JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
We finally paid our house off this last year and all we have for payments is the wife's car, everything else is free & clear.... :)
I just pulled 75% of my 2025 target date stocks and place them in a money market account. It's disheartening to see $22,000 disappeared a matter of weeks.
It will turn around but it might take a bit. Having house paid for is huge, to bad property taxes are so darn high.

We finally paid our house off this last year and all we have for payments is the wife's car, everything else is free & clear.... :)
I just pulled 75% of my 2025 target date stocks and place them in a money market account. It's disheartening to see $22,000 disappeared a matter of weeks.
You are supposed to sell high...... just saying
I seem to get it backwards a lot too.

I bought another share of SPY today at $251.50. Once again I should have waited until later in the day. I have enough cash to purchase one more share and if I add a little cash to my acct maybe two more shares. My guess is the market won't trend back upwards until it gets a grip on how widespread this virus is going to be. Will it continue through summer or start to decline in a month or two? Our virus testing sucks, hopefully private labs will pick up the slack so we can get a handle on how many cases we are actually dealing with. :mad:

One share? And enough cash to buy one more share? Its $250 stock....this isn't going to do much for you at 1-2 shares.

Sitting on the sidelines waiting for the sales. It was certainly really painful to be super stupid these days, such as constantly repeating "flu stats" and not realizing this isn't "the flu" as has been stupidly repeated for a critical couple months. I tried warning people, but folks thinking the are smarter refused to listen. Oh well.

I got into cash, avoided massive losses. Markets now down some 30-35%. We'll see a bottom soon. Not likely there yet. This is a 9/11/01 type event so hold on. Lots of dead, lots of travel ban issues, lots of market supply chains damaged. This is NOT in the rearview mirror, it's still up ahead on the horizon. Wait until the dust settles in the coming weeks or months and then get back in.

Buy anytime people are panic selling. If it tanks your fiat dollars are worthless anyway. If it recovers you made a ton. Always do the opposite of the masses.

I am keeping an eye on it. Tempted to jump back in now, but I am thinking I would be leaving some money on the table if I did. I think the market and populace has a couple more weeks of panic left in it before people get bored and tired of panic and say "ho hum". The fact that the gov is handling it poorly and creating more panic only prolongs it - they keep doing things to little too late and the cases and deaths keep rising.

It may be morbid (it is actually), but the death rate will peak and the market will bottom out at about the same time, and that is when I will jump back in if I time it right. Right now I am only down to where I was a year ago so I am okay. In 6 months to a year, this will have all subsided and the market will be back to where it was before this hit - so at the very least, those of us who didn't panic sell will be fine. I just don't want to lose a year of earning potential right now when I am getting ready to retire (and maybe lose my job at the same time - before I quit) - so I am wanting to get those earnings for this year and last. I've had a few flat years where it was so volatile I didn't make up for it until the next year.

I am glad I went into bonds last December.

The stock market was long overdue for a readjustment. It was over inflated, and a ticking time bomb. Most investment advisers have been predicting something like this would happen, the market just needed something big to happen so they'd have that trigger to start it. The Arabs dumping oil on the market didn't do enough, so they jumped all over the corona virus thing.
Those who have the time to ride it out will be fine. Those who buy soon before it begins to climb back will do great. Those who panic will regret it.

My wife got very nervous about 10yrs ago, during the Obama era, and pulled her Mutual Fund based IRA and put it into a flexible annuity IRA which neither of us understood well. She didn't lose any money, but it was a dog of a performer and she really wasn't seeing any income from it either...so why own it? We eventually got her out of that and back into some Edward Jones based funds. Now the problem is endless mailings from Ed Jones... sheesh, we gotta get those people to put us on paperless, my file drawers are full!!!

Getting into a dog that doesn't lose, but makes a little interest isn't a bad thing if you've reached retirement age. But it's the wrong place to go if you aren't within 5 years of retirement. Guaranteed interest IRA's are a good way to secure the investment gains you've gotten over a lifetime of investing. Last thin you want to do is reach a point where you retired and begin tapping your investments, and have something happen like we have today.

You are supposed to sell high...... just saying
I seem to get it backwards a lot too.

Read my last sentence again please. I don't want to lose any more money because I'm ready to retire. And who knows how much more it's going to lose? Do you
The last time we took a hit on our 401(k)s I believe it was 2008 and I lost $40,000 and I have just now gotten back to where I was.

Getting into a dog that doesn't lose, but makes a little interest isn't a bad thing if you've reached retirement age. But it's the wrong place to go if you aren't within 5 years of retirement. Guaranteed interest IRA's are a good way to secure the investment gains you've gotten over a lifetime of investing. Last thin you want to do is reach a point where you retired and begin tapping your investments, and have something happen like we have today.

That's good advice for many investors.

We are in a bit of an unusual situation. We are both already retired. She for 20yrs, me for 10yrs. She is at the age that she is required to take distributions. However, since our monthly expenses are at a minimum, we don't need current income and she had been reinvesting the distributions in standard earning investments. We are holding the rest of our IRAs for when one of us passes and the other will then need $$.

The problem with the annuity is that it had a really low earning. I don't remember what level, but she wound up not being happy with it. No biggie, we were able to switch out of it, unlike most annuities.

Not time to jump in yet .
The first phase is 'fear' , and that's not over yet .
Later will come the actual economic impact , which will have major negative consequences .
Keep your powder dry , don't fire until ......

George

Coronavirus numbers are reducing in China... that means supply chain will normalize. When will people normalize here???

Says who? China?:D

There's a big risk of allowing quarantined people with the virus back out into the public and that risk is a 2nd wave spike. The 1918 flu had a small spike, a lull, and then a big spike (corresponding with probably climate/weather). The 2nd wave was about twice as bad.

Now with all the money on the line, and the pressure from American companies like Apple, China will possibly risk it. Or just make quarantine dorms at factories so people are locked down at the factories making products. So it is quite possible and even likely we see a "return to business" in the near term...

Crushed it today shorting the TVIX! Could of gotten in with the premarket but was super worried general market was gonna poop the bed. Was able to get 82 short shares @ 400 and rode it down to 349.98. Looking at some UWT but not sure if I want to have it sit over the weekend.

Glenn Beck runs the numbers report daily. Not sure where he gets his info. Where you get yours???

Up until about 3 days ago, Glenn Beck (who I generally agree with) was among all the talking heads telling us flu stats and this is not a big deal, just wash your hands. Pardon me if I stop listening to people who TOTALLY GOT THIS WRONG.

Yes, we all have opinions. I stop listening to people who blew this... even Trump (who I support and will vote for) sorta fumbled the ball on this. I'll still vote for him, but it's disappointing how obvious this was to anyone paying attention and so many got it wrong. When China picked "lock down" over their economy, big warning flags went up. Given their evil, Communist, dishonesty, I don't trust them AT ALL. Their numbers: Garbage in = Garbage out. A fact that Beck still doesn't get.

Where do I get my numbers? Common sense and listening to leaked reports from within China, and reviewing various evidence from within. I tried to supply it, but the truth got me barred from the other conversation, my posts deleted, and I was called a paranoid conspiracy theorist for trying to warn people this was coming and the markets were going to crash weeks ago. In summary, lots of evidence of mass dying in China with estimates of under-reporting by between 10 to 52 times real numbers of infected and dead.

Up until about 3 days ago, Glenn Beck (who I generally agree with) was among all the talking heads telling us flu stats and this is not a big deal, just wash your hands. Pardon me if I stop listening to people who TOTALLY GOT THIS WRONG.

I've been watching him every day and I couldn't disagree more about him saying it's no big deal. Did you actually watch his broadcasts???

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top