JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Did you think it would make a difference ?
I read a review some where, or part of a review on the interweb, where reviewer said well, "You NEED a piece of plastic they charge $10.00 for!" and then I got it and looked at installing it and thought.....heck this rifle is 60 years old and hasn't beat itself to death yet without a buffer so do I really need RUBBER inside the back of the receiver. If Siminov thought the rifle needed a buffer he would have put one in when he designed it.
Plus it was one of the few parts you could buy during the "panic". Forehead slap!
Brutus Out

I read a review some where, or part of a review on the interweb, where reviewer said well, "You NEED a piece of plastic they charge $10.00 for!" and then I got it and looked at installing it and thought.....heck this rifle is 60 years old and hasn't beat itself to death yet without a buffer so do I really need RUBBER inside the back of the receiver. If Siminov thought the rifle needed a buffer he would have put one in when he designed it.
Plus it was one of the few parts you could buy during the "panic". Forehead slap!
Brutus Out

If it helps I have two of them in an unopened bag, a gun smith guy said it was a much have to reduce recoils. I then read were people said these break up after awhile so I have them in my shop all new in bags lol. PS my SKS recoil was reduced by a nice butt-pad and added length that was helpful.

I ruined my SKS with tacticool crap in the early 90's when I was cleaning the rifle and the original stock split in two. I wasted about $200 on a folding Combat Exchange stock, 30rd duckbill US mag, UTG quad rail, ? brand rear cover mount and scope, Barska electro-sight.

Stupid. It didn't shoot worth a darn and looked ridiculous.

I removed all the junk and found an original Russian stock for $30 and put the gun back how it came. It's been a fine shooter ever since.

I still have all the junk I removed as a reminder of how dumb I can be.

So what firearm related item have you purchased on a spur of the moment that was a completely stupid idea?

Mine is buying 2000 5.56 links when Im pretty sure I will never own a SAW. It was a "oh cool, machine gun links" purchase that I then said "that was stupid"

At least the 222 rem I bought accidentally thinking they were 223 fit

View attachment 260725

I'll probably at least make a crisscross bandoleers of 223 to wear around the house.

I bought a savage 11 scout that I would haved preferred to have a 20 inch barrel. That is all.

1. 30 round duckbill mag for a Yugo SKS. Wouldn't feed worth a darn. I wound up using it as a target for target practice.
2. Folding pistol-grip stock for a Yugo SKS. Yugo's are so nose-heavy with their long barrels, grenade launchers and bayonets that trying to fire one with the stock folded is a waste of time.
3. S&W SW9 Sigma, one of the early subcompact ones with a blowback action that was a scaled up version of their .380. Pure junk.
4. Every cheap scope I ever bought before I finally did it right and put a Leupold on my deer rifle.

1. 30 round duckbill mag for a Yugo SKS. Wouldn't feed worth a darn. I wound up using it as a target for target practice.
2. Folding pistol-grip stock for a Yugo SKS. Yugo's are so nose-heavy with their long barrels, grenade launchers and bayonets that trying to fire one with the stock folded is a waste of time.
3. S&W SW9 Sigma, one of the early subcompact ones with a blowback action that was a scaled up version of their .380. Pure junk.
4. Every cheap scope I ever bought before I finally did it right and put a Leupold on my deer rifle.

I too have some 30 Duckbills never get them to work the 20's just fine, I see allot of people selling Yugos with the folding stock. On my Bubbafied one I took a Chinese SKS stripped it and made it into a Paratrooper size at that size and with the barrel shortened it works with the stock, there is a guy here in the area selling a SKS with the adjustable stock makes it look like it has a 3 foot barrel LOL.

OK I'll bite. I have an ancient 300 Savage. Still a lovely deer rifle. For whatever reason I bought a box of .308 for it. Yeah, I still have that box. shakes head

Perfect, pull the bullets, resize the brass into .300 Savage and have fun. :)

So many dumb things were done starting out. Bought so many things I didn't need or simply fell for good marketing.

My worst mistake was trading/selling my Saiga 12, my Beretta CX4 Storm, most of the dozens of Mosins I owned, my other Glock 17, my Glock 22, my Glock 26, my ruger gunsight scout, my ruger American 30-06, my ruger 10/22 break down, my first gun ever a mossberg 500 I got for 150 at big 5, my first pistol a Taurus pt111 I got for 250 the day I turned 21 at cabelas, all the AR15s I got bored of and sold to free up funds, and any other poor gun I was too stupid to keep since selling a gun is the ultimate sin.

In the 80s I little money and less gun sense. The guys I knew that had guns hunted so no one knew much about handguns. (Other than 1 co-worker) I had both a Jennings .22 & a Raven .25 and had no problems with either. But I bought a .380, a Llama I think. Couldn't hit anything past about 15 feet. Half the time we couldn't tell where the bullet went. My brother & I would joke we could throw the gun & have a better chance of hitting something. Luckily I had a Ruger Mark II & a Taurus .38 Spl that were both good shooters!

Grabbed a couple of boxes of 12 ga. shells on sale a BiMart one time. Got home and one was 3-1/4" magnums. Still need to buy a gun for those.

My best (worst) one - Gathering parts for a Franken AK build. Ordered an adjustable gas block during an Apex sale. Didn't realize till it came in, RPD. No way it will work on an AK anything. Thought I'd ordered a RPK gas block.

One more, panic related. I held out a while after Sandy Hook. Then PANIC. Bought an AK underfolder built on a Nodak Spud receiver for $800. It gets better, added 3 surplus mags at $45 each. Oh well, it's a good gun. Still have it. And has a good story. The mags got mixed in with some cheap ones I've bought since. Can't tell which ones they are so they don't bother me. :)

Wow, worst I ever did was about 85 or 90 fired 7.62 NATO blanks on links. I'm kicking myself for that while reading these?
Truth time:
Sold my W1300 with a barrel I had custom made a couple years back. TBH the only firearm I actually regret selling.

SERPA Holsters Bar none.

Only bought 2 of them to T&E them. Wore out the first one in about a week when the latching mechanism broke. Told some students to quit using them after one of them nearly AD'ed into his foot because his finger naturally found it's way into the trigger guard as part of the draw.

Never has a worse design been more effectively marketed.

Years ago I bought one of those M203 style 37mm "flare launchers" because it looked really badass under my AR-15A2 - "Say hello to my little friend!!!"..... Yeah.... pretty quickly I realized that.... it made the rifle muzzle heavy and unwieldy, I was never going to launch any flares with it, all the cool ammo for it was illegal, and finally I was eventually going to be tempted to play with homemade "fireworks" and either end up in jail or blow myself up..... Sold it at a gun show.

Switch gears a bit here: Stuff they make that Who Needs This?

I'll start with a $200 Timney trigger on a Ruger 10/22. REALLLY? Seriously, you need a $200.00 trigger on a $200.00 gun? That's a .22LR. I get they are great, fun guns, etc. but $200 trigger? At that price it should manufacture new rounds...

Brutus Out

Brutus57,
You sound like my Brother when I put a laser, a flashlight and a $70.00 scope on my $49.00 Crosman AR15 Pellet Rifle.:rolleyes::D All of that stuff was just sitting there in a drawer.;)

Must be a single-point sling around here some where....:p

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top