JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a fair amount of guns and shoot a lot, so looking back over my shooting history and contemplating what one gun seems to always go with and get shot no matter what else I've got going on. Here are some random thoughts on the distillation of my thoughts process.
I really like my CZ Shadow II but man is it hungry for ammo, I find I leave it home to save on 9mm
My M&P 40 Shield is my concealed carry gun so is always with me but doesn't get shot that much.
Ruger Blackhawks, I've got a bunch of them and that's the first gun I bought on my own a long time ago. But now days they don't get out much but I will say the 357 gets shot more than the others.
I've got other guns that get shot a bit but are mostly test fixtures for my ammo business. But the one gun that just seems to be always in the gun bag regardless of whatever else in in there is a 1911 in 45 acp. I don't know why exactly but it's comforting like an old friend. It's not the fastest or the latest and greatest or even the most accurate but for some reason it's always in the range bag.
So, what's your most fun gun/caliber? The one you enjoy and shoot the most.

Recently I always bring a P80 in 9 with a Dagger upper and budget NIB parts kit. One of the cheaper to shoot I have, actually pretty comfortable and accurate with it…. Plus I'm trying to put a high rnd count through it to maybe induce a failure.

Still trying to find an accurate ammo through my latest TX22

But missed the most (and would take every trip) was a .45 PARA 1911 I had about 17 years ago.

Gotta be a 1911 in some flavor. I've only gotten into the 1911 in the last year or so, however one always finds it's way into my range bag and usually in .45. just goes to show it's a timeless design that multiple generations still appreciate

Excluding my favorites: 92fs and 1911's
I'd say the most recent "fun" purchase I've came to enjoy is the 5.7 pistol from PSA.

Currently that has been the most recent that is fairly fun and outside the norm of what I shoot.

Virtually zero recoil, mags top load like a rifle mag, 23+1 rounds in a fairly compact package and it's cut for an optic.. something else I've come around to tolerating on my pistols.

Uhhh, I'd have to say, most times, the one that I'm shooting? "Most times" because sometimes I'm just not "feelin' it" with a certain gun I took to the range. but considering how seldom and far away the range is, always have more than one.
I get you with that .45acp. Something about a classic 1911. I have a basic Kimber Stainless II that is great shooter. One of my first guns. Bought that from Keith's in January 1911 2011.

Last Edited:
My H&R 649 .22LR revovler.
First handgun I owned....Dad got it for me on my 13th birthday many moons ago.
I shoot well with it...lots of memories with it too.

Shooting just for fun is a often overlooked and undertalked aspect of firearms these days sad to say.
Thanks for posting the OP.
Andy

Virginian dragoon. Mainly because the cost of even minor parts for my peacemaker got scary and it has too much history to run out it's lifespan with idle shooting.

Besides. A bit more iron never hurt anyone. 😁

It's built up it's own history over the decades, but won't break my heart as much as my peacemaker if it gives up the ghost.

My H&R 649 .22LR revovler.
First handgun I owned....Dad got it for me on my 13th birthday many moons ago.
I shoot well with it...lots of memories with it too.

Shooting just for fun is a often overlooked and undertalked aspect of firearms these days sad to say.
Thanks for posting the OP.
Andy
You don't dare discuss it anywhere but behind closed doors for fear of offending someone's sensibilities

You don't dare discuss it anywhere but behind closed doors for fear of offending someone's sensibilities and being labeled a home grown terroist
I really don't see it that way....
I know I do get tired of the over abundance of home / self defense firearm talk.

I find it ironic that most folks who do engage in such talk are also against limitations on firearms...
Yet some of those same people willing limit their use / enjoyment of firearms to a single purpose
Andy

I don't want to get to far off topic
Andy do you openly discuss owning or shooting guns in the office or hall ways at work
where other people that don't can hear you talking about it ?

Andy do you openly discuss owning or shooting guns in the office or hall ways at work
Yes I do...and I am the Dean of Students at a elementary school....
No red flags...no being told to stop...no shocked looks....not a whole lot of negative anything .

And yes...I understand that this is just my experience...and as such only really matters to me.

Kinda like my experiences in defense....
While not "home defense "....
I did have four combat tours when in the army...I did defend myself and others against folks who were wanting to harm or kill us.
To be honest...
It was easy to do so...since I didn't want to die.
So...
For me....the talk of what if... what is best ...and what not surrounding self / home defense gets old fast ....for me.

Please note that I am not saying that one should not discuss such matters or practice shooting for such situations....

I just find that for me....shooting just for fun...is far more enjoyable.
Andy
Edit to add :
Possibly the reason I don't have such a negative experience with openly talking about firearms is that I stress the fun factor in owning and shooting firearms when discussing such things with other people.
Nor do I push my thoughts on others...or use bombastic statements and the like.

And with all of that said....
Like anything...it is wise to know your audience.

Last Edited:
My favorite changes over time. It's highly influenced by what I've acquired most recently. When my kids were little, the Ruger Charger .22LR with a red dot scope made just about every trip out with us. Now that we're empty nesters, the Charger doesn't get out much, but I did plug a couple of grouse with it last month. I still shoot more .22LR than everything else combined. Lately, my S&W Victory pistol gets out of the gun safe more often than anything else. I've knocked off several grouse with it this season. Toward the other end of the power spectrum, I've been carrying my S&W 629 Classic in the woods quite a bit lately. I really enjoy shooting it, particularly with .44 Special loads. Both the Victory and 629 are more recent acquisitions, within the last year.

I know you asked Andy, but I'll answer anyway, YES I do, and I'm know as "the gun guy". I get two kinds of looks/ responses, the cold shoulder stay away from him or hey I've got a question.....

I like .38 Special. I also like .22. The .38 Special is a lot of fun to shoot through my 1894C rifle as well. I wish it was cheaper though, the prices for it anymore are pretty steep. Because of that, .22 takes top spot.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top