JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Canik has popped up on several reviews of hk vp9 and videos of guns with good triggers. I don't know a damn thing about them. School me on them if you know anything about them please. Especially what the triggers are like. I'm only interested in full size or bigger (if they make them) models. What's the best target model? What's the best budget target model? Not for concealed carry so don't have to worry about that part. Thx for any info.!

I've been around a couple and shot them. They operated and shot just fine.

The Turk's are very prolific in making modern firearms. And they are doing a very good job. A name brand goes to them, contracts a batch, has the maker put whatever name the buyers want, and it becomes the next great CZ, Canik, Tisas, Stoeger, etc.

I've been around a couple and shot them. They operated and shot just fine.

The Turk's are very prolific in making modern firearms. And they are doing a very good job. A name brand goes to them, contracts a batch, has the maker put whatever name the buyers want, and it becomes the next great CZ, Canik, Tisas, Stoeger, etc.
The biggest problem I have at the moment is understanding the model lineup. Rival sfx Fe is more $ than rival sfx pro which seems odd. And then there are dark side and -s versions (as far as I can tell). Can't figure out what any of it means.

It
Looks like "-s" stands for steel frame. Those are a lot more $ (similar to shadow 2). As far as I can tell anyway.

Then there is tp9, mete, etc. can't really figure it out. It looks like rival polymer with a red dot is $680ish which seems like good value fwiw.
But does rival have same trigger as "mete" and tp9 I wonder? Very confusing to me.
0C872CB5-FD30-4945-9E39-29322653693A.jpeg

Ok I found this on rediit which helps quite a bit. Pasting it here for anyone interested fyi:
-----------
As in ALL Canik models? Um, will you settle for most of the current-gen stuff?

ahem

The TP9 family is based on the Walther P99. Fairly basic 9mm striker fired pistol. However, the P99 had a much crisper than normal trigger for a striker-fired pistol, which Canik has improved with nearly every new model.

So, the older TP9 models are:

• DA = Double-action. the trigger has been changed to allow a full double-action, meaning pulling the trigger is in charge of fully cocking the firing mechanism ( striker ) and releasing it. This makes a heavier trigger, but it also gives restrike capability. So if you have a light primer strike, pulling the trigger again will hit the primer again giving you an opportunity to fire the round without doing other remedial actions ( rack slide, eject mag, etc ). It also has a decocker button on top of the slide, similar to a 92FS or CZ 75.
  • SA = Single-action. Simlar to above, but it's single-action only. Single action usually means a crisper trigger, but if something goes wrong, you must manually reset the firing mechanism ( meaning rack the slide ). Also has a deocker button on top of the slide that some people thought was unsafe. You could chamber a round then decock the pistol, meaning it couldn't fire until you racked the slide again. Some people thought this was a bad and unsafe design.
  • SF = Striker-fired. Changed to be a more normal striker trigger. Got rid of the decocker button and is essentially the basis of the current models.
TP9 Elite models are like TP9 v2.0

• Elite - This is the compact model of the TP9SF, like the G19 to the G17. The updates are primarily the ambidextrous slide release lever and change in backstrap mounting.
  • Elite SC - Sub-compact model. Also has an optic plate.
  • Elite Combat - This is a normal Elite that has some changes from Salient Arms International, like a threaded barrel and wider flat-face trigger shoe. Uses extended magazines and has optic-ready slide. Also has fiber-optic front sight rather than a white dot sight.
  • Elite Combat Executive - Same as the normal elite Combat, but in black instead of FDE
The Mete models are essentially the next-gen TP9 pistol. All have the ambi slide release and newer grip modules. The Mete models are marketed more as combat and duty sidearms and have blockier sights. All have optic mounting plates. Mete Pro models have threaded barrels and a wide, flat trigger.

Pistols with the the SFx branding are designed more for civilian competitive shooting out of the box. Fiber sights, longer barrels, often extended magazines and perhaps magazine wells. The original TP9 SFx uses the older TP9 grip without the ambi slide release. But instead of making the SFx into its own line, it seems Canik will leave that as a package option while the Rival will become the precision/competition line. Which is why you can get both a Mete SFx and SFx Rival ( though I have no idea why SFx is being used as both prefix and suffix ).

Everything clear as mud?

The Canik TP9SFX was NRA'S gun of the year in 2017 and the torture testing it went through was rigorous

It doesn't matter what model you buy you will love it, My TP9SFX has the best trigger of any HG I own and I have a few other brands

The Canik METE SFX I just picked up will be shot this weekend along with many others

The Canik Rival is a very nice pistol , they All come with so much in the accessories department sites, extended mag releases, Grip size changes ,holster and other things I'm leaving out.

