JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Until.... when?

Well , " until you see the whites of their eyes " of course .

Each person has a different risk tolerance level , so I can't/won't give you any specific # to buy at .

What I can say is that ignoring yesterday's bounce back , the market will be lower next Friday than when it opens on Monday . The U S is in the infancy of this debacle . It will get worse and the market WILL continue to decline .

I'm holding back for now still . As I mentioned before , a ladder buying strategy may not maximise your profits , but no one can predict the "bottom" .

Fun times . If I can't watch or attend sports events , at least I can shake my head at the panic and the never ending posturing of the politicians .

Best to all .

George

I never take medical advice from my investment counselor, nor do I take financial advice from my doctor. So if Glen Beck starts babbling on about the corona virus, or any health concerns it's not something that holds any weight with me.

That's good advice for many investors.

We are in a bit of an unusual situation. We are both already retired. She for 20yrs, me for 10yrs. She is at the age that she is required to take distributions. However, since our monthly expenses are at a minimum, we don't need current income and she had been reinvesting the distributions in standard earning investments. We are holding the rest of our IRAs for when one of us passes and the other will then need $$.

The problem with the annuity is that it had a really low earning. I don't remember what level, but she wound up not being happy with it. No biggie, we were able to switch out of it, unlike most annuities.

It sounds like you're in a good place, and might be the exception to pulling out of the market like others who are retired. We did the same thing as far as investing for retirement, but I have a good retirement, so we don't touch those monies now. Next year I have to start taking the minimum withdrawals required by law, so we'll have to then. Our fixed interest investment has a 10% limit we can take each year without penalty, and it only makes 3.5%. It's maturing next January, so we'll have to consider our options at that time, and decide where it might go then? Maybe we'll invest in pharmaceuticals if this craziness is still going on then? ;)

I never take medical advice from my investment counselor, nor do I take financial advice from my doctor. So if Glen Beck starts babbling on about the corona virus, or any health concerns it's not something that holds any weight with me.

Glenn Beck is reporting. And doing some commenting. He's reported extensively on Coronavirus, not sure if he's commented or given financial advice. That wouldn't hit my radar since I'm buy and hold and have no intention of selling any holdings.

His opinion/commentary is worth no more than any other reporter, except Don Lemon, Rachel Madcow, Chris Matthews, Chris Wallazz, Lyin Brian, Brit Hume, Shep Smith, Jake Trapper, Tom Brokejaw, Matt Lauer, et al. But he seems to be honest and he actually researches and has the paperwork to back it up, unlike today's trend of "unnamed sources" with no corroboration. That's important to me.

I like Glenn Beck too, but he's not my doctor or financial adviser, so I listen to him for entertainment, not advice in these two areas. When it comes to conservative politics in the news, I like his opinions and take them into consideration.

Man who owns no rentals tells those who have many to have a plan for what happens when renters refuse to pay. It's like someone who has never climbed Everest telling people who have climbed Everest multiple times considerations for their climb lol.

Tenant screening is key to having quality tenants. Credit score, education and income are tell tale signs. Twelve years with multiple rentals, always got my money. I require first/last and security deposit. It takes a month to do a judicial eviction so the money collected up front protects you. I'm a strong personality and not easily intimidated. The three I've had issues with left immediately. The more doors you have the less risk there is. My reserves are honestly excessively high.

Also, not all of us work normal jobs. I have advanced degrees and a high income job, I pay almost six figures in income tax a year. I can pay the mortgages on all my houses by myself even if they sit empty...

Note, that I started my post using the words, "IMHO." Then, I also said....."Real estate investing is fine for some."

Yup....I don't own a rental. I've stated that, for an obvious reason.

So, that all being said....there is a whole range of people (with different experiences) on this forum. I'd be willing to bet that your personal triumphs (in real estate investing) can also be countered by others who have had/or may have had, a less than happy experience with rentals.

Anyway.....
As for your bragging about your rich GF (post #70), advanced degrees and wealth. Then, post #124. Ok....whatever dude. "Good For You," that you got what you got.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
Rentals are not for me - not renting other's residences, or renting out residences I own.

BTDT on both - kind of. Had to deal with the aftermath of renters who left behind damaged houses that my grandfather owned - cost way more than a year's worth of rent.

Land maybe - to farmers; my next property will probably be farm land that I will build and live on. Looked at some acreage that is currently farmed. My family has leased out our farm land - easier to manage, especially if you live on it and control what crops are raised on it. Buildings? No. Not for me. YMMV.

Wall Street is gonnqa drop like a lead balloon come Monday !

Federal Reserve slashes rates to zero

Ohio governor Mike DeWine announced Sunday he has ordered all bars and restaurants in the state to shut down service beginning at 9 p.m. this evening.

Illinois governor J.B. Pritzker ordered bars and restaurants in the state to close from March 16 to March 30.

In California, Gov. Gavin Newsom ordered all bars, wineries, brew pubs and nightclubs to close, and asked that those over 65 self-isolate.

In Massachusetts, Gov. Charlie Baker ordered all bars and restaurants close starting Tuesday, March 17, and remain closed for a month.

Keep your powder dry boys .............

Ya know those idiots standing up there ringing the bell at the end of the trading session ....... how do they smile in the face of disaster ??

George

Ohio governor Mike DeWine announced Sunday he has ordered all bars and restaurants in the state to shut down service beginning at 9 p.m. this evening.

Illinois governor J.B. Pritzker ordered bars and restaurants in the state to close from March 16 to March 30.

In California, Gov. Gavin Newsom ordered all bars, wineries, brew pubs and nightclubs to close, and asked that those over 65 self-isolate.

In Massachusetts, Gov. Charlie Baker ordered all bars and restaurants close starting Tuesday, March 17, and remain closed for a month.

Ya know those idiots standing up there ringing the bell at the end of the trading session ....... how do they smile in the face of disaster ??

George
I bet another circuit breaker will pop....

@USMC1911 you think is TVIX going up again?

I bet another circuit breaker will pop....

@USMC1911 you think is TVIX going up again?

I would not be surprised if a couple of breakers popped and fairly quickly. I had a multi million dollar a year construction business in 2007, and by 2009 it was down to 100K. The actions above about the various bars and all closing are a huge factor.

A large part of my business was dependent upon tax funded work at schools, parks and when they stopped spending in 2008 the business ultimately had to be closed and liquidated. Those were tough times and painful mentally, but I feel we are at that point right now in this situation. My former partners in the consulting business and I are all having a Skype meeting in the morning to discuss this, and plan strategy for the future, as we now all work with companies individually. Cash is king and a business that planned well and managed well could shut down for 2 months and survive. If you have 90 days or more of cash for expenses you can survive. If not, well then you need to plan hard and fast.

S&P Futures have already hit the down limits at -5%. Monday the market will tank. And the economic ramifications of all this have yet to really kick in. Treasury Secretary Mnuchin sez "no worries, no recession". What planet is this guy living on.

George
Futures were 9% down, according to cnbc. Expect the breaker to be hit on opening today, maybe twice, hopefully not a third time:(

Last Edited:
Would not surprise me at all. Better to shut down all international travel than domestic. Shutting down interstate domestic movement will be a SHTF in about 48 hours or less.
It would not surprise me either since other countries have already taken similar actions. Supposedly military personnel are going to be facing travel restrictions beginning Saturday, but I don't have any confirmation or a source for that.

Here is something that might be relevant regarding DOD travel restrictions: DoD imposes near-total domestic travel ban for its personnel | Federal News Network

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top