JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
True
And I just picked a price. But a black tail, we need really good optics to bring the light in. Mule deer? Distance. And heat waves.
I'm just convinced caliber talk is way way way overdrawn.

Yep, it sure is. There are so many more critical parts of a hunt and the gun/scope/caliber are pretty far down on the list. Good binos, boots, and proper clothing for the weather are way more important to me.

While that post was kinda tongue in cheek...
Folks have been hunting for hundreds of years with a flintlock...
Thousands of years with a simple stick and string bow...
And many of thousands of years with a spear of some sort...

My point is learn to hunt...if one can kill deer with the above , there seems to be no real need to way over think which rifle or caliber is "best"...
Andy

THIS! Best post of the thread!

bbbass, you hit the nail directly on the head! I love talking about rifles, ammunition, hunting, and many things related to it. Considering that I grew up in a pacifist religion, my 180 is quite amazing!

And I'm a lapsed Catholic... we kill everybody and burn heretics. However, we torture them first... the rack, the Iron Maiden, strappado, thumbscrews, forced water consumption, and burning coals. My 180 is being service and rescue oriented, and letting a few animals live every now and then.

What is the Absolute Best All-Around Deer Hunting Caliber

tumblr_oki3sydscL1s79vp8o1_500.gif

(Teehee)

Did anyone mention the .30/30 WCF? I haven't read the full thread, but my money is on that having come up. And works for me for our limited use of said at the present. ¡Treinta-treinta! :s0155:

Too tired to offer much else — weekend was crazy fun, today was grinder. The two females (small and smaller) are playing violin, while the two males (big and very little) are on their respective computational machines. And then I see this thread. It was long ago I learned to embrace the surreal. :s0165:

I've used a 5" GP100, shooting 180 grain rounds, to kill deer. So a .357 will work for deer, but you'll want to be close. Shot placement can get you a clean kill, even with the lighter calibers.

I shot those deer high up (near their spine), and they dropped immediately.The longer barrel of a rifle will give the bullet more punch than it has out of a handgun.

High Shoulder Shot

High Neck Shot

Heart/Lungs Shot

I've heard the expression "Shoot'em high, watch'em die. Shoot'em low, watch'em go." But it's not always possible to drop them in their tracks.

With all that said, my deer rifles are .308 caliber. Much better for shooting at things farther off. Having some shoulder problems as I age, so I use a muzzle brake to soften the recoil.

Of course, if we can trust our politicians, the very best deer rifle is one that shoots heat-seeking bullets and cooks the animal on the spot.

"Absolute best". Be prepared to hear every cartridge listed under the sun. The whole "best" thing is entirely subjective. What one thinks is the best, another will offer a suggestion trying to prove his choice is better. My best advice is buy and try every cartridge you can get your hands on and make that decision for yourself... ;) BTDT and I'm not even going to offer a suggestion as to which is "best".

Apparently, even skeptics see value in the most redundant threads!
These barbs and tongue in cheek poking at another member are only meant to inflame, it's against forum rules and we're better than that. Community Rules

Lets stay on topic, w/o the personal barbs and we can keep the thread open.

Last Edited:
OK.. I'll get into my world a bit. I have a few milsurps, mostly bolt actions and a shoot a fair amount at targets. I was serious about the Hakim. My best shooter is a Swiss K31, not too much recoil and spot on every shot. My Swedish Mauser Model 96 (6.5) is the most pleasurable rifle I own/shoot and accurate. Another wonderfully accurate and soft shooter is the Argentine Mauser 7.65x53. Enough power for deer or elk but shoots like a 6.5 swede, nice and easy.
PS: you can add scopes to all of these.

K31 with a scope?

Sure - here's mine.

upload_2019-3-19_14-58-11.png

I shot those deer high up (near their spine), and they dropped immediately.The longer barrel of a rifle will give the bullet more punch than it has out of a handgun.

High Shoulder Shot
High Neck Shot
Heart/Lungs Shot

I've heard the expression "Shoot'em high, watch'em die. Shoot'em low, watch'em go." But it's not always possible to drop them in their tracks.

Interesting. Nobody ever taught me that... probably because I was self taught and relied on books, friends, neighbors, barroom bs, etc. You know, a lot like a forum!! :p;)

Videos... too much shooting of does for me. I've had a few meat tags, it was ok at the time, but too many does in the yard in my old age (getting soft) for me to want to shoot one. (A doe and I had a staring contest two days ago as she was looking into my living room window a few feet away. Does are curious, when you are out in the woods, build a fire and they will walk right up to you and sniff you if you hold still. But I'd still shoot an elk cow for the meat... too many have almost stepped on me on the trail. Weird. <shrug>)

"Absolute best". Be prepared to hear every cartridge listed under the sun. The whole "best" thing is entirely subjective. What one thinks is the best, another will offer a suggestion trying to prove his choice is better. My best advice is buy and try every cartridge you can get your hands on and make that decision for yourself... ;) BTDT and I'm not even going to offer a suggestion as to which is "best".

.250-3000Savage is the absolute best!!!!

250+Savage+Rifle+Cartridge.jpg

Last Edited:
I went back and read the entire thread, and I considered it worthwhile! And I always miss a few posts!

When you created the thread, did you check the box to get notifications of posts to the thread? I don't want to get the emails but the alerts (usually, not always) work well.

Last Edited:
Status

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews