JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Once upon a time a customer offered $220 for an item that was listed at $260. The company acquired the item for $20. The employee encouraged the company owner to accept the $220 offer but the owner told the employee to counter with $230. The potential buyer walked. The owner was furious with the employee for letting the customer walk. The employee thought the owner was being greedy for not taking the 1000% markup over cost.

My advice is that some employees don't have it in their DNA to extract every dollar they can from every customer that comes through the door. That doesn't mean they can not be a valuable asset to the company. Relationships matter with customers. Dollars count too but sometimes letting the customer have a win is worthwhile to establish and or maintain customer relationships.
"acquired the item for $20" is a red herring.. actual operating costs must be accounted for and to me, the employee jacking goods is despicable and will likely soon result in the destruction of that business and thereby perhaps, all of society.
so no

That sign of make an offer....was not mentioned in the OP.
Which changes everything in regards to price.
However....just 'cause an offer is made...there is nothing to say that it will or needs to be accepted.

In any event...my question remains...
Why do some folks feel like it is okay to haggle at one retail store , but not a different store....?*
To be clear here.....NO signs posted saying make offers....
Andy
Edit to add....

*Many folks go into a gun shop...and make offers on new or used items...
But don't do that when then go to , say Fred Meyer and buy things.....
I would have to "guess" that the pawn shop and the place selling used, buyers guess that they paid a lot less than the ticket and may be willing to bargain? Wife did this with two motorcycles we bought last winter. Perfect time to bike shop as when we would go in the place there were more employee's than customers. Little bit ago we went to buy a new (to us) car and she did the same thing.

+1. That's the owners fault for either not empowering the employee to use his judgement or for not giving him specific instructions of what he would accept.
I agree with you and @Flopsweat 110%

If I was the owner in the above scenario, I would have taken the $220. If I was the owner and felt like I needed to try and squeeze every last cent possible out of my customers, I would have instructed the employee to try and get $230 but take the $220 if it looks like the customer is going to walk.

You are the dream customer to places like that. I have no doubt many will walk into places and if they see something they like at a price they like, just buy it. People selling have to LOVE those customers.
They will treat you really nice though, and if they're smart, they'll call you every time there's a sale or they have something in that you might like.

They will treat you really nice though, and if they're smart, they'll call you every time there's a sale or they have something in that you might like.
This is true in my experience...
I have been called / and or notified about something that is in my interest range...and gotten many a good gun deal from a few stores by not haggling or nit picking a price or firearm's condition.
Andy

If I am in a position of helping a customer, I want them to understand that I am looking out for them as well as the company. I want to help them get the best price for the item or service they are buying. This will help create a better relationship with the customer and hopefully result in repeat business and referrals from them.

It's possible the business owner would rather have a shark who will get as much flesh as possible from each customer with little concern as to whether the customer leaves happy or not. To be fair to the employer an employee should not misrepresent how they intend serve the customers.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads