JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Everyone can manage their own investments, and do trades on sites like E Trade, but most people shouldn't unless they've got the time and dedication to get up every morning at 5:30 a.m. and check their investments, and learn how to look at trends and determine when to buy or sell.
So if one isn't willing to really devote a lot of time and money into handling their own investment future, it's best left to an adviser.

Everyone can manage their own investments, and do trades on sites like E Trade, but most people shouldn't unless they've got the time and dedication to get up every morning at 5:30 a.m. and check their investments, and learn how to look at trends and determine when to buy or sell.
So if one isn't willing to really devote a lot of time and money into handling their own investment future, it's best left to an adviser.

If you are in it for the long haul it really takes relatively little time .

I am a dividend investor and like Buffet - I buy . Seldom sell .

It takes a good amount of time to make the proper initial selections and then it's mostly auto-pilot . I do review my stocks ( I have 35 positions presently ) almost every day . But that's mostly due to my OCD ! That's 5 minutes a day at 8:30 before the market opens , thus 150 minutes a month . Perhaps another hour or so a month thinking about and researching sell/buys and executing that if necessary . So 4 hrs a month total ?

I don't need an adviser . But many people don't want to do the grunt work to know how to select the proper stocks for their investment style ( risk level ) . Both my brother and sister have professional advisers and seem happy with them . As Clint says " Man's gotta know his limitations " .

I out-perform both of their portfolios . I do subscribe to one dividend stocks analysis research firm which makes my life much easier . $399 a year and worth every penny .

George

It takes a good amount of time to make the proper initial selections and then it's mostly auto-pilot.

I out-perform both of their portfolios . I do subscribe to one dividend stocks analysis research firm which makes my life much easier . $399 a year and worth every penny .

George

Fully agree with the first part. Long haul investing is very simple and easy if your willing to do some research. Look into large blue chips with proven records and useful products that are always needed or trends in products that are obvious.

As for paying into an investment analysis group or such. Best money I have and continue to spend as a part time day trader over the last few years is into a real time chat group that has really helped me read charts and buy/sell points. Dude who runs it is absolutely amazing at charts. He is super expensive ($3000 a year) and limits how many people that subscribe. Best money I have ever spent and really helped me understand different charting and algorithms patterns snd how to use them.

George

Exactly. It's the people who want to take the direction of becoming day traders for their investments that will require long term daily time requirements. Those are the crowd I was speaking of, not people who plan to stay with a stock, or the stock market in general for a long time.
Doing it as a day trader personally can be done and has been done successfully though. But again, it takes daily checks, and the commitment to doing so. I have a good friend who made the decision to do so a couple decades ago. He spent 1-2 hrs. every morning looking at the market. He bought stocks, and at the end of each week he evaluated how they were doing. His plan was to never spend more than $5k on a particular stock, and never keep it more than a week, and sell it earlier if it dropped below a certain setpoint he chose. I asked him why he sold stocks that were doing well, and he said it simply fit the plan. Often he bought the same stock again on Monday, and sold it at the end of the next week again. He's done this for many years now, and has been very successful in making about $45k a year with his plan. But even he said it's a lot of personal time invested.
Too much time for me to devote to investment, so I let others do it for me, and stayed through all the ups and downs until I got out 15 years ago just before retiring.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top