing business. As soon as I'm back in the car, the gun goes back on my hip. Relying on a firearm as a defensive protection tool that is locked up in a lock box is not my idea of a good strategy. But, to each his own.

Cheers.

Last Edited:
To answer the why's... First of all, I go in to a lot of places where you can't bring a gun. Second, I am forgetful. keep my guns in a safe in the house so it is just another thing to remember to bring it - I am new to carrying. I also do not feel too threatened day to day but have a tendency to honk at bubblegums and lately the bubblegums have been also crazy.
Each person and their situation is different.

To answer the why's... First of all, I go in to a lot of places where you can't bring a gun. Second, I am forgetful. keep my guns in a safe in the house so it is just another thing to remember to bring it - I am new to carrying. I also do not feel too threatened day to day but have a tendency to honk at bubblegums and lately the bubblegums have been also crazy.
Since you're new to carrying... Step one, become the most amicable, level-headed SOB and do not honk unless you're looking for a road rage incident. You are infinitely more likely to get into a road rage confrontation that way.

Yes each persons situation is different but that doesnt change the fact that keeping a gun in the car is a bad idea. Keep the gun on body and if you cant bring it into a place/dont want to risk a case probably better to leave it at home. If youre concerned about the crazies in traffic adjust your habits to be as non provoking as possible.

It would be better to get a waterproof case and pull back a panel somewhere on the interior and store it there.

As time goes on you can train yourself to remember the gun. When I am going to work I keep my wallet sitting with my keys because too many times I would drive off and somewhere along the way remember I had no wallet. So one way would be keep the car keys with the gun you want to bring?? A lot of course depends on where you are living and parking. Also keeping nothing in plain sight to attract the scum. Main thing is if your gun is stolen don't wait to report it. Better to maybe get an earful from them when reporting it than have it turn up at a crime before you told them it was gone.

As time goes on you can train yourself to remember the gun. When I am going to work I keep my wallet sitting with my keys because too many times I would drive off and somewhere along the way remember I had no wallet. So one way would be keep the car keys with the gun you want to bring?? A lot of course depends on where you are living and parking. Also keeping nothing in plain sight to attract the scum. Main thing is if your gun is stolen don't wait to report it. Better to maybe get an earful from them when reporting it than have it turn up at a crime before you told them it was gone.
Oregon law requires that you report it within (3 days?).

Suspect many jurisdictions now have some kind of law along this line. They got tired of too many stolen guns ending up at a crime that had never been reported.
Oregon passed it a few years ago if I recall. I don't remember the specifics on time, but I think it's three days; trust but verify.

If you want a gun in your car because you honk at people and deal with road rage then I'll be the first person to say that it may be wise to leave your gun at home.

If you're going to carry a gun (I understand you're new to this) you need to learn to check your emotions/ego/pride. Be humble. Don't get flustered. Don't honk. Don't be in a rush.

If a gun is your solution to rash decisions and outbursts than I would suggest not carrying.

Please don't take this as an insult. I'm not pointing a finger at you directly. After Covid people have forgot how to interact. Everyone is emotional. Everyone is angry. Everyone is in a hurry. It's a recipe for disaster. We see it in the news daily.

I understand the frustrations when it comes to other drivers (and those damn cyclists). Trust me I drive 8 hours a day. I get it. Laws aren't enforced, no LE traffic presence. Terrible drivers. But check the emotions. It pays off in the long run. My wife is notorious for honking, tailgating, flipping off etc. I've had to sit her down and lay out the real possibilities of what may happen when you do that to the wrong person. Even if you're in the right. And if she is driving when I'm in the car I hound her about it cause I'll be the one having to get in a potential gunfight simply cause she wanted the last say.

No emotions. Slow down. Relax. If no one is dying then it's all going to be ok.

If you want a gun in your car because you honk at people and deal with road rage then I'll be the first person to say that it may be wise to leave your gun at home.

If you're going to carry a gun (I understand you're new to this) you need to learn to check your emotions/ego/pride. Be humble. Don't get flustered. Don't honk. Don't be in a rush.

If a gun is your solution to rash decisions and outbursts than I would suggest not carrying.

Please don't take this as an insult. I'm not pointing a finger at you directly. After Covid people have forgot how to interact. Everyone is emotional. Everyone is angry. Everyone is in a hurry. It's a recipe for disaster. We see it in the news daily.

I understand the frustrations when it comes to other drivers (and those damn cyclists). Trust me I drive 8 hours a day. I get it. Laws aren't enforced, no LE traffic presence. Terrible drivers. But check the emotions. It pays off in the long run. My wife is notorious for honking, tailgating, flipping off etc. I've had to sit her down and lay out the real possibilities of what may happen when you do that to the wrong person. Even if you're in the right. And if she is driving when I'm in the car I hound her about it cause I'll be the one having to get in a potential gunfight simply cause she wanted the last say.

As the wise man said "An armed society is a polite society". :D

Since you're new to carrying... Step one, become the most amicable, level-headed SOB and do not honk unless you're looking for a road rage incident. You are infinitely more likely to get into a road rage confrontation that way.
^^^. This right here is first and foremost. Humble, walk away, stop honking, not to be a doormat, but don't be a catalyst either.

I say forget the safe. It Doesn't make any sense at all to have it in the safe. If it gets stolen, so be it. I trust you have other firearms.

Invest in cameras for your vehicle and understand that it's more likely for your vehicle to get robbed than it is for you to need to pull a firearm in defense; that being said I've needed to pull a firearm 3 times and I've never had a vehicle robbed, so I am willing to roll the dice

Hey man, I didn't explain too well, and I appreciate the response. I guess what I am saying is that people are crazy and escalate even the most inoffensive thing to crazy levels and I want to make sure I have something to defend myself. I am sure you have seen it. I live in inner SE Portland. Bicyclists, crazies with no license plates, and general breakdown of society etc. Cheers.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews