JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Once upon a time a customer offered $220 for an item that was listed at $260. The company acquired the item for $20. The employee encouraged the company owner to accept the $220 offer but the owner told the employee to counter with $230. The potential buyer walked. The owner was furious with the employee for letting the customer walk. The employee thought the owner was being greedy for not taking the 1000% markup over cost.

My advice is that some employees don't have it in their DNA to extract every dollar they can from every customer that comes through the door. That doesn't mean they can not be a valuable asset to the company. Relationships matter with customers. Dollars count too but sometimes letting the customer have a win is worthwhile to establish and or maintain customer relationships.

Sounds like he did what the owner told him to do. If the instructions had been to counter with $230 but take $220 if necessary, the outcome might have been different.
+1. That's the owners fault for either not empowering the employee to use his judgement or for not giving him specific instructions of what he would accept.

I have worked in a pawn shop a long while ago....
I never understood the notion of haggling or offering a price at some retail stores but not others.

Why do some folks feel like they can haggle at a pawn shop or second hand store...but not at a grocery store or the like ?
And it don't matter if the pawn shop bought the item for $20...what matters is what the price of it now is.

Speaking only for myself here...
The price is whatever it is....I can get it or not.
Andy

I have worked in a pawn shop a long while ago....
I never understood the notion of haggling or offering a price at some retail stores but not others.

Why do some folks feel like they can haggle at a pawn shop or second hand store...but not at a grocery store or the like ?
And it don't matter if the pawn shop bought the item for $20...what matters is what the price of it now is.

Speaking only for myself here...
The price is whatever it is....I can get it or not.
Andy
One reason might be because the store has signs up that say "If you don't like a price, make an offer." That would make some people think negotiating is welcome at that store.

One reason might be because the store has signs up that say "If you don't like a price, make an offer." That would make some people think negotiating is welcome at that store.
That sign of make an offer....was not mentioned in the OP.
Which changes everything in regards to price.
However....just 'cause an offer is made...there is nothing to say that it will or needs to be accepted.

In any event...my question remains...
Why do some folks feel like it is okay to haggle at one retail store , but not a different store....?*
To be clear here.....NO signs posted saying make offers....
Andy
Edit to add....

*Many folks go into a gun shop...and make offers on new or used items...
But don't do that when then go to , say Fred Meyer and buy things.....

Last Edited:
Another reason might be that there are durably-formed expectations about the times and places haggling is acceptable. We call that "culture,"

However....just 'cause an offer is made...there is nothing to say that it will or needs to be accepted.

Why do some folks feel like it is okay to haggle at one retail store , but not a different store....?
Andy
It would make the employees job a lot easier if the signs said all prices firm, no offers excepted. It would increase the dusting needed for the stagnant inventory but at least they wouldn't have to get involved in negotiations.

It would make the employees job a lot easier if the signs said all prices firm, no offers excepted. It would increase the dusting needed for the stagnant inventory but at least they wouldn't have to get involved in negotiations.
Maybe...
Having worked retail..I can say that in my experience the old saying :
"The customer is always right"....often turns out to be :
"The customer is never satisfied."
Andy

As an employee, I do what the boss says. Sometimes I will ask for clarification/confirmation via text/email so I have the instructions in writing. I don't always agree with what they say, however; they are the boss and they sign the front of my paycheck.

Why do some folks feel like it is okay to haggle at one retail store , but not a different store....?*
Andy
Edit to add....

*Many folks go into a gun shop...and make offers on new or used items...
But don't do that when then go to , say Fred Meyer and buy things.....
I would not consider Pawn Retail nor this site classifieds. Its used, hence value is negotiable. Freddys is retail set price.. Also, Do you pay sticker price on a New Car? no haggle just take what the sign says? I think not. I would always ask for a lower price @ pawn or classified? They either say yeah or no. And i either buy it or walk, hurt no one @ that point.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top