JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Well, my experience would bear that out. I'm a 6' guy with long enough arms that I don't enjoy straight stocks or short stocks. The angle of the stock from receiver to shoulder seems to make a difference too. But I couldn't tell you what angle is best for me. I also like a Monte Carlo comb to rest my cheek on... seems to stabilize things and reduces pain in my cheek.

My tactical shotgun has a recoil reducing stock that works very well. It moves with the recoil and soaks it up much like some of the old Remington/Browning autos did. There are a few recoil stock accessories but I've never seen one that moves like that. Could be good for enabling 30-06 or better. I'm still looking at getting my brake put on the .308, not that I need it, just want some comfort for more target shooting.
Here's a newbie comment for you. I wouldn't know how to begin to ascertain what is a good fit, and it sounds like that has more to do with recoil discomfort than with most caliber sizes! I have shims for my shotgun and don't even know if they're needed!

Here's a newbie comment for you. I wouldn't know how to begin to ascertain what is a good fit, and it sounds like that has more to do with recoil discomfort than with most caliber sizes! I have shims for my shotgun and don't even know if they're needed!

Re: the shotgun, in Europe they measure you for your shotgun and custom make the stock to their expert recommendations.

For both shotguns and rifles, the only way I have been able to find out what works is by experimentation. I go out and shoot various models, and see what works, what I like. Ie, I was soooo surprised when a Browning A5 that I didn't like turned out to be the best duck hunting shotgun I had ever used... better even than my beloved over/under guns!

Might give her a heart attack! :oops:
No might about it, would! She's a great gal, but she came from a pacifist bs background too! I have one son who is anti-war, love, peace, etc. and refuses to talk about my latest passion (his effing loss); I have another son in the military, PRO-USA (absolutely despised a certain Commander-in-fleece), teaches gun safety training, and owns more weapons than I ever care to own. He's my number one advocate for convincing his ma that I need another rifle. However, he thinks this should be what I buy next, and he swears by this gun for home defense. When he lived in a remote area, he had someone come to his door in the middle of the night. It turned out to be a cop about a bad accident. The cop had no idea what my son was carrying that night! Okay, back to topic.
J-8.jpg

Last Edited:
Re: the shotgun, in Europe they measure you for your shotgun and custom make the stock to their expert recommendations.

For both shotguns and rifles, the only way I have been able to find out what works is by experimentation. I go out and shoot various models, and see what works, what I like. Ie, I was soooo surprised when a Browning A5 that I didn't like turned out to be the best duck hunting shotgun I had ever used... better even than my beloved over/under guns!
When I was looking for my first shotgun, the Browning A5 seemed to almost always come up!

Nwever, he thinks this should be what I buy next, and he swears by this gun for home defense.
View attachment 560379

I own one and keep it in my nightstand... but it's only for room defense. I wouldn't use birdshot in it for home defense... IMO that's just OK for a shotgun, but tests done by hickok45 with the Judge .410 shows way too much spread to be effective at distances greater than 1yd!!!! I use Winchester PDX1 3" loads in mine, 4 copper discs and 12 bbs. Works better than a 12ga slug!!

Depending on where you live, if you don't own a handgun for home defense, he may be correct. IMO it is easier to get to a handgun in a home emergency than a shotgun. But if you feel comfortable with your shotty for HD, then not much to consider about buying a handgun before a hunting rifle eh?

I own one and keep it in my nightstand... but it's only for room defense. I wouldn't use birdshot in it for home defense... IMO that's just OK for a shotgun, but tests done by hickok45 with the Judge .410 shows way too much spread to be effective at distances greater than 1yd!!!! I use Winchester PDX1 3" loads in mine, 4 copper discs and 12 bbs. Works better than a 12ga slug!!

Depending on where you live, if you don't own a handgun for home defense, he may be correct. IMO it is easier to get to a handgun in a home emergency than a shotgun. But if you feel comfortable with your shotty for HD, then not much to consider about buying a handgun before a hunting rifle eh?
He's never shot 410's out of it to my knowledge. He is a believer in the .45! However, he doesn't currently have his guns, because his ex made up lies and the court made him lock his guns at the local pd. I swear, she didn't need any proof in her leftist state (even though he lives about 1000 miles away), and, a year later, he still has never gotten DUE PROCESS!!! His attorney said it would take about $30,000 to fight it. So, a woman can make caca up, no need to prove any evidence because they're her feelings! Chester that!!!

He is a believer in the .45!

Those will shoot .45 Long Colt. If you want .45, get either a 1911 in .45ACP, or a revolver in .45LC (Long Colt). Only get a .410 capable revolver if you plan to use PDX1s in it. (Edit: or if you plan to use birdshot to shoot snakes from 3ft :eek:)

Man I know has killed two BGs in two separate incidents with a .45LC up close and personal at arm's length.

