JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My holy grail would be a WWII Colt 1911. Nice condition, but not so nice you wouldn't want to shoot it.
I've had Remington-Rands and an Ithaca. But the Colt has always eluded me.

George S. Patton's pistols, the colt revolvers

Patton carried a S&W .357 3.5" bbl on his right hip before and during WWII. On the left was his was a 5.5" Colt SAA. He called the S&W his "killing gun." The guns are in the Armor Museum at Ft. Knox.

The S&W looked a bit like this:

IMGP5507.PEF.jpg

Patton carried a S&W .357 3.5" bbl on his right hip before and during WWII. On the left was his was a 5.5" Colt SAA. He called the S&W his "killing gun." The guns are in the Armor Museum at Ft. Knox.

The S&W looked a bit like this:

IMGP5507.PEF.jpg

from what I understood he had 2 colts, but gave one away to a performer who deeply impressed him by coming to entertain the troops.

Make the stock the A3.
Add the suppressor (TiRant 9mm)
Add the claw for the Scope mount
Add the optic (Zeiss Red-Dot)
1,3,Many switch
Full Auto capable

hk_mp5a2_zpsf9f24d95.jpg

The .44 Automag is the nicest pistol I've ever owned. Accurate and powerful enough to topple Rams at 200 Meters or put Elk in the freezer, but unlike revolvers, slim enough to carry! Almost any good 1911 will beat the pants off of most other guns. Paras are the best for the money at what they do. The P-14 Ltd has many "custom" features, but at a fraction of the price! Any of my three will group under 1.5" at 50 yards with the right, or custom ammo. And the Barlow Custom will do better than that with .45 Super.
I note a preference for some old guns around here. To that end, I recommend the Schwarzlose Standart Model 1898! It is easily the very best of the early automatic pistols. Although with a weight of under 28 Oz and a MV of 1350 FPS with a 86 grain bullet, IIRC, the recoil is quite stiff, but not objectionable. It is very accurate and flat shooting.
Older guns get very flaky after you go back past the Colt SAA, which was easily the best of all the pre-1900 revolvers. Plus, it had almost as much power than the .45 Mars automatic! 255 grains of pure lead at 1050 FPS from 40 grains of Black Powder in the original load, before the Army had them cut it back to 28 grains to reduce recoil for the average troops. And much more in a well built modern gun with smokeless powder. See the remark above about the Smith 25-5.
Finally, I want to posit the Remington XP-100 with the 14" BBL, or any of the custom chambering's with 15" or longer BBLs. For many years it was far and away, the most accurate factory production gun on the planet! Before I had my .221 Fireball re-barreled to .308 Winchester, it would regularly put two out of three into a quarter for $100 at 100 yards or meters depending on the country I was stationed in at the time. And that with a Leopold M8-2x pistol scope. More later on the rest of the guns in my safe, if you want.

I think guys are still missing the point... a "holy grail" isn't something you can just buy with money- it's something of legend, that's unobtainable or extremely difficult to obtain.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top