I think all of them come with RMR cut on them I might be wrong on that feature all 5 I own have it

Go on you tube and type in the model your think of buying or interested in and watch you won't be disappointed

For the money it's a lot of BANG for your buck

Hope this helps you get off the fence

Last Edited:
The Canik TP9SFX was NRA'S gun of the year in 2017 and the torture testing it went through was rigorous

It doesn't matter what model you buy you will love it, My TP9SFX has the best trigger of any HG I own and I have a few other brands

The Canik METE SFX I just picked up will be shot this weekend along with many others

The Canik Rival is a very nice pistol , they All come with so much in the accessories department sites, extended mag releases, Grip size changes ,holster and other things I'm leaving out.

I think all of them come with RMR cut on them I might be wrong on that feature all 5 I own have it

Go on you tube and type in the model your think of buying or interested in and watch you won't be disappointed

For the money it's a lot of BANG for your buck

Hope this helps you get off the fence

Very helpful thanks!

A family member of mine has a TP9, and I've shot it a few times. It's a great shooting gun. It feels like a nicer gun than what it sells for - a good bargain for sure.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy one if I was in the market. I enjoyed shooting it more than my G19.

Ok I found this on rediit which helps quite a bit. Pasting it here for anyone interested fyi:
-----------
As in ALL Canik models? Um, will you settle for most of the current-gen stuff?

ahem

The TP9 family is based on the Walther P99. Fairly basic 9mm striker fired pistol. However, the P99 had a much crisper than normal trigger for a striker-fired pistol, which Canik has improved with nearly every new model.

So, the older TP9 models are:

• DA = Double-action. the trigger has been changed to allow a full double-action, meaning pulling the trigger is in charge of fully cocking the firing mechanism ( striker ) and releasing it. This makes a heavier trigger, but it also gives restrike capability. So if you have a light primer strike, pulling the trigger again will hit the primer again giving you an opportunity to fire the round without doing other remedial actions ( rack slide, eject mag, etc ). It also has a decocker button on top of the slide, similar to a 92FS or CZ 75.
  • SA = Single-action. Simlar to above, but it's single-action only. Single action usually means a crisper trigger, but if something goes wrong, you must manually reset the firing mechanism ( meaning rack the slide ). Also has a deocker button on top of the slide that some people thought was unsafe. You could chamber a round then decock the pistol, meaning it couldn't fire until you racked the slide again. Some people thought this was a bad and unsafe design.
  • SF = Striker-fired. Changed to be a more normal striker trigger. Got rid of the decocker button and is essentially the basis of the current models.
TP9 Elite models are like TP9 v2.0

• Elite - This is the compact model of the TP9SF, like the G19 to the G17. The updates are primarily the ambidextrous slide release lever and change in backstrap mounting.
  • Elite SC - Sub-compact model. Also has an optic plate.
  • Elite Combat - This is a normal Elite that has some changes from Salient Arms International, like a threaded barrel and wider flat-face trigger shoe. Uses extended magazines and has optic-ready slide. Also has fiber-optic front sight rather than a white dot sight.
  • Elite Combat Executive - Same as the normal elite Combat, but in black instead of FDE
The Mete models are essentially the next-gen TP9 pistol. All have the ambi slide release and newer grip modules. The Mete models are marketed more as combat and duty sidearms and have blockier sights. All have optic mounting plates. Mete Pro models have threaded barrels and a wide, flat trigger.

Pistols with the the SFx branding are designed more for civilian competitive shooting out of the box. Fiber sights, longer barrels, often extended magazines and perhaps magazine wells. The original TP9 SFx uses the older TP9 grip without the ambi slide release. But instead of making the SFx into its own line, it seems Canik will leave that as a package option while the Rival will become the precision/competition line. Which is why you can get both a Mete SFx and SFx Rival ( though I have no idea why SFx is being used as both prefix and suffix ).

Everything clear as mud?
Jeebus. What a mess. Why can't companies just number their models, maybe even just in sequence of release. I wouldn't start at #1 though, perhaps pick some arbitrary milestone, such as the 17th patent you received or something?

I have the original TP9 (Walther pattern) with 16 or 17K down the pipe, zero issues, all original. I also have a TP9 V2 (haven't shot that much) and 4 or 5 of the CZ pattern models (excellent guns!).

Not familiar with the newer models but I don't think you can go wrong.

I have 2 of the TP9SFX pistols, a TP9 Elite SC, and the Mete MC9, all have been solid performers with no problems, definitely something I would recommend.

I own 2 SFx's, one Mete and one TP9. I own an SFt, an SC, and MC, an SA, SF. I have never been one who sticks with one brand until Canik. I have 20K through the SFx TP9 and never a problem. I love the triggers. As a retired gunsmith, my opinion they are well worth every penny you spend. They are my "Go to firearm". My wife is an HK fan, but I notice she is shooting the Canik way more often than an Hk.