Last Edited:
I think it may have been because all-around use cartridges in 30cal, and heavier bullets, were favored. As they could be used for both deer and elk. IDK, not sure. I might have to do some reading on that. IMO the mil-surplus availability of 30 cal may have been a factor.
I never thought about the 308 being used in the military for why that round is so cheap!

I never thought about the 308 being used in the military for why that round is so cheap!

Unless one is actually buying mil-surplus 7.62x51 Nato, I don't think it's a factor. Maybe due to price competition tho. IDK. I was thinking it was due to the popularity of the round that it is so plentiful, which tends to keep prices down.

Did you know that the 30-06 was a military round also? IIRC most of the cartridges that became popular started out as, or were based on, various military cartridges around the world. I think the 7mmMauser remains the most popular hunting cartridge in the rest of the world, but the 7.62x39 is probably more plentiful for target shooters/plinkers/terrorists/etc.

Unless one is actually buying mil-surplus 7.62x51 Nato, I don't think it's a factor. Maybe due to price competition tho. IDK. I was thinking it was due to the popularity of the round that it is so plentiful, which tends to keep prices down.

Did you know that the 30-06 was a military round also? IIRC most of the cartridges that became popular started out as, or were based on, various military cartridges around the world. I think the 7mmMauser remains the most popular hunting cartridge in the rest of the world, but the 7.62x39 is probably more plentiful for target shooters/plinkers/terrorists/etc.
I read somewhere about the 30-06 being a military round but had forgotten. Didn't know about the 7mmMauser being the most popular hunting cartridge in the world! I think the 45-70 government was a military round, eh? Hence, government?

I read somewhere about the 30-06 being a military round but had forgotten. Didn't know about the 7mmMauser being the most popular hunting cartridge in the world! I think the 45-70 government was a military round, eh? Hence, government?

Many Tatonka killed with 45-70!!

.308 and 30-06. I used those because they are all I have for deer. I have a CZ EVO Scorpion in 9mm, wouldn't try it, but it might work 50 to 100 yards. Illegal, holds too many rounds in mag.

I've used 30-06 in a 150gr. (on occassion used 180gr) and have taken dozens of deer over the years. It's a caliber that has been tried and true for decades....and used for all sorts of things. Ammunition is available everywhere.

I love my May 1944 M1 Garand....if only it could talk.

I've used 30-06 in a 150gr. (on occassion used 180gr) and have taken dozens of deer over the years. It's a caliber that has been tried and true for decades....and used for all sorts of things. Ammunition is available everywhere.

I love my May 1944 M1 Garand....if only it could talk.
Do you use a scope with it?

This will vary on your favorite caliber. Recently, I had a sales clerk at Sportsmans Warehouse suggest that I seriously consider a .357 rifle and practice cheaply with. 38 specials. His suggestion sounded practical but I haven't read any reviews yet about accuracy to what distance. I have heard no more than 100 yards. I don't think a hunter can go wrong with either 7mm-08 or 6.5 Creedmoor, and accuracy and distance is no issue. I recently read an article by someone who boasted shooting ten shots at 1800 yards and hitting the target 3 times.

That makes no sense, what the sportsman's guy said. Aside from the fact those are handgun rounds, why would you practice with .38 special lol? That's like practicing basketball to get better at football. Anyway, i'd go with .270 winchester. It's been around nearly 100 years, can be found anywhere, and is not overkill for dear. Some say the 6.5 creedmoor is the modern day version of the .270, and ballistically it is a great round but still has less energy at realistic distances (100 to 400 yards?) than a .270. Sure, if you are sniping a deer from 1500 yards away then maybe the 6.5 would be better for you but here where we have hills and trees that seems like a highly unlikely scenario.

Don't go believing every chowder head behind the Sportsman's Warehouse counter (and not just @ Sportsman's either) as many don't know squat about what they're talking about. Do your own research. They are there to show you and sell you stuff and that's about the extent of it.

Last Edited:
I guess one "could" hunt deer with a .357... but I always thought the fascination for it was taking one with a .357 revolver and 6" or 8" barrel. I :rolleyes: when I first read about that recommendation. I can see it for short range, but why would I want to limit myself/rifle in such a way?

Gun owner, shooter and hunter for 63 years and took my first game animal, a Chinese Pheasant, 63 years ago with a Montgomery-Wards single shot .410. Began hunting deer with an 8x57 Mauser carbine, moved to an '06, last deer was dropped with a .30-30AI. Somewhere in there a '98 Krag has gone hunting along with a '94 Swede Mauser and my favorite, a Savage 99 .250-3000. Last fall a Rossi .357 carbine because I have shredded rotator cuffs; took a huge feral hog with that carbine. Now I'm awaiting the arrival of a 5.5lb (advertised weight) special order Savage Model 11 in, guess what?, .250-3000. Actually I've killed more blacktail with a .222 Remington Sako than any other rifle but that was shooting game control on a gummint reservation.
So go buy yerseff that .308 and have done with it!
Bob

Status

